Department of Fish and Wildlife and the RP?

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Charkbait 6-day charter on the RP was met by F&W at dock and some anglers burned with over limits. Anybody on that trip? At about 6:10 is when he talks about fish counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Rudovsky
Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
Name
Steveooo
Boat
None
Crazy. I came off a 7 day last month on the RP amd they were pretty strict about our limits at 30 fish total.
following

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Yeah, there is always someone who figures out how to get a few more tags. :shake:

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I just came back from an 8 day on the Rooster...I would have passed the test....the crew tried hard to stop folks from harvesting too much. Dodo's are what mess everyone up. That and when the fish are small.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
It gets a little confusing when you fish in both US and Mexican waters. They fished a day and a half in US waters then moved south and fished 3 days in Mexican waters. What limits do you go by in that situation, US limits or Mexican limits? What if you fished in US waters the first 2 days and got US limits of YFT and dorado then you move into Mexican waters. Or what happens when you fish Mexican waters for a day and don't catch anything then you fish US waters for the next 5 days. Do you follow Mexican limits or US limits.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
It gets a little confusing when you fish in both US and Mexican waters. They fished a day and a half in US waters then moved south and fished 3 days in Mexican waters. What limits do you go by in that situation, US limits or Mexican limits? What if you fished in US waters the first 2 days and got US limits of YFT and dorado then you move into Mexican waters. Or what happens when you fish Mexican waters for a day and don't catch anything then you fish US waters for the next 5 days. Do you follow Mexican limits or US limits.
That's a good question. I would bet the DFW probably doesn't even have a straight answer. I've heard from a couple people that fished only in mexican waters and when they returned they (DFW) used Calif regulations on them, Two completely set of different regs?????

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
I was on multiple sport boats out of SD this summer (won’t name names) some boats were strict about limits per angler and 2 other boats let take way over limits (200 plus do-do’s) for 18 anglers on a 2.5 day.

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
I get the boat keeps track or try's , but personable responsibility, I don't keep past my limit no matter where I am fishing if I am the captain or someone else is. I keep tabs of my fish on the boat , just like I would catching walleyes in Minnesota.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I was on multiple sport boats out of SD this summer (won’t name names) some boats were strict about limits per angler and 2 other boats let take way over limits (200 plus do-do’s) for 18 anglers on a 2.5 day.
Sad to hear this is still an issue. Wish the intentional bad actors would be taken out of the game. I thought with boat limits the captain was responsible if the boat went over limit.

Reactions: Cubeye

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Sad to hear this is still an issue. Wish the intentional bad actors would be taken out of the game. I thought with boat limits the captain was responsible if the boat went over limit.
I thought its hard for a boat to be over-limit because the crew are included in the limit too. A crew of 4-5 would add a lot more fish to the limits.

Reactions: $norkle and Cubeye

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
So if you go on a multi day trip and come from out of state...do you get a Ca. Fishing license and if you do for how long? Doing an 8 day. Any suggestions?

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
So if you go on a multi day trip and come from out of state...do you get a Ca. Fishing license and if you do for how long? Doing an 8 day. Any suggestions?
The boat will let you know and will get you the license has been my experience.

Reactions: $norkle

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
I do this for three day trips, I buy a cal out of state license. I buy a single day and a two day license. If I was going for 8 days, you might just want to look into buying the year. But not sure what the cost benefit is by doing that. Call Point Loma, fisherman’s, they’ll know.

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
The boat office will have the answer. It is my understanding there is a 10-day Non-Resident license which can be purchased at the landing. Also believe with the 10-day there is a requirement to also purchase the Ocean Enhancement Validation. Will know for sure in a couple days when my 10-day trip begins.

Did this one time before a few years ago on a 7-day trip with the skipper asking everyone to have a California license which many of us bought at the landing - just can't remember what specific length non-resident license we got that year. We did end the trip in US waters and did very well on the bluefin. More than worth the effort and cost to get the license.

Salmondave22

May 21, 2020
Monterey
Name
david brown
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler
I have a friend who is a deckhand in Monterey. A very by the book guy. While he was working someone slipped 2 extra fish in their bag. There were 24 fisherman for 1 deckhand. DFG happened to be at the docks that day and found the extra fish. They charged my friend as well as as the fisherman. He went to court and his defense was “If I am at a 7-11 and it is robbed by some thug can I also be charged with robbery for just being in the store?” The judge said anyone and everyone on the boat could be charged. The fine was reduced to $500 from over $1000.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
the boat limit is correct. But it is also the possession limit per angler when you leave the boat. You can not have more than your limit in possession. I someone wants to give you their fish it needs to happen on dry land. In the past i have given fish away to other anglers and wrote a letter documenting this procedure. At that point I can only have in possession my limit minus the fish I gave away.

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Charkbait 6-day charter on the RP was met by F&W at dock and some anglers burned with over limits. Anybody on that trip? At about 6:10 is when he talks about fish counts.
I
like minded people. to be safe, you'd have to sleep up top on the "beach"

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I have a friend who is a deckhand in Monterey. A very by the book guy. While he was working someone slipped 2 extra fish in their bag. There were 24 fisherman for 1 deckhand. DFG happened to be at the docks that day and found the extra fish. They charged my friend as well as as the fisherman. He went to court and his defense was “If I am at a 7-11 and it is robbed by some thug can I also be charged with robbery for just being in the store?” The judge said anyone and everyone on the boat could be charged. The fine was reduced to $500 from over $1000.
The angler should have his license taken and not be allowed to fish or hunt for a year or more in addition to a heavy fine and the boat's captain should cover the fine for his crew member. That was a very unfair outcome.

Reactions: Salmondave22

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I’ve read the Mexico rules on dorados. 2 of those fish equal 5 of your daily total. Now I could be wrong, but 4 dorados equal 10
Fish. So you’d only have a total of 20 more fish to be caught for a trip over 3 days. Plus now your legal catch would be 24 fish,
Not 30 total

Reactions: okie man

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
After decades of fishing ....it's my personal opinion that the skipper... is ultimately responsible for the outcome... ie the fish counts. It's tough to pull away from "biting" fish in the 100# class right??? How many times does that actually happen.....compared to a wide open 5 - 10# dorado bite.....When leaving 10 minutes earlier would have guaranteed no problems for your customers.... or the boats name upon returning to the docks.

I know it's not a "popular" move.... but a poor trip ..... can't be saved by the an additional 10 minutes of angler and fishing pandemonium. ... that puts all at risk.

He decides. The Skipper. His word is law. He should understand what happens and how to make the best of the situation.... even if it means leaving early. His previous experience with the group.. helps his decision making as well. He has to reign in on those who believe its okay to "over harvest" and keep things above board. It's his job. It's his life.

Me personally.... have seen it all. Good bad and ugly. Decided many years ago.... you can't criticize others if you don't stop at limits myself....PERIOD. Many trips later.... I realized even releasing "trophy fish" was a greater rush than ....another picture at the dock with a fine tuna. Don't get me wrong.... I'm a fishing fool.... but learned to respect that beast.....One on one. You see I know.... I "wupped" him, he knows I wupped him... The crew and fellow fishermen knew I "wupped" him..... put him in "the count" and let him go. Be safe out there.