smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
In a thread I posted recently, I mentioned my posting was interrupted by having shattered a tooth when eating popcorn with the Granddaughter. A couple of guys asked about which dentist I use in Tijuana, so thought I'd post the info here. Certainly there are a lot of dentists to choose from; this is the clinic I use.

Washington Dental Clinic is located on Revolution one block past the Jai Alai building, and on the opposite side of the Blvd. Although they don't have a webpage per say, there are reviews that provide the list of services and prices for those services. If you choose to drive across, there is free, safe parking on site. If you don't have SENTRI or Global Crossing permits, they can issue you a medical pass for expedited re-entry into the U.S.in that other lane- don't remember what it's called (Ready??). If you prefer to walk across, go to the taxi stand and have the taxi take to Washington Dental. You DO NOT pay for the ride- to or/and from the clinic! When the taxi pulls up to the clinic, a receptionist will meet you and pay the taxi directly ($5-). When you are ready to return to the border, the receptionist will hand the taxi the fare ($5-) for the return trip.

The clinic is immaculately clean and has a very comfortable, air conditioned waiting room, complete with free wifi, sodas and bottled water, and constant movies playing. (Prior to the pandemic, they offered free snacks, but have ceased this.) When you enter, you will be assigned an English speaking "chaperone" to help translate your conversation between the Doctor and you. Typically, a set of xrays will be performed to help establish your treatment course. My xrays were performed "digitally"; that is, they were immediately available on a monitor right in front of me! (First time I'd seen anything like this.) At this point, your chaperone will discuss pricing. I've been going to Washington Dental for years, and have always asked for Edgar. I have found him to be super knowledgeable and easy to understand the whats & whys of the recommended treatment. He knows me and the wife by name, and we greet each other as ol' friends. There are anywhere from 3-5 dentists (doctors) and any number of hygienists ready to serve patients.

Pricing: in my case of shattering a molar, xrays revealed the two on either side were going to be problematic in the future, so I accepted the evaluation that I was a candidate for 3 crowns. I was also needing a hygienist cleaning as it last was performed prior to the COVID shutdown. So, full set of xrays- uppers, lowers, left & right, full deep cleaning, removal of old fillings & prepping three teeth, temp crowns, (one week later) 3 permanent crowns= $1,200 USD. Basically the deep cleaning and xrays were free, and the 3 crowns were discounted as a repeat customer. I drove so I didn't need a taxi, and have SENTRI so I didn't need the pass for the border.

Additional services: Washington Dental has pharmaceuticals in-house for the care of the procedures they perform. Edgar was able to direct me to several nearby eateries while I waited for a doctor. Pretty much all of their patients are walk-ins, and they will all get to be seen same day, but certainly try to arrive at least the first half of the day. They are open Saturdays, but are closed Sundays. Cash and U.S. credit cards are accepted and are secure; U.S. dental insurance is not, BUT they will help by providing you the billing codes for services rendered. I have seen them assist a patient that chose not to cross back into the U.S. same day, to be driven to a local area hotel to spend the night.

Discounts: given to repeat dental customers. As I've said, cleanings and xrays can be "comp'ed". I have mentioned to Edgar previously that I have been asked about Washington Dental Clinic by several BD'ers in the past. So here's what I asked for and was given the okay by Edgar: if any BD'ers end up dropping by for dental care, ask if Edgar is working that day, and let them know you are a fisherman/gal and he will honor you with a discount on THEIR prices.

I really believe anyone stopping in will be very pleasantly impressed with the dental clinic. I have friends in Idaho that have said they need to plan on stopping by the next time that we all go fishing so they could get impressions done, then pick them up when we return from the fishing trip. Hope this info helps you all.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I’ve been thinking about heading down to Juarez for the same as it’s only about 3.5 hours south.

I lost a crown and chipped off a bit of the tooth in the process. With a pay cash “discount,” it was $1700 to replace. No reach around included.. The insurance companies make it cost prohibitive for the US medical system to be affordable.

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat Name
Lard ass
:D

chrup.jpg

Reactions: frijolito
Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Has Moderator Powers
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Franks ho
I have a great dentist in TJ.
Carlos at Dentista Italia on 10th Ave.
He took American insurance and also came to this side of the border to work at a relatives dentist office in north county.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
I’ve been thinking about heading down to Juarez for the same as it’s only about 3.5 hours south.

I lost a crown and chipped off a bit of the tooth in the process. With a pay cash “discount,” it was $1700 to replace. No reach around included.. The insurance companies make it cost prohibitive for the US medical system to be affordable.
Is this for one crown??

Upvote 0