PENN

Get Sum

May 13, 2009
San Diego
Name
Phil
Boat
Raw Dog
Hey All you happy fisherman enjoying this epic late season rush of exotics...

Phil here - I posted "ONO You Didn't" after shooting a 50# Wahoo last Saturday and having it weighed in at Dana. I wanted to let you all know that there is no record on file for Wahoo here in California... because DFG hasn't created a Wahoo file! I spoke with Kim Penttila at the DFG Los Alamitos office - and she basically told me that if enough submission were made they would consider opening up a new file for Wahoo...

Listen, we all know its rare to have these fish in town - but never the less they are here and their should be a record for both Rod/ Reel and Sport Diving.

Submit your fish! Here's the link: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/records.asp

If you feel like calling Kim at the DFG please do haha (562) 342-7199 - Give her my best.

Get Sum - P

iphone pics Oct 2014 106.JPG

iphone pics Oct 2014 142.JPG

IMG_4567.jpg

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
I didn't bother submitting mine because too much paperwork involved. I'm happy enough having the first one shot in cali waters. hell, i'm happy enough just SHOOTING one period... but then, I don't really care much about records anyways. Based on my day yesterday I think there will be a lot more shot in the next week or two tho. and TANKERS too.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I didn't bother submitting mine because too much paperwork involved. I'm happy enough having the first one shot in cali waters. hell, i'm happy enough just SHOOTING one period... but then, I don't really care much about records anyways. Based on my day yesterday I think there will be a lot more shot in the next week or two tho. and TANKERS too.

Are you saying that if you shot a #51 wahoo and the state record was #50 that the paper work would STILL be to involved to get your name in the books.....DUDE! Im calling BULLSHIT!

Reactions: Huntersmoon
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
Note to self:You need to focus more on diving....lets go shoot a record #51 wahoo.

Self:Fuck yea!Put down that beer and lets go diving...lazy fucker.

:/

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Epic year no matter how you slice it.

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
    Jul 2, 2007
    sandy eggo
    Name
    Dave P
    Boat
    nope
    Are you saying that if you shot a #51 wahoo and the state record was #50 that the paper work would STILL be to involved to get your name in the books.....DUDE! Im calling BULLSHIT!

ok. before this guy shot his 50#, i had shot mine.. at that time i had the only one ever shot in ca waters, which made it a record by default, AND I DID NOT BOTHER TO SUBMIT IT BECAUSE OF THE PAPERWORK..
    Some people just don't care about records.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    What a waste of time.... more fun catching than trying to get a fish in a record book...... if you want a record go catch a illegal fish and let the dfw know..... it will go on record..LOL.... with only one fish...LOL

Upvote 0

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
    Pacific Beach
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Pequod
    I would like to support your effort and spent a few minutes poking around the DFG website. It appears that submissions are for fish landed under the rules rather than a petition system to establish a file. Is this correct? I don't know and honestly my attention span is short when sifting through government rules and regulations so a little clarification might help your cause.

In any event, and once again, congratulations on a truly epic Wahoo adventure.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    ok. before this guy shot his 50#, i had shot mine.. at that time i had the only one ever shot in ca waters, which made it a record by default, AND I DID NOT BOTHER TO SUBMIT IT BECAUSE OF THE PAPERWORK..
    Some people just don't care about records.

Hmmm, How come it's always the guys who don't care about records who then come back and say theirs was the first, biggest or ??? LOL

The guy that REALLY doesn't care about records would have never even responded to this post to begin with...... just saying ;)

And seriously...... how much paperwork could it really be...... c'mon now :D ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    Hmmm, How come it's always the guy who doesn't care about records who then comes back and says his was the first, biggest or? LOL

The guy that REALLY doesn't care about records would have never even responded to this post...... just saying ;)

And how much paperwork could it really be...... c'mon now :D

The unknown fisherman:p:
    Bragging,posting and showing off pics of trophy catches and making others envious,its the bread and butter of this website LOL

P.S.I am truly envious of your wahoo Dave.Congratulations!

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    OK guys basically the way it works is you can ONLY get a state record for fish that are pre-listed on the DFG/W website. Wahoo weren't listed, so they're ineligible for a record.

Kind of stupid, right? The reasoning seems to be if a fish is so rare that you're the only one who caught one, they're not giving you a record because there's no competition for the record so it demeans the value of a record fish being notable for large size. I think this reasoning is pretty weak but that seems to be the idea.

All Phil is saying is if you caught a wahoo, let DFG/W know about it so they see that a wahoo record is legit and not just default, and that there will be enough competition for that record in the future.

I think it's worthwhile. If you caught or shot the biggest 'hoo, you should get a record. The way it is now, there is not and never will be a state record for wahoo. I think that's bogus. If you think it's a waste of time, buzz off, nobody's making you do anything.

Oh and just to add another layer of ridiculousness to the rule: you can get a state record whitefish by hook and line, because it's listed in hook and line, but you can't get a state record whitefish by spearfishing, because it's not listed for divers. These rules are insane. I've shot whitefish, and I'd like to know what the biggest one ever shot was. I'm all for Phil's efforts to change the rules.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

c sick

"IF YA DON'T GO YA DON'T KNOW"
    Aug 13, 2007
    escondido
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    "C SICK" 255 OS Pursuit
    Phil I'm gonna submit mine.Mine was posted on sat. weighed it in at seaforth landing it was dead nuts at 50lbs.My post was KNOCK! KNOCK! HOO'S THERE. Thank's Phil

Upvote 0

Huntersmoon

Almost A Member
    Jan 8, 2006
    here
    Name
    nombre
    Boat
    no
    Nice fish! Its a good thing to apply for and keep records, it's a legacy and record of the sport we are part of. As far as the paperwork being complicated, truth is far from it, I've applied for a few and its straightforward, easy. Photos, witnesses, certified scale, common sense things. Fish stories end up turning into rumors, and forgotten.

Upvote 0