Did my first 6 day - now I'm hooked

Team Brother

Feb 22, 2020
Fresno
Name
Chris Cordova
Boat
None
Went on the Red Rooster 6 day trip and fished Guadalupe Island. My very first long range trip and now I am hooked and want to catch wahoo and yellowtail. What's your recommendation on how long of a trip to look into and what time of the year is best. I am new to bloodydecks. Thanks Chris.

clemente_killa

Dead to the Core
Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
Welcome to BD! A late summer/early fall 10-day would be a great trip to catch yellowtail and wahoo. Pick a boat that meets your schedule and budget and get your trip booked. All the boats are pretty damn good at catching fish and providing for a great customer experience. After a few longer trips you'll find your favorite boat, captain, and crew.

Russ Scholl

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Welcome Chris! I am a newbie also-3 trips under my belt starting in 2019. Go on as long a trip as you can. For variety that would be the 8-10 day summer and fall trips for Wahoo and Yellow Tail with Yellow fin also likely. Mahi-mahi also on the possible menu as well as grouper. Good luck!

Reactions: Team Brother

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
Welcome Chris. Agree with the above posts. 8-day should be your minimum target. If it is a warm water year, you can expect wahoo starting in mid-July; if not a warm water year mid-August would be a better start time. YT are often better in the earlier time frame, and wahoo better later in the summer. Dorado absolutely better the later in the summer or early Fall. Whenever you get to go, there can be some exciting fishing to be had.

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
I second the excellent calendar advice.

For your professional (fishing) development >>
- I suggest really respecting and talking with the crewmembers....they know lots about fishing and have seen a lot
- I suggest spending some time at the rigging station - just chatting or listening to the crew and the experienced fishermen, and asking any questions
- Take a few moments to just enjoy the setting and your fellow travelers
- At least once or twice put on your goretex jacket and stay up late and fish and get up early and fish and enjoy the scene
- If the boat asks the fishermen to 'make bait' >> catch mackerel << take part and then -- if the boat permits drop one down and see what is hungry on/near the bottom

- as for gear, plenty of great advice available here.
My 2-cents, buy carefully and buy quality.
Don't be afraid of buying good used gear either from BD Classified or local referrals.

TIGHT LINES !

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy !!!!

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
If Lupe fishing has been satisfied.

Looking for wahoo and yellows. Fall 10 dayer on a boat with no Lupe permits. That's what I would book with wahoo/yt as the target

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Welcome to Bloodydecks brother. You will get a lot of questions answered here. There are some really fishy people on here, many of them will give you some great advice. I always say.... if you going to do a 8 long range trip... bump it up to a 10 day.... gives you more time on the water.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Went on the Red Rooster 6 day trip and fished Guadalupe Island. My very first long range trip and now I am hooked and want to catch wahoo and yellowtail. What's your recommendation on how long of a trip to look into and what time of the year is best. I am new to bloodydecks. Thanks Chris.
As everyone else stated, Do a 10 day in the fall. A Smorgasboard. Those are great trips and weather even better.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I agree with SODA. ...10 day trip offers more options travel wise as well. When fishing the "ridge" and ALIJOS. ... the 10 day is long enough to make it .... out and back.... should the weather or fishing be poor at either place. 7-8 day only allows the Skipper to make 1 choice of where he's going....inside first then outside, or visa versa. The 10 day allows the skipper to move back and forth between both targeted fishing areas depending on the conditions and the fishes willingness to bite. That.... my brother made all the difference on many trips I've been on. So 10 day if at all possible....would be BEST in my opinion. Worth the additional costs for sure. Either way....have fun. Welcome aboard brother!

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
X2 on the fall 8-10 day trips. We gave up on September trips after experiencing too many trips in Cubascos.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Rooster 9 day looks very appealing. If you had a good experience on the Rooster, (hard to imagine not having a good experience) then continue fishing that boat and building the relationship.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
I've done 6 and 7 day fall trips on the Searcher and an 8 day June trip on the Roster. Different targets between the two times frames for sure, but both boats are excellent. If you like the Roster maybe just keep up with them. I've been on both full and limited load trips and found I like the limited load a LOT better. Downside is increased cost. Whatever you do, just go. You can not catch fish sitting at home. When you go spend every waking minute at the rail with a bait in the water and above ALL else...have fun.