Diamond plate aluminum flooring

blacktale

Jan 22, 2019
Salem, OR
Name
Don
Boat
24' North River hard top
Am thinking of replacing the flooring in my North river, dose anybody have aluminum diamond flooring installed in their boats.

The diamond plate sheets some times called checker board and tread plate come in two styles bright and matt finish, I noticed the the bright diamond sheets are slippery when wet due to the bright finish. Sand blasting for better traction creates a couple of problems warping and staining and harder to clean.

Dose anybody have the matt finish diamond plate flooring installed in their boats. If so are they slightly slippery when wet. pros/cons.

Cheers Blacktail

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
i would think it would get hot.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Diamond plate is very durable and is the main reason for choosing it. Downside is that it gets slippery once it gets wet and slimy. I would never put bright aluminum on the floor as it will get damaged quickly and blind you on a sunny day. If you go with diamond plate get the matt finish and plan to either cover it with a matt/carpet or have it coated with grit for real traction.

I had painted wooden floors in my boat that lasted 20 years and always dreamed of a diamond plate floor but ended up going with Coosa Board. It is cheaper, lighter and will last for ever. Not nearly as loud either. I have had it in the boat for nearly 10 years and am very happy with it.

Still cannot understand folks who think an aluminum boat is a hot boat. Aluminum conducts heat so it will be hot on a hot day and cold on a cold day.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

billa

Sep 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Name
Bill
Boat
20' NorthRiver.
I just had the deck of my Northriver Seahhawk replaced. I did not want diamond plate . We fish the boat a lot during the summer months primarily in freshwater and it seemed like overkill for our use. Also everyone likes to not wear shoes as much, so it is for sure more comfortable to not have it. Also as mentioned, it can get slippery when we fish on the coast.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Diamond plate is very durable and is the main reason for choosing it. Downside is that it gets slippery once it gets wet and slimy. I would never put bright aluminum on the floor as it will get damaged quickly and blind you on a sunny day. If you go with diamond plate get the matt finish and plan to either cover it with a matt/carpet or have it coated with grit for real traction.

I had painted wooden floors in my boat that lasted 20 years and always dreamed of a diamond plate floor but ended up going with Coosa Board. It is cheaper, lighter and will last for ever. Not nearly as loud either. I have had it in the boat for nearly 10 years and am very happy with it.

Still cannot understand folks who think an aluminum boat is a hot boat. Aluminum conducts heat so it will be hot on a hot day and cold on a cold day.

i only mentioned it being hot because thats the only side of the equation that would matter to most. if its cold enough outside that a "cold" deck would be a concern, i just assumed passengers would likely have shoes on. however when its hot, alot of folks like to be barefoot. so the heat would be a concern. its no accident that aluminum is a preferred metal for use as heat sinks.

Reactions: FishRock
Upvote 0