DC61

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I have never used it and do not have an opinion on it. As a consumer I love that there are more choices. Choices often mean lower prices. Spectra is expensive when you are buying 500 yards of line. I hope it's good stuff......

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bill, please tell me again why you dislike 16 carrier braid? Is it the way it grips inserted leader material? And using your favorite FG knot, that’s not really a consideration. I find 16 carrier braid much easier to work with, insertions, splices...

Reactions: Statistico

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If you put solid Spectra in to 16 carrier hollow Paulus recommends that is a disaster. 16 carrier is more expensive to make and unless you use it for splices only, fine... But it is advertised as super easy to work with which means it is a big tube. As far as round goes it may be round off the reel but wrapped around a reel it goes flat, harder to cast. The easiest casting would be 80# solid.

So I believe 12 carrier would costs even less, grip better, and 12 carrier would be thinner. The FG is one item in my choice of items to pick. and since you asked I would like to fish a short length of solid spectra in to my already installed 12 carrier hollow with that FG knot. That way i can change the solid out if need be and if the line needs to be cut I can splice the hollow.

It is a shame Paulus is not posting any more results as I would really like to see his view on this stuff. But as it stands from any angle so far for any product the material is all the same stuff. The weave can be looser and harder to work with or tighter and bigger hollow inside.

So that is my view, Just another shell game looking for customers.

Here is your TufLine XP being made...

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
If you put solid Spectra in to 16 carrier hollow Paulus recommends that is a disaster. 16 carrier is more expensive to make and unless you use it for splices only, fine... But it is advertised as super easy to work with which means it is a big tube. As far as round goes it may be round off the reel but wrapped around a reel it goes flat, harder to cast. The easiest casting would be 80# solid.

So I believe 12 carrier would costs even less, grip better, and 12 carrier would be thinner. The FG is one item in my choice of items to pick. and since you asked I would like to fish a short length of solid spectra in to my already installed 12 carrier hollow with that FG knot. That way i can change the solid out if need be and if the line needs to be cut I can splice the hollow.

It is a shame Paulus is not posting any more results as I would really like to see his view on this stuff. But as it stands from any angle so far for any product the material is all the same stuff. The weave can be looser and harder to work with or tighter and bigger hollow inside.

So that is my view, Just another shell game looking for customers.

Here is your TufLine XP being made...
Thanks for posting this video Bill. Love Ewing this type of stuff

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Yep, that’s a fascinating process and to be able to stand back and see the volume being produced was cool, too. One of the manufacturers had a booth at the Long Beach Fred a few years ago and had a weaving machine on display.

I really enjoy(ed) reading test results on the Paulus website. I hate to think about all those numbers, all that research and testing results are gone forever. But, I always took his editorializing with a grain of salt, seeing some of his opinions as just that, opinions not backed up with any empirical evidence.

So, we can agree to disagree on the sizes, gripping strength and ease of use of all the available braid products out there. Spectra being a trademark name for braided polyethylene fibers, (PE) and then we have Dyneema. All of these products are made from the same material called Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene or UHMWPE.

Where did 16 carrier braid originate? Did Jerry Brown decide to use 16 carriers for his 80 lb Hollow Spectra arbitrarily? If it’s good for 80 lb, why not 100 or 130 lb? Turns out, Jerry’s products were being made, and still are, by Honeywell and the specs for the 80 lb Hollow product were from the military and law enforcement folks because the best Multi-Threat Protection Body Armor is manufactured with PE braid and is superior to that made with Aramid fibers.

No charge there for all that info. But relating to us and our fishing, it seems like the biggest argument in favor of 12 carrier hollow vs 16 carrier is the grip strength on inserted plastic leader material whether mono or fluoro. I know one pro staffer for Izorline who maintains that their 100 lb 12 carrier product collapses down better than a 16 carrier product and provides better gripping power. On the advice of a braided products vendor, I decided to give Cortland C-16 Hollow a try for my topshots, using 80 lb for the Seaguar Premier products I use the most, 100 lb and 130 lb. My results have been successful. I also have used the 100 lb C-16 for larger diameter Premier like the 150 lb, and Jinkai 175 lb mono leader material, with diameters 1.17-1.28 mm.

For what it’s worth, I have had occasion to insert solid braid into hollow, single strand only, not doubled up, in about two feet, secured with a couple of nail knots. Never have I had a failure of that connection, not even any slippage.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Interesting that their standard Braid is Spectra and the new Gen 3 is Dyneema. Still curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Gen 3 Dyneema based line since its introduction at ICAST this spring.

I am assuming that it is similar to Berkley ProSpec and possibly Seaguar Threadlock.

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
For what it’s worth, I have had occasion to insert solid braid into hollow, single strand only, not doubled up, in about two feet, secured with a couple of nail knots. Never have I had a failure of that connection, not even any slippage.
I too have spliced solid into 16 carrier hollow on many, many occasions. It works great to connect two pieces of solid, and also to splice a loop onto solid. I try to ensure that the solid and hollow have similar breaking strength so they will have similar stretch. I also use four nail knots and six inches of Tac glue. Never had any slippage or failure. Yes it takes more time, but I have been very satisfied with the results.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Interesting that their standard Braid is Spectra and the new Gen 3 is Dyneema. Still curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Gen 3 Dyneema based line since its introduction at ICAST this spring.

I am assuming that it is similar to Berkley ProSpec and possibly Seaguar Threadlock.
Diamond does not weave their own but has it outsourced. One thing is the material that you start with, the next issue is how you weave it.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Where did 16 carrier braid originate? Did Jerry Brown decide to use 16 carriers for his 80 lb Hollow Spectra arbitrarily? If it’s good for 80 lb, why not 100 or 130 lb? Turns out, Jerry’s products were being made, and still are, by Honeywell and the specs for the 80 lb Hollow product were from the military and law enforcement folks because the best Multi-Threat Protection Body Armor is manufactured with PE braid and is superior to that made with Aramid fibers.

No charge there for all that info
Honeywell makes the fibers that are sold in straight bundles called deniers
http://www.standardfiber.com/materials/bedding-basics/about-denier/

Honeywell sells Spectra but it does not weave Spectra. Jerry Brown sells fishing line but does not weave fishing line. He started with Western Filament and had them weave to his specs. And slaps his label on the spool. Western Filament is TufLine. Jerry chose the right size denier from the choices that Honeywell had. He had to have a different “maypole” machine to weave that product. That is why Jerry Brown 80# or TufLine 80# costs more than their other 12 carrier product. (I do not know for sure but as far as the denier costing more or it takes more time to make)

Thanks for your input Steve...

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

I wonder if it’s one of the coated lines like Threadlock or Hollow Ace? Not a fan of coated braid, but I do like a few yards of JB 80 lb Blue for what might be an edge. I have 10 yards or so spliced onto some of my reels and have been using the same Blue for topshots.

Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
May 26, 2018
Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
I wonder about how to make wind on leaders using colored braid. I don't think the pliobond contact cement, I use on the inserted mono or the crazy glue type on the servings, would stick as well.

The loop in the main line would probably be ok , but opening the hollow core up on colored braid is harder.

I'm a big fan of using pliobond to help the mono grip the hollow braid. Guyster showed me this method and really appreciated his advice.

Last edited:

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
No one at all has tried this yet? Guess I might have to dive in first.

Reactions: Cubeye

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
No one at all has tried this yet? Guess I might have to dive in first.
According to specs for each the 100# and 130# are thicker than JB hollow the 80# is .41mm the JB is .43mm....... the 130# is a lot thicker than 130# JB.....FYI.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Diameters I’m seeing show me the Gen3 80 lb is skinnier than the JB 80 lb. I might get some of that. For 100 lb, JB Hollow has always seemed quite skinny to me, and not very easy to splice. Gen3 100 lb at .037 mm bigger than JB 100 lb doesn’t scare me off. Braid diameters resulting in good breaking strength and adequate line capacity are what I’m looking at. We’ll see about this stuff.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I got to be honest If i was in the change line mode I might glance at this. But I do not change a winner to go to something else. First you have the material and I know that there are two manufacturer names in my mind there. Dyneema and Spectra, both same stuff and Dyneema started it with kite line. Then came IzorLine brutally strong and Russ talked to Allied Cable about their product Spectra. Has anything changed? Maybe... The extrusion process got better. Does that mean Dyneema has improved it’s extrusion process? Maybe... What i do trust is the manufacturer that weaved the braid and the test results from Paulus. In this case Western Filament choose Spectra, which is the most expensive of the extruded material out there. Can they compete?

In my case I have not changed my Spectra since i had it installed. Out of all the companies that braid Spectra I like Western Filament. In my case the purchase is a long term investment. My favorite tackle shop gave me a choice of solid line with reel purchase. I choose Izor... That tackle shop since has pushed it’s own braid in place of what i liked. I do not know who extruded the material or who braided it but i can assume the bottom dollar is the main issue. There is a load of PE lines on the market and if cost is the issue, go get some...

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I got to be honest If i was in the change line mode I might glance at this. But I do not change a winner to go to something else. First you have the material and I know that there are two manufacturer names in my mind there. Dyneema and Spectra, both same stuff and Dyneema started it with kite line. Then came IzorLine brutally strong and Russ talked to Allied Cable about their product Spectra. Has anything changed? Maybe... The extrusion process got better. Does that mean Dyneema has improved it’s extrusion process? Maybe... What i do trust is the manufacturer that weaved the braid and the test results from Paulus. In this case Western Filament choose Spectra, which is the most expensive of the extruded material out there. Can they compete?

In my case I have not changed my Spectra since i had it installed. Out of all the companies that braid Spectra I like Western Filament. In my case the purchase is a long term investment. My favorite tackle shop gave me a choice of solid line with reel purchase. I choose Izor... That tackle shop since has pushed it’s own braid in place of what i liked. I do not know who extruded the material or who braided it but i can assume the bottom dollar is the main issue. There is a load of PE lines on the market and if cost is the issue, go get some...

Exactly....I am happy with the spectra I use no need IMO to change....saving a few dollars and being a lab rat doesn't appeal to me....

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Diamond braid brand had to change manufactures on their braid a few years ago... the QC of their new manufacture was NOT GOOD... their diameters were all over the board as I reported here on BD... I got some 65lb solid that was thicker than everyone else's 130lb solid. Be interesting to see what happens here with this Gen 3 product. If its still the same guys selling it just know they are one of the largest commercial fishing (long liner/gill net) suppliers in the U.S. and sport fishing anglers are truly NOT their priority (their customer service SUCKS with regards to sport fisherman... personal experience speaking here).

G

mak1

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 5, 2015
What is the difference between the gen 2&3
Is the gen 3 diameter correct, what dose it break at.

With been in the UK hollow core is not a common product iv a MAK 20SEa to fill for tuna between 150&300 but up to 400lb what would you go for and why.