Deep V versus Mod V = So Cal Fishing

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Pacific Jigger

Pacific Jigger Newbie

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    Formula 233
    If you don't mind throttling back, trimming down the bow to bring the entry vee fully into play in the choppy stuff and taking a little longer to get where you want to go, a mod vee hull is a little more comfy to fish at rest and you'll really like em when its time to fill up. I'm too impatient, I run a deep V Formula but the ability to run comfortably at speed under any reasonable condition comes with a price tag when its time to fill the tank.
    If time of distance is important, deep v. If cost is more important, mod V.

Black Cat likes this.
  2. Rivertrip

Rivertrip Member

Name:
    Dozer
    Boat:
    Brodozer60
    Well said...

3. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Couldn't disagree with this more. Tell me where this bay is in the open ocean because there's been very few times I've thought the conditions offshore were like the bay. I have a 2520 DVSC.

4. PacificBlue

PacificBlue Member

Name:
    JM
    Boat:
    Still Looking
    Have you fished the Northeast or Carolina or Southeast coast?
    His comment is spot on, try open water in another geographically location and you will quickly agree.

What you may think is rough water or uncomfortable out here, there will be many people who will gladly trade you from those areas mentioned above.

5. PacificBlue

PacificBlue Member

Name:
    JM
    Boat:
    Still Looking
    Too put a numerical value on deadrise, I would say a modified vee is 12 to 17 degrees, and a deep vee is 18 - 24 degrees as a frame of reference.

6. Black Cat

Black Cat Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Bertram Bahia Mar

I think I've wasted hundreds of hours watching "zap power" or something like that's videos on you tube of that inlet. Quite the variety of boats and skill level push through there on a daily basis. And yes that short interval 4-6' swell would cause quite the pucker factor.

7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I've ridden on the Mod V. I would never consider owning one unless I fished just the bay and kelp line.

Pacific Jigger likes this.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    The ocean changes with each major point you go around as you go North. I grew up fishing in the South land. It is with out a doubt Awesome! for more reasons than one.

I have been slowly migrating North...One you get around Palos Verde's if gets rougher, then Pt. Magu rougher yet. and once you get around Pt. Conception (Arguello) It's a whole new ocean, you went from So. facing to No. facing beaches...MORE WIND & More Swell!!! Im up by Avila Bch. / Morro Bay now we dont get near the fishable days in a row you guys get. We come down and fish w/Brandon H. from time to time and always Have a Laugh at what is considered "Rough" down there.

The Trade Off...Crowds!!!! & Colder Water

Everyone knows each other too!! for the most part...