fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
OK don't kill the messenger but I just read a article about certain drugs in the class called anticholinergics if used regularly for several years could increase the likelihood of one developing dementia as they age......scopolamine and Benadryl are in this classification ....just a FYI.....some may be interested.....

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
OK don't kill the messenger but I just read a article about certain drugs in the class called anticholinergics if used regularly for several years could increase the likelihood of one developing dementia as they age......scopolamine and Benadryl are in this classification ....just a FYI.....some may be interested.....
Bummer. One reason I don’t like the patch is not being able to control the uptake. I always try to go with the smallest pill dose as possible when I need it. Sounds like there’s more of a driver now to keep that practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishybuzz

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Bummer. One reason I don’t like the patch is not being able to control the uptake. I always try to go with the smallest pill dose as possible when I need it. Sounds like there’s more of a driver now to keep that practice.
I cut my patches in half,it still works without the extreme side effects.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I cut my patches in half,it still works without the extreme side effects.
I have a good stash of Kwells (and its generic, JoyRides). I only take a kids’ dose when I feel like I might need it.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Here's an article about it. JAMA is a very well respected medical journal (yes, it made a mistake with a vaccine article that has since been dis-credited but which helped spawn the anti-vaxers, but overall JAMA is considered to be top-notch).

I have no medical background, but from what I can gather, the risk of these drugs being linked to dementia increases with age and other risk factors for dementia (including a diagnosis of mild dementia). It sounds like if there are alternative drugs available, it could be a good idea to use them instead. Read for yourself if you want:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2736353

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
Suck it
and windmills cause cancer "Believe me it came from a Huge unreliable source"

Reactions: embo

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
scopolamine is given in heavy doses for days on end by nefarious people and various intel agencies to get people to do and say "things" that they would not normally do and/or say. Afterwards, they have no memory of what happened.

Reactions: Blackfish

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
This would explain a lot of the posts in the LR Forum...

IE a new thread on how to connect braid to fluoro every 20 minutes... :D

captain94704

Aug 19, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Jack
Boat
none
As a physician who prescribes scopolamine on a regular basis and personally uses scopolamine I reviewed the full text of the article. This paper was an observational study which is a weaker study compared to other designs. The study looked at a variety of antichollinergic drugs that are significantly different than scopolamine and are also taken everyday. The highest risk drugs were “antidepressants, antiparkinson drugs, antipsychotics, bladder antimuscarinics, and antiepileptic drugs”. So to simplify it this study may show risk of powerful anticholineric drugs taken everyday and dementia but I don’t think the risk of scopolamine is significant for the average user.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
As a physician who prescribes scopolamine on a regular basis and personally uses scopolamine I reviewed the full text of the article. This paper was an observational study which is a weaker study compared to other designs. The study looked at a variety of antichollinergic drugs that are significantly different than scopolamine and are also taken everyday. The highest risk drugs were “antidepressants, antiparkinson drugs, antipsychotics, bladder antimuscarinics, and antiepileptic drugs”. So to simplify it this study may show risk of powerful anticholineric drugs taken everyday and dementia but I don’t think the risk of scopolamine is significant for the average user.

However given even a slight risk would you agree that people may want to consider other medications to control sea sickness if possible? I am fortunate and do not suffer from getting sea sick so perhaps scopolamine is the holy grail of sea sick meds...what I do know is dementia is a horrible malady which I would do everything I could do to not get it......I have had to deal with it first hand with some relatives.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white