Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Alright so im new to jigging, im building my jig collection i have a few yo yo irons(dont know if those are considered the same type of jigs as flat falls, slow pitch, speed jigs, etc...), A few shimano butterfly jigs, interested in the nomad Gypsys and Daiwa's SK jigs, anyhow to the point, i have tried jigging a bit on charters with some luck, my question is does it really make a difference if i tie the jig to the braid vs tying on a fluoro/mono leader? Whos done the straight braid while jigging and what was the hook up rate vs having a leader?

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find much information about the line used while jigging...

Mandaragat

Sep 5, 2012
Texas
Name
Mark
Boat
None
Have a friend jigging beside me and broke his line from a snag. Tied his braid direct to the jig and went back fishing. He got 3 hook-ups and broke his line thrice as well. So, hook-up was not a problem, landing is. Remember, tensioned braid gets cut easily with rough surface.

Reactions: Cubeye

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
That makes sense, but say that i was fishing with braid, its not like the fish is gonna be able to see the line at lets say 300 ft. Of water, would they?

SSUfish

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
You're going to get a lot of different opinions here and I'm sure there could be a bit more information on what your "jigging" is for? Rockfish, lings, yellowtail, something else?

Generally a large amount of braid is common practice. Some people tie directly to the braid, some use a rods length of mono to their lure/jig, some use a top shot.

I'm somewhere in between the last two purely out because I think that sometimes it's easier to break off a jig when you're really stuck than sit and try to play tug of war with the bottom on straight braid. I've seen people stuck for a long time because their jig is so stuck that nothing breaks. I've also seen a rod explode from that happening too, something that wouldn't have happened if there was a bit of mono.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have tested many combinations attaching braid to any lure or hook. Would strongly suggest never tying braid directly to anything. If you got an
ABS of 50% you would be lucky. Connect the braid to a leader with either the PR knot, FG knot or the Bob Sands knot then to a figure 8 ring, attach the split ring to the jig and the assist hook to the bottom of the Fig 8 ring.
See photo below. There are several ways to do this but the basic idea is that the pulling force is in a direct line from the leader to a solid ring then to the hook. Never attach the leader to the split ring.
My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
Walt

Attachments

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
You're going to get a lot of different opinions here and I'm sure there could be a bit more information on what your "jigging" is for? Rockfish, lings, yellowtail, something else?

Generally a large amount of braid is common practice. Some people tie directly to the braid, some use a rods length of mono to their lure/jig, some use a top shot.

I'm somewhere in between the last two purely out because I think that sometimes it's easier to break off a jig when you're really stuck than sit and try to play tug of war with the bottom on straight braid. I've seen people stuck for a long time because their jig is so stuck that nothing breaks. I've also seen a rod explode from that happening too, something that wouldn't have happened if there was a bit of mono.
I usually go on boats and jig for rockfish and lingcod, as stated before im kind of new to jigging, i havent tried jigging for yellowtail or tuna, i dont have that gear yet lol, but i do want to try it in the future, so in lame mans terms, jigging with a leader is better than straight braid because 1 it acts as a shock leader and 2 because if i get the jig stuck at the bottom its gonna be easier to break the leader off than to try and save the jig, that sounds like some fair answers, someday i would like to get taught jigging by some of the pros, maybe after i catch a yellowtail on a hook and live bait lol thanks for the feedback guys

Reactions: J blair

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Have tested many combinations attaching braid to any lure or hook. Would strongly suggest never tying braid directly to anything. If you got an
ABS of 50% you would be lucky. Connect the braid to a leader with either the PR knot, FG knot or the Bob Sands knot then to a figure 8 ring, attach the split ring to the jig and the assist hook to the bottom of the Fig 8 ring.
See photo below. There are several ways to do this but the basic idea is that the pulling force is in a direct line from the leader to a solid ring then to the hook. Never attach the leader to the split ring.
Walt
I think i need to get some split rings and solid rings, all my jigs have split rings on them but no solid rings, so i would just add a solid ring onto the split ring and tie the leader to that one instead of tying onto the split ring?

Reactions: J blair
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
I found metered braid to be a game changer for me and my jigging game. I jig in the northeast for: yellowfin tuna, wahoo, black sea bass, fluke (summer flounder), striped bass, cod/haddock/pollock. I find the ability to set a jig down at that depth quickly has quite frequently meant the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.

I use depth hunter and daiwa j-braid on reels that i have, i usually tie a 3ft bimini loop, and a wind-on leader 10-25ft in length. I have pre-made wind-ons that ive made and i'll bring a variety of reels/jig rods with me with different weights/colors of jigs tied on. Most of my fishing is done on head boats.

This spring I will be putting on probably a hollow-core metered braid on my penn 70vs reel....that's my swordfish reel. That...is doing to be a game changer for night swordfishing....setting depths accurately.

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I think i need to get some split rings and solid rings, all my jigs have split rings on them but no solid rings, so i would just add a solid ring onto the split ring and tie the leader to that one instead of tying onto the split ring?
Yes ,,, that is an option. But be sure to also tie the assist hook to the solid ring never the split ring. Don't know what type of jigging you are doing Slow or Speed jigging but be advised that if speed jigging a figure 8 ring is the better choice as when using the round solid ring the split ring with the jig attached will hammer up against the knot from the leader and eventually cause the knot to fail under the stress of combat. The figure 8 eliminates that possibility. Another good option is to insert a swivel with a solid ring on one end and a split ring on the other in place of the figure 8 ring. There are various other options always keeping in mind to never tie the leader or the assist hook to the split ring.

Walt

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Walt
I agree about attaching your assist hook to a solid ring and not to a split ring, but, from what I have read and seen, when attaching double assist hooks to a Slow Pitch Jig, they are all attached via a split ring.
1582118163729.png

Reactions: yessokk

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I found metered braid to be a game changer for me and my jigging game. I jig in the northeast for: yellowfin tuna, wahoo, black sea bass, fluke (summer flounder), striped bass, cod/haddock/pollock. I find the ability to set a jig down at that depth quickly has quite frequently meant the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.

I use depth hunter and daiwa j-braid on reels that i have, i usually tie a 3ft bimini loop, and a wind-on leader 10-25ft in length. I have pre-made wind-ons that ive made and i'll bring a variety of reels/jig rods with me with different weights/colors of jigs tied on. Most of my fishing is done on head boats.

This spring I will be putting on probably a hollow-core metered braid on my penn 70vs reel....that's my swordfish reel. That...is doing to be a game changer for night swordfishing....setting depths accurately.
Outstanding advice above. When fishing open water for suspended targets the metered line is a MUST. It's the only way to accurately know how deep you really are. You need to fish where the fish are in order to catch them.

Reactions: Lexa400Roy

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I agree about attaching your assist hook to a solid ring and not to a split ring, but, from what I have read and seen, when attaching double assist hooks to a Slow Pitch Jig, they are all attached via a split ring.
View attachment 1114781
That is a matter of necessity if you want to be able to remove them. Also guys are using the triple wrapped split rings to minimize any split ring opening issues.

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
It depends of your presentation. Or speed,
If you're are jigging with a long knife you could use straight braid, the fish will never see it because of the speed the jig is moving, but
If you're good at butterfly jigging, slow jigging or any other slow presentation, it is like bait fishing they will see the line.
Cheers

Last edited:

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
It depends of your presentation. Or speed,
If you're are jigging with a long knife you could use straight braid, the fish will never see it because of the speed the jig is moving, but
If you're good at butterfly jigging, slow jigging or any other slow presentation, it is like bait fishing they will see the line.
Cheers
Couple of points. First, even if you are going as fast as humanly possible, a "speed jig" is really only moving about 8mph, tops. That's not that fast, and certainly not faster than what the fish can see.

I don't think whether the fish can or can't see the line is important, but rather that there is (a) a bit of a shock absorber due to the stretch of the line, and (b) abrasion resistant.

I think the (a) is less important. The parabolic nature (or generally softer tip) of the rod is the main shock absorber. But, having some stretch in the leader probably helps soften the blow so that you don't have an immediate break off on hookup.

I think (b) is critical. Braid breaks due to abrasion, not necessarily on a straight pull. The leader assists in surviving the abrasion that will inevitably result from any respectable fish, and some not so respectable.

Reactions: J blair and Warlord

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Good opinion, however, I fished with crazy tight drags, straight braid, never, ever, broke a fish due to tension. Why?
(A) I have arms, and I can move them up and down to make up for the overrated 'shock absorber ' also
(B) have Legs to follow the fish,
and back and knees that bends
(C) the rod, the drags, your body, everything comes to play, it's not like all is fixed, immobile, welded to a point.

Or mechanical mind thinks evening is fixed with precission.
- In fishing It is not, even the boat moves the ocean, it's a dance!

Reactions: Lexa400Roy

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Well they all seem like good points, but like the above person said, i have never had braid just tear from stretching, but i have seen hooks get straightened, but if mono and fluorocarbon are so resistant to abrasion, then why fish with wire? Why not just use mono or fluoro? I understand when fishing for wahoo or toothy fish but why do some tuna guys use wire when fishing for tuna?

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Good opinion, however, I fished with crazy tight drags, straight braid, never, ever, broke a fish due to tension. Why?
(A) I have arms, and I can move them up and down to make up for the overrated 'shock absorber ' also
(B) have Legs to follow the fish,
and back and knees that bends
(C) the rod, the drags, your body, everything comes to play, it's not like all is fixed, immobile, welded to a point.

Or mechanical mind thinks evening is fixed with precission.
- In fishing It is not, even the boat moves the ocean, it's a dance!
How long or what action rating does your rod have to control the "shock" that comes along with big fish bitting the lure or jig???

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
How long or what action rating does your rod have to control the "shock" that comes along with big fish bitting the lure or jig???
When they stop the jig is not a big deal, you feel it pretty good, but it's not like you get stuck, they're in water, and they keep on swimming up, they don't have breaks to stop in a dime 😂🐟 it's a great feeling when they stop the jig. A medium heavy is perfect for that, a medium light is the action I prefer for 150 grams
let's go

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
When they stop the jig is not a big deal, you feel it pretty good, but it's not like you get stuck, they're in water, and they keep on swimming up, they don't have breaks to stop in a dime 😂🐟 it's a great feeling when they stop the jig. A medium heavy is perfect for that, a medium light is the action I prefer for 150 grams
let's go
What kind of fish are you catching on these jigs? I havent gone hunting for tuna or marlin, although i know a few people that do, i just dont have the gear for that but, like everything else, its in the works lol

Reactions: eddiefishtaco

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Basically yellowtail
I have gone fishing for yellowtail, real finicky fish lol ive caught maybe 4 yellows on jigs, but maybe im just not "working" it right, i do know that i need more experience thats why i create threads like these getting others advice or point of view, say last time i went rock fishing, i used the double dropper loop and i kept feeling like a huge fish was bitting something but everything i reeled my line in there was nothing, i have seen videos of underwater footage where the fish bites the lead, could that be what i was experiencing? I try to throw a jig that time so i can just assume that thats what was happening

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
It's called a mystery fish 😂
I had a few of those over the years
I never knew what they were.
Most yellowtail jigs must be fast or crazy moving, to engage them, Think of them like, cats
Cats go backwards and hide and then attack, and then back to position.
The yellowtail goes deep and then runs up to attack and back to position, they like chase things like cats do, even if they are not hungry,
Just to play or " reaction" attacks
Cheers

Reactions: Cubeye

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
if mono and fluorocarbon are so resistant to abrasion, then why fish with wire? Why not just use mono or fluoro?
Wire is used when your targeted species have teeth that cut - like wahoo, barracuda, sharks or king mackerel (there are more examples, these are just illustrative).

Abrasion is caused when the target species has smaller teeth that will rough up your leader, like sand paper does - larger grouper, tuna, snapper to a lesser extent, hard fighting jacks - or if those fish have a tendency to live in structure and will bring your lure and line into that structure during a fight.

I personally never use wire for two reasons. First, it affects the action on the jig. I fish for the bite first, then worry about everything else once hooked up. Second, if you do get something on with sharp teeth, it won't come off and you'll be forced to fight it to the boat or until your tackle fails. Here, I look at it in probabilities. It's much more probable using wire that you'll be stuck fighting a several hundred pound shark to the boat than it is that your lure will be saved from cut-off by a wahoo.

Losing jigs is unfortunately the cost of doing business.

Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
This may be comparing apples to oranges for you guys, but when fishing Hopkins NoEquals and similar jigs for Stripers and LM Bass, I noticed straight braid would get fouled in the hooks. A 2' or longer leader of FC reduced the number of fouled jigs by a HUGE margin. Same thing for topwater baits.
More time fouled = less time fishing.

Reactions: benwah22 and Cubeye