Deep water rock coding.

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Tar Pit, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Is this even done anymore? I still have my gear and about 50 pounds of lead. :-) Big fat reds 6 at a time and always a colorful bunch of anglers on board those trips too.

2. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    No .... The governmental tree hungers closed it forever plus one day. So, my children will never be able to see a cowcod float a three pound sinker. In fact, my children will never be able to see a cowcod in the wild.

3. marzocchi

marzocchi Captain Seasick

Name:
    Dat
    Boat:
    Aww Shucks
    Your kids will see a cowcod. I see them quite a bit. It will be just floating away with the seagulls picking its eyes out.

4. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Fish descenders are available. Use one. May not be a 100% revival rate but much, much higher chances than the floaters...

5. OCEAN theRAPIST

OCEAN theRAPIST Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    randy
    Boat:
    ocean therapist
    like he said have you seen a cow cod float a 3 pound sinker? last one i got off la jolla must have been 20 pounds. biggest i had seen. i tried everything in the boat to get it down. had to use the anchor. pretty sad to see it but that fish came up 5 minutes later.

6. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    It's never 100%. The SeaQualizer I've got maxes out at 150'. The 300' model might be better suited though I probably wouldn't have had either ready and rigged to the boat anchor. My hat's off to you for trying.

7. Billy V

Billy V Seabass Commando

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    If the fish is going to die because you can't send it back down or revive it, do something positive with it.

Eat it.

Some laws are just plain wrong, don't be a chicken and disgrace the honor of that fish.

Duong_ha_1 likes this.
  8. Duong_ha_1

Duong_ha_1 Member

Name:
    Tuan
    Boat:
    None
    Then someone come along n rat you out.

9. Billy V

Billy V Seabass Commando

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    I don't care much what other people do, think, or say. I live my life by a set of rules governed by logic and common sense.
    If the fish is not going back down after I try with my desender, there is little choice other than a wasteful death.
    I have a modified desender that lowers all but the biggest fish, much more lead than the average unit.
    If all else fails, defer to common sense.

All my fish come from Mexico anyway, because there is no chance of catching a decent sized Red here in California due to illogical restrictions that assure dink size fish are wiped out.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  10. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    The law is not wrong, because the law has to apply to everyone, not just the few who don't try to find a way around it. There's logic, as an individual, to eating/keeping a fish that you have no way to release. But the moment that becomes legal, you will have people eating/keeping tons of fish and then saying that they "had no way to release them." Who's to prove otherwise? Fishing laws would no longer be useful. People will just put a hole in illegal fish and say they tried to get it down but failed.

Thus, what makes sense on an individual basis, does not necessarily make sense when you apply it to the public or the law. This is not to say there aren't laws that are stupid and wrong. But this is not one of them, and even though as an individual it makes moral sense to eat/keep a fish you can't release, as a matter of public and legal order, what you're doing has to be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  11. Billy V

Billy V Seabass Commando

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    There is no way to assure people will follow any law, no matter how right or wrong the law seems to the individual. There are times when a law may be infringed upon and the circumstances conclude that the absence of criminal intent warranted no further action.
    Eg. just take a look at this weeks news and Hillary Clinton.
    - I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but thats the way it is.

Given the circumstances I described above, having not intentionally targeted a prohibited species and done all you could to reasonably return the fish to the bottom, I may make a decision that suits me morally.