Didn't get away

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I hope not.....

freegaff2 and Cubeye like this.
  2. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I would eat it if it were cleaned and prepared within a day or two. No different than gaff hook damage. Just trim off damaged meat and enjoy.

Not so much if it spent a few days in the RSW. Too much exposed flesh to soak up the brine. But fresh would be fine.

FishAcquisition likes this.
  3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Sharks have a large amount of nasty stuff going on in their mouths, but they survive it all (likely because of an immune system that has been evolving for 400 million years). I for one wouldn’t like to expose myself to the same. There is a reason medical research is done on them and drugs have even been derived from that research.

4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Big difference....lots of bacteria in the sharks mouth.....

5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Still a damn impressive feat to wrestle it away from Whitey using only fishing line.....That’s a serious stamp of approval for your connections as well!! IMO you made the right choice Craig.

freegaff2 likes this.
  6. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Agreed. But there are lots of bacteria on most damp surfaces. As long as it was properly cleaned I would still be fine eating it. I doubt the processor would have taken on the liability of even donating it if they thought it posed a real health risk.

Just my thought process.

7. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    I talked to the deckhand who saw the attack...it was on the surface and close, but on the other side of the bow. He indicated that the shark was opening it's mouth to get an even bigger bite on the fish when Rocco gave it the big tug ;) For the whole trip, Nick was the only deckhand or passenger to witness an attack. I think we had maybe 4 other fish taken when guys went up and down, but they were deep...no visuals. Prior to our trip, Ray said the loss was greater than 50%. Was my first trip to the island that I didn't see several great whites...but I'll take it :D

Fishrock, the term "lobster bait" was being mentioned by the processors as I was doing the paperwork...I don't think anyone actually ate any of that fish ;)It did not go in the donation bin, just lay there on the blacktop. Before 5 Star loaded everyone's fish, it was gone.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Immediately after removing the gaff and before putting it away they always give the hook a dip in the sea water.

9. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Ok. You all convinced me to be a bit pickier in what I ingest. Thanks for keeping me safe. :)

10. jigfisherman

jigfisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh Huffstetler
    Boat:
    none
    So that little dip in sea water is as good as hand sanitizer for the rust on the gaff hook?

11. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Seems to be the reason they swish it in the water after using. Nothing is perfect.

12. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    swishing the gaff after the stick cracks me up....if it worries you bring steel wool and offer to clean the gaffs on the way down

Yellowtail Dan likes this.
  13. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Rust is not the problem. They are washing off the blood and bacteria from the hook. Better than nothing. I think most people know that. The Polaris Supreme, and probably others, use stainless steel gaff hooks.

Bill W likes this.
  14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Rust is iron oxide. While getting stuck with a rusty gaff hook can be hazardous to your health, ingesting iron oxide in small amounts do nothing to you.

Cubeye likes this.
  15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    These fish were laying out when we were lined up to board our trip to Guadalupe late October. I can't say for sure that they were going to the processor, but someone saw fit to keep that one with the enormous belly bite. The one without the tail section was mine. Crew said it was good, that they'd gill and gut it as usual (came it at 146 at the processor). The sharks were brutal that last week of October. My first time to the Island, only second longrange trip ever. I went seven-eighths for 6 (the 7/8 being the one without its tail), with on sawing me off under the boat, one hook pulled and 3 sharked. There were several fish with various wounds that were kept and either taken to the processor or home. I asked at 5 Star how much they'd have to trim off my tuna, and they said "However much is necessary." Haven't had any issues with what we've eaten so far. (Now I hope those photos upload...)

5.jpeg 27.jpg

16. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    In all my years I have never seen a boat keep a tuna that was shark bit like that.

Yellowtail Dan and Fishybuzz like this.
  17. Bud B

Bud B Fear the Kraken

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    Spotfin
    You eat in restaurants? You think every employee washes their hands everytime they use the head, wipe their nose, etc.

You know there are allowable limits of bug parts, rodent feces/hair, etc. in foods on your grocery shelf

You think damaged fish and other animals are not processed in commercial operations.

I've commercial fished on many different boats and fisheries. I'd eat that fish sashimi style. What I won't eat is anything imported from 3/4 of the world.

sonofahab likes this.
  18. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

and loads of people get food related illnesses at restaurants some even die......from the practices you have stated....

19. Bud B

Bud B Fear the Kraken

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    Spotfin
    So you never eat anything you did'nt prepare yourself?

Anyone with a shark bit fish they don't want just contact me and I will take it off you hands.

sonofahab likes this.
  20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Didn't say that...

I am saying many people get sick from eating at restaurants that mishandle food.....