goldfinger81

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob A
Boat
None
Was on a day boat this week to fish Cat island and there was a decent yellow bite. I got bit and was fighting the fish as normal, and the captain was next to me coaching me along the way.

The yellow was making its runs and the cap wanted to check the drag (Daiwa BG spinner), and he twisted the drag knob at least a full rotation but doesn’t actually pull on the line to test it. A few seconds later the fluoro leader breaks off at the hook knot.

Was this the right call? At the time I didn’t think anything of it but now I feel like it wasn’t the smartest thing to do, esp sinc I was fishing 20lb leader. In the past deckhands would usually pull the line first, then adjust drag, then test. The only thing I can think of is that we were on top of structure and he was worried about getting sawed off. Thoughts?

Reactions: FishAcquisition

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Unless you were on the fish for an extended amount of time nobody should be touching your drag.

Was the line all chaffed up? That would tell you if it got you into structure.

Also anytime they see a spinner fishing live bait they're going to assume you're a noob, which from the sounds of it maybe you are, so I can't really blame the captain. Live and learn from it.

Last edited:

goldfinger81

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob A
Boat
None
Unless you were on the fish for an extended amount of time nobody should be touching your drag.

Was the line all chaffed up? That would tell you if it got you into structure.

Also anytime they see a spinner fishing live bait they're going to assume you're a noob, which from the sounds of it maybe you are, so I can't really blame the captain. Live and learn from it.
Yep line was fine but I could tell it broke at the knot bc it was curled at the end. Yes I’m still a newbie but have caught multiple yellows this season on same setup. I set my drag at 25% before each trip.

Ya it’s nbd at the end of the day. Just more interested in how to handle next time. Thanks!

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Yep line was fine but I could tell it broke at the knot bc it was curled at the end. Yes I’m still a newbie but have caught multiple yellows this season on same setup. I set my drag at 25% before each trip.

Ya it’s nbd at the end of the day. Just more interested in how to handle next time. Thanks!
Curl is a telltale sign of a bad knot.

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
For certain the Capt had the best intentions and really wanted to land the fish, but he had no way of knowing the type or quality of the knot you tied, nor the real amount drag you already had going. So, his actions did contribute to losing the fish and the moment he decided to physically intervene by touching your gear, he was no longer just a "back-seat driver".

This doesn't make it entirely his fault, but as you are experiencing, it leaves a bad taste that lingers. Chances are your knot would have failed anyways but the Capt sped up the process for you.

IMO, the lessons to be learned from this: Don't let anyone touch anything when you're on a fish. Tie great, not good knots. Be as loud as the Capt in shouting out to what's going on so nobody feels like they need to step-in to help you out. If you're not doing this, they most likely will assume you're a noob and get handsy.

goldfinger81

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob A
Boat
None
For certain the Capt had the best intentions and really wanted to land the fish, but he had no way of knowing the type or quality of the knot you tied, nor the real amount drag you already had going. So, his actions did contribute to losing the fish and the moment he decided to physically intervene by touching your gear, he was no longer just a "back-seat driver".

This doesn't make it entirely his fault, but as you are experiencing, it leaves a bad taste that lingers. Chances are your knot would have failed anyways but the Capt sped up the process for you.

IMO, the lessons to be learned from this: Don't let anyone touch anything when you're on a fish. Tie great, not good knots. Be as loud as the Capt in shouting out to what's going on so nobody feels like they need to step-in to help you out. If you're not doing this, they most likely will assume you're a noob and get handsy.
Appreciate the advice for the future!

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
I dont know...maybe it just me...BUT...I NEVER tighten my drag without at least pulling out some line to feel the drag...let alone a full turn of the knob on the spinner