Defiance admiral 220 ex owners, care to share?

gillyd

CPTANGLER
Mar 29, 2007
LA/OC
Name
gilbert
Boat
EL COYOTE CREW
My brother is seriously looking into purchasing a new defiance 220 ex, anyone that owns one or are familiar with them care to chime in with pros and cons? boat comes with mercury 150 4 stroke EFI motor? should he get a 200 verado instead? or a yammi? boat comes with transom bracket, thats a plus right? $3000 in dealer electronics, what should he ask for, cf radio, gps/ff? transducer type? socal guy so his type of fishing will consist of island and offshore trips, thanks in advance for the feedback

Upvote 0

mikeyairtime

Fish Magnet
Apr 14, 2007
Lomita, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Julia J" & "Berzerker"
I spent a considerable amount of time in one. The reason the Yamaha 150 works so well on those is that it's an under-rated motor that makes a bit over 170 hp. Notice how Yamaha's 200 switched to a 4 cylinder now. Don't know the Mercury but the 200 of either motor may get better fuel burn in the long run. The boat get's bow heavy with a tower/hoop on the roof and some big guys in the house so I'd go with the outboard bracket. It's a good hull.

Upvote 0

Alice Archer

Feb 8, 2014
Name
Alice Archer
Boat
Admiral
I can't tell you about a 220 ex but the 250 admiral in a fantastic ruff water boat the only complaint that I have with defiance is customer service it just stinks I bought the boat at the factory in Bremerton washington I was told it had been water tested when I took it I couldn't get it off trailer winch was positioned wrong then the boat motor was positioned wrong had to be raised steering was stiff found hydraulic line was kinked it is my opinion that once you buy they are done

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I can't tell you about a 220 ex but the 250 admiral in a fantastic ruff water boat the only complaint that I have with defiance is customer service it just stinks I bought the boat at the factory in Bremerton washington I was told it had been water tested when I took it I couldn't get it off trailer winch was positioned wrong then the boat motor was positioned wrong had to be raised steering was stiff found hydraulic line was kinked it is my opinion that once you buy they are done

Post this in the WA forum and see what happens.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Ive owned my defiance 220 ex for 7 years now and Im very happy with it.

My only negative would be the transom bracket.The boat that I had test drove from the dealer had an Armstrong bracket and mine had an aluminum bracket,Im assuming fabbed in-house. I had to modify it slightly.See pic.The bracket corners would actually dig into the water as I throttled up to get on plane.I had to take some starboard material and screw it into place so as to make it flat and skim off the water.

I felt customer service was great.My scuppers leaked and they replaced (sent me)a set of those ping pong ball type scuppers for free....lifetime warranty on the hull.cant go wrong.

If I knew then what I know now I woukld ask for an Armstrong bracket,better quality build and its flat.

Feel free to show defiance this pic,im curious as to their thoughts.
transom.jpg
transom.jpg

Upvote 0

Ragin Cajun

There's no better place than on the water!
Apr 17, 2014
Port Orchard
Name
Pete
Boat
Defiance Admiral 270,
Is this the same post from a month ago? Love the boat. Go bigger than a 150. We have a yam 200. 4/5 people full tank of gas and gear that 150 will be a dog in the ocean. If you are going to use it inland than it np maybe ok. Send me a pm if you have direct question. Love the boat for what it is. Pete.

Reactions: gillyd
Upvote 0

gillyd

CPTANGLER
Mar 29, 2007
LA/OC
Name
gilbert
Boat
EL COYOTE CREW
Thanks Pete, yes this is the same thread from a month ago. I just posted it in two different forums at the same time. We did go with a YAM 200 and expect delivery of the vessel in a few days. We cant wait.

Upvote 0

watsoncali

Almost A Member
Feb 3, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Name
Billy
Boat
"The Dog House" (Defiance 220 EX) & a 17' aluminum boat
I have the same boat, I love it. I have done quite a few things to it since I bought it. When I bought it, I drove up there and picked it up and had a good time up there. When I call them, I don't get the love that I should get. It is a great boat and I wish it had a 200 hp

Reactions: gillyd
Upvote 0

Kohala

Jun 15, 2019
Sequim, WA
Name
Jim Nurse
Boat
Boulton
Gilbert,
I’m taking a very close look at the 220EX. I’ve been to the Defiance shop twice. I continue to like what I see. Your original post was dated from back in 2015. Now that you have had your 220EX for many years, would you be willing to provide your thoughts on your decision to purchase that particular boat?

Upvote 0

eectech

Jul 3, 2015
Name
Rick
Boat
Defiance 220 EX, Ostmen
I just picked up a 2017 with a Yamaha 200 & 9.9 kicker. I believe the bracket is an Armstrong. This is my first glass boat and what a difference! Ride is amazing vs previous 20' aluminum w/offshore. Both boats have/had trim tabs. I find myself using them more with glass hull. The new boat is nearly 3x heavier than my previous aluminum. A half second bow down on tabs button really speeds up getting on plane. Haven't maxed her out yet due to break in period however very impressed thus far! Full tank of fuel with two adults,gear and a bunch of tools on board "still rigging" 42 mph near top end. One thing ill be adding for sure will be trim tab position indicators.

Upvote 0

Kohala

Jun 15, 2019
Sequim, WA
Name
Jim Nurse
Boat
Boulton
Rick,
I’m looking at the same boat (220EX with Yamaha 200&9.9 Yamaha kicker). Hoping to get to a point where I can have Defiance build it for me but considering all options. What electronics are your running? I’m looking at the Raymarine Element 9 S MFD so that I can couple it with the Raymarine Quantum Q24W Doppler....
Your thoughts?

Upvote 0

eectech

Jul 3, 2015
Name
Rick
Boat
Defiance 220 EX, Ostmen
Rick,
I’m looking at the same boat (220EX with Yamaha 200&9.9 Yamaha kicker). Hoping to get to a point where I can have Defiance build it for me but considering all options. What electronics are your running? I’m looking at the Raymarine Element 9 S MFD so that I can couple it with the Raymarine Quantum Q24W Doppler....
Your thoughts?

Mine has a Gramin 7610 with 12” display & radar. The unit is dash mounted and works great. Personally I wish it was ram mounted. Would have saved a bunch of dash space and been very easy to see at second station.

I’ll be mounting a 7” HDS at the second station next time she’s out of the water.

Hard to go wrong with Raymarine, caution against flush dash mounting if you want to see it from the deck.

Upvote 0

Kohala

Jun 15, 2019
Sequim, WA
Name
Jim Nurse
Boat
Boulton
Great heads up on the dash mount issue for second helm readability! I hadn’t considered that. Not planning to have the second helm station at this point so I may stick with the dash mount. Thanks!

Upvote 0

eectech

Jul 3, 2015
Name
Rick
Boat
Defiance 220 EX, Ostmen
Great heads up on the dash mount issue for second helm readability! I hadn’t considered that. Not planning to have the second helm station at this point so I may stick with the dash mount. Thanks!

We pretty much troll 90% of the time. The rear helm with chair is awesome. Got kicker controls and pass through if wanted
5893E4F5-8253-4FFF-9739-E19923376361.jpeg

Upvote 0

Kohala

Jun 15, 2019
Sequim, WA
Name
Jim Nurse
Boat
Boulton
Very nice! A great feature on the Defiance.
I generally have a pal along when I fish. Really helps when we are Picking up buoy lines for Spot shrimp and crab. If we are jigging for blackmouth we take turns at the helm to control the drift so the line is vertical. Also use the boat for surfing (!) to access some remote breaks and having a windless for anchoring is more of a priority....talk about a multi-use platform.

Reactions: eectech
Upvote 0

WestcoastSavage

Kobe forever
Aug 5, 2018
Name
Lopro
Boat
2019 250ex Lo Pro
I have the same boat, I love it. I have done quite a few things to it since I bought it. When I bought it, I drove up there and picked it up and had a good time up there. When I call them, I don't get the love that I should get. It is a great boat and I wish it had a 200 hp

Still loving the defiance 220

Upvote 0