Detained by Sheriffs Dept. today while target shooting on the water

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by rodngun762, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    lol...i'll give it a rest. But in Norcal we call that zero foot seas. :)

glad no one got hurt, alls well that ends well and you will survive this insult to your liberty. Nice sled.

ps I like my left elbow a little higher. :D

2. GUERO

GUERO Mansfield to Alijos......

Name:
    Big Girl, AKA, Miss March
    Boat:
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    did it two weeks ago on an over nighter, best time Ive had on the water in a long time

3. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    Again... the POINT of the thread was that I wasn't doing this in parking lot of Wal-Mart... do you acknowledge that there is a distinct difference of firing a firearm in FEDERAL WATERS after we notified OC Sheriff and USCG the day prior to our activity, and simply "shots fired" in any other urban environment?

Anyway, at this point in the thread all I am doing is deflecting inane and picky criticism, while no discussion of the actual circumstances of the event have been of much interest to the arm-chair QBs on this beer drinking Sunday afternoon.

If anyone wants to get back on track, I will present the following questions:

-Can an OC Sheriff lawfully detain you outside of state waters WITHOUT a federal agent on board? This is what initially happened, until 15 min later when the federal agent came in the other boat.

-On what basis of suspicion was our vessel boarded and us detained?

-Did we have the right to refuse to be searched? It certainly wasn't presented to us.

Guys, I ask these questions not because I want to be sneaky and I hate LEOs... it's just a matter of curiosity.

4. TheNewSheriff

TheNewSheriff Douche hater

Name:
    That guy who comes to save you when you break down at sea
    Boat:
    29' Crystaliner
    Hey Ryan, it's your buddy in the red boat who was out shooting in the fog the week before. I was so bummed when I heard what happened and have already followed up with the powers that be. Mr. Tuttle, I truly am sorry you're so short. And still can't keep your balance on a boat without grabbing a rail... And think that proper muzzle discipline involves holding your finger on the trigger of a loaded gun with the safety off... How have you made it this far without shooting your own eye(s) out?
    Btw Ryan, we shot 1092 rounds combined, killing and/or mameing no one and nothing... Thank goodness cuz it was so damn foggy that day we could barely see the bow of our own boat...

5. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Darwin is slipping.............

6. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    :rofl::rofl: Hey man, thanks! Maybe next time I should shoot in the fog... that way the Sherriffs and whale watchers couldn't find me!

7. mattbush

mattbush Member

Name:
    Matthew Bush
    Boat:
    none at the moment
    I love the guy from the mean streets of Carmel beating up on a guy from Newport. Honestly, huge nuts or not, who doesn't pucker when a loaded gun is pointed at them?

If you haven't shot a gun off a boat before then you do not know what you're missing.

Sorry you had troubles out there. It sounds like you did what you were supposed to do with the police before hand to avoid any trouble.

I'm glad that didn't happen to me.

8. Clay

Clay Poser

Name:
    Clay
    Boat:
    n/a
    No shit.

9. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Bingo! An example of the MLPA vigilante gang.:finger:

10. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X
    JD,

Recite Bejamin Franklin's quote on giving up freedom for temporary security before you go calling other people pussies. Guess they don't teach you what irony is in med school.

11. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Basically what you have here is> 1. a group of friends who went out for some good fun, i dig it. IMO, conditions were prime for target shooting....
    2. A commercial whale watcher captain who is most likely a left leaning anti gun person MLPA supporting SOB, saw you and called you in, just because he new it would ruin your day.
    3. Like I said before..I bet the caller exaggerate the situation...Whale captain: "I am a caption aboard the _ _ _ _ Dolphin Safari tours, and I want to report a boater shooting guns at sea, which could put my passengers at risk. We were less then 100 yards away, follwing a whale, and they kept shooting...The coordinates are...."
    4. Leo's go full red alert..they have no choice
    5. You have young men who live behind the OC curtain getting a taste of reality when dealing with Leo's in a Full Red alert situation. Welcome to the real world.
    6.You have BD's pulling the class envy card in replies to the posters thread. LOL
    7. People will learn from this
    8. There will always be assholes on BD's LOL

Piece and love, and way to go Tebow...you mother fu&ker. LOL :rofl: and what about the "Damn Spawn", and who is this guy called MLPA, and did you see the Mexican Sea Monster, and i like corn. oh yeah..Go 49ers.

12. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet

Ben Franklin could not imagine a Society post 9/11 with potential threats of Chemical, Biological and Nuclear attack (let alone hijacking jet airliners filled with aviation fuel and flying them into Sky Scrapers that house 40,000 people when fully occupied).

These technologies and problems confronting a Nation of 300,000,000 people could not even be dreamed of in his day, nor a country that has a Police Officer killed every ~2 days in America.

13. albiedamned

albiedamned Newbie

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Rampage
    Sounds like you are an angry little useful idiot, don't guys like you get paid to clean out dirty panties?

14. MotoHero

MotoHero Going Mobile

Name:
    Dwayne
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback "Forgiven"
    You haven't lived till you've had a gun pointed at you. You chose the best place for this discussion; since the on the water discussion with the lawmen is best avoided in my experience.

If you want to try it; here's a few methods:
    Stay out at night, park in alleys, put your other car's plates on your expired one, walk around neighborhoods with a black hoody and a backpack, knock on doors after dark; selling citrus based cleaners or magazines, wear a bandanna over your face, yell profanity at passing cars, to name a few. And last but not least; shoot guns where other people can see or hear you.

When shooting if you can see another boat in the area, especially a large one; sound judgement and gentlemanly behavior would dictate you wait a while for them to pass. As you have seen being right does not mean being left alone. You were investigated, deemed lawful, and restored.

You have rights granted by God, written into a constitution, then accepted by men, and upheld / restricted by men. Your rights can "temporarily" be abridged during an investigation/detention. That's what happened to you.

To deny them longer some "Due Process" is required. The Patriot Act confounds this somewhat in limited areas.

Hopefully your experience will make you a sharper individual with a clearer understanding of life.

The BD Jury is like no other.

Dwayne

15. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X
    Surely someone who had the calm under pressure (none of us could ever imagine) in quipping about the patriots hanging separately surely had the prescience to contemplate cowards giving up freedoms under any circumstances, thus my reference to his famous quote.

16. landman

landman watch your lips

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    g3
    RYAN YOU ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES, JUST THINK IF YOU WERE MISSING FINGERS OR HAD WATERPROOF AMMO YOU COULD BE DETAINED FOR LONG TIME.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

17. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    your agenda is that they do not have any right to do what they did...no matte how it is replied to you that they do have that ability. Hire a lawyer and let us know how that works out for you.

18. landman

landman watch your lips

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    g3
    RYAN ' I DON'T THINK THERE'S PEOPLE ON THIS SITE THAT CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTION'S. YOU MIGHT NEED TO TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

19. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    "YOU SHOOT MY CLAY"

20. bowback

bowback Bowback

Name:
    scott g
    Boat:
    24' SKIPJACK PILOTHOUSE
    I enjoyed this part of the story the best - being hand-cuffed to the rail / no life jacket with 5 foot rollers coming through. Sounds like perfect shooting conditions to me!

I guess I never thought anyone would be out in the ocean shooting skeet?! Maybe this type of activity causes those that make laws (concerning the coastline, ocean, et al) seem like they're doing it for our own good. I dunno? Pretty sure 99% of us would call about a boat load of __________'s shooting guns..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.