I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Not really limited to Baja, but....

As of now at least, Delta still allows 2 free check-in bags per person on international flights. Will a rod tube (6 feet long) count as one of the free bags or will I have to pay because it it "oversized"?

surf n turf

fishing addict
Feb 22, 2010
MN
Name
Scott
Boat
Alumacraft Navigator 175
I'm not sure if they changed the rules over the last year. We flew to Mexico last March on Delta and I brought my tube extended out to nearly 8 feet without being charged. The airlines lost the tube going both ways but it was located and delivered to the hotel the next day and delivered to my house the next day on the return flight.

tecateando

Jan 11, 2009
Ensenada, BC, MX
Name
Forrest
Boat
Parker 1801 CC, "La Mañanera"
its been a while for me but i am pretty sure the last time i flew they considered a selection of tackle (rod tube, tackle box, etc) one item. things may have changed though.

landlok'd

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 13, 2007
MN
Name
Terry
Boat
20' bay Champ
American airlines in October...they have the same limitations, but it's never been a problem...but in Oct they did mention it for the first time. Said they'd let it go......

bendorbreak

Dec 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Name
Jeb
Boat
Eddy Cleaver, 21' Seaswirl
At AlaskaAir the current policy for fishing rods is as follows. A rod tube can be counted as a piece of regular check through if it meets to following conditions; not over ll5 inches and less than 51 pounds. The inches measurement is length + height + width. If it falls outside these parameters it is subject to oversize/overweight charges.

Don't know about Delta. However, I always carry a copy, from the airlines website, detailing their policies regarding baggage charges. This can come in handy if the airline personnel aren't quite sure about their policies.

catmagic

Sep 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Jeff
Boat
26 foot Glacier Bay Cat Magic
Flew Delta from Phoenix to Matzatlan in March. They wanted "hundreds" for an oversized (Bazooka) rod tube. They measured length x width. Left rods in truck. Next time, I will buy a few Okuma travel rods.

Also, they made us empty all reels and kept the spools of extra line in our carry-on's before boarding in Mexico. Don't like Delta's policies....