Deep Drop Swordfish in NorCal

tylas

Dec 25, 2016
Lodi
Name
Ty Laskowski
Boat
2601 striper dual 150 2stroke yammies 18ft gator trax
I have been researching and learning the so cal deep drop, we have so many ledges and canyons in the right depths. We know we have a ton of food for these fish, people have seen them sunning I believe we have these fish in our local waters. Let’s all get some sewn baits from bait masters squid and bonito bellies with skirts and get after it ! I’ve been itching at trying these deep drops locally . Fish the currents find the thermocline and drop down boys

Reactions: woodfish330

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
20 north river sea hawk Grady white 282 sailfish
Open class let me know I also have a boat that would work along with 3 other buddies who boats will work and they got the reels and rods to hunt some swords be nice to have a little group of guys to share info with for the hunt

tylas

Dec 25, 2016
Lodi
Name
Ty Laskowski
Boat
I’ve been looking at a Shimano beastmaster 9000 and fully rigged baits from baitmasters in Florida, I’m planning on targeting em this year. Or even some big Avet big game reels with at least 1000yds of braid . Just big $ to chase these but I think it’s worth it for us to work with each other and keep it quiet

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
I'm getting the bug .....I guess the next step is to pick up a reel. I'm wondering if we can get some kind of Norcal Swordfish group going to bump heads and keep everything on point. Any interest guys?

Reactions: nav and karlk1125

tylas

Dec 25, 2016
Lodi
Name
Ty Laskowski
Boat
I'm getting the bug .....I guess the next step is to pick up a reel. I'm wondering if we can get some kind of Norcal Swordfish group going to bump heads and keep everything on point. Any interest guys?

Ya openclass I’m in

Last edited:

Northeastfshman

Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I’ve been looking at a Shimano beastmaster 9000 and fully rigged baits from baitmasters in Florida, I’m planning on targeting em this year. Or even some big Avet big game reels with at least 1000yds of braid . Just big $ to chase these but I think it’s worth it for us to work with each other and keep it quiet

The Beastmaster will likely be fine on anything to 150#'s. I don't know that I'd trust it on a fish over that size.

You'd be better off with a 50W filled with 80# Solid and then the last 100 feet 80lb hollow to loop your wind on's on.

Then I just use a line counter ($9.99) which I've had for over 20 years now when I started swordfishing back east which works perfectly and a drill bit attachment to bring the baits up. The only pain is I get about 1.5 drops per batter on a 20V lithium battery so you need more than 1.

Also you really want 2 rods out. One on a buoy that is set at your max depth and then one fished off the rod tip you move up and down based on what you are seeing on the meter so you are covering more vertical ground.

GET THEM!

NoSlack

Jun 1, 2003
Spring Valley
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher
Guy don't go overboard on the gear until you know you have a viable fishery up your way. I'm in San Diego and caught two this fall on heavy tuna gear. I got one on a Shimano TLD50 2 speed and the other was on a Avet 50 I bummed off my Bro-in law.

Knowing how much line you have out is important on the drift as well as the fight. One black mark at 100', 2 at 200' ect. At 500' I put one big red mark, 600' is a big red and a black mark, 700' is red and 2 blacks. Follow that pattern out to 1300-1400 feet.

Reeling up. For checking baits I use cordless drill with a home made device similar to a Reel Crankie. With a fish on you're reeling by hand. It goes pretty fast as the fish is swimming up with the weight.

Landing the fish. Don't let the fish surface 100 yards behind the boat. By the time you close that gap he will purge the nitrogen out of his system and acclimate to the light and surface temperature. The only thing that is going to happen after that, you're going to take a beating.

The easy way is to start watching the marks on the line and start backing down to where you think the fish will surface. You'll need to pause and un-clip the lead at 100-150'. At that point it's all hands on deck. Someone on the wheel backing down to the spot you want to intercept the fish, guy on the rod and a gaff man on stand by.

Don't over think the bait either. Both fish bit 1 lb squid I bought at the local Asian market and rigged myself.

Find those edges, meter some bait in the 800-1100' range and start drifting.

Good luck guys

Last edited:

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
Redwood City
Name
Christian Filloux
Boat
14' Valco
This is super cool but my little Hobie Skiff is not fit for the mission but i'd like to keep in the loop if you create a group for this.. I think this is a viable fishery up here and those ledges and humps off of carmel and in the monterey area seem like the spots to start.. Deep Dropped for snappers in Florida before but not on the west coast

tylas

Dec 25, 2016
Lodi
Name
Ty Laskowski
Boat
Guy don't go overboard on the gear until you know you have a viable fishery up your way. I'm in San Diego and caught two this fall on heavy tuna gear. I got one on a Shimano TLD50 2 speed and the other was on a Avet 50 I bummed off my Bro-in law.

Knowing how much line you have out is important on the drift as well as the fight. One black mark at 100', 2 at 200' ect. At 500' I put one big red mark, 600' is a big red and a black mark, 700' is red and 2 blacks. Follow that pattern out to 1300-1400 feet.

Reeling up. For checking baits I use cordless drill with a home made device similar to a Reel Crankie. With a fish on you're reeling by hand. It goes pretty fast as the fish is swimming up with the weight.

Landing the fish. Don't let the fish surface 100 yards behind the boat. By the time you close that gap he will purge the nitrogen out of his system and acclimate to the light and surface temperature. The only thing that is going to happen after that, you're going to take a beating.

The easy way is to start watching the marks on the line and start backing down to where you think the fish will surface. You'll need to pause and un-clip the lead at 100-150'. At that point it's all hands on deck. Someone on the wheel backing down to the spot you want to intercept the fish, guy on the rod and a gaff man on stand by.

Don't over think the bait either. Both fish bit 1 lb squid I bought at the local Asian market and rigged myself.

Find those edges, meter some bait in the 800-1100' range and start drifting.

Good luck guys

I’m about to buy 2 kite rod setups for bft could I get away with using the same rods for deep dropping or no ? Because I’m looking at a 50-80w for a kite reel

NoSlack

Jun 1, 2003
Spring Valley
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher
You want a rod with a soft tip so you can see the bite with 5-10 lbs of lead and 1200' of line out. A soft tip will also absorb the head slakes and keep you from pulling the hook.

If you fish a second rod a coupe hundred feet behind the boat you can use a little stiffer rod. The second rod is fish under a buoy/flag, and the bite is detected when the flag tips over. Set the flag up so it stands up with 5lbs of lead pulling on it and falls over when the fish picks up the weight.

I just finished wrapping two rods I'll use next summer. Both are bent butt build on Calstar stand up tuna blanks. 6455xh cut down to 60' for a finish rod of 6'8". The other is a little heavier Calstar BOOMER JR blank cut down to 52" for a finish rod length of 6".

Here is a photo of how they look with 20lbs of pull
IMG_0462.JPG

Last edited:

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
I love the enthusiasm!!! We’re gonna crack the code on this fishery! Why don’t we set up a Facebook group for everyone who’s interested?

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
Has anyone in SoCal had luck with traditional sonar with marking the DSL? Or just chirp? Regardless, a high powered sonar is a must.

Spearo4Life

Concrete Cowboy
Apr 11, 2010
San Diego
Name
Derek
Boat
23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
You want a rod with a soft tip so you can see the bite with 5-10 lbs of lead and 1200' of line out. A soft tip will also absorb the head slakes and keep you from pulling the hook.

If you fish a second rod a coupe hundred feet behind the boat you can use a little stiffer rod. The second rod is fish under a buoy/flag, and the bite is detected when the flag tips over. Set the flag up so it stands up with 5lbs of lead pulling on it and falls over when the fish picks up the weight.

I just finished wrapping two rods I'll use next summer. Both are bent butt build on Calstar stand up tuna blanks. 6455xh cut down to 60' for a finish rod of 6'8". The other is a little heavier Calstar BOOMER JR blank cut down to 52" for a finish rod length of 6".

Here is a photo of how they look with 20lbs of pull
View attachment 1107855
Love your 23’ billfisher

I’m also running 2 custom boomer JR rods for my buoy rods down here. They work great as a daytime rod.

NoSlack

Jun 1, 2003
Spring Valley
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher
Has anyone in SoCal had luck with traditional sonar with marking the DSL? Or just chirp? Regardless, a high powered sonar is a must.
I'm using a Furuno 582L I put on the boat 20+ years ago. It see's the bait at 1000' no problem. Here is a photo of the DSL at 500-650' that didn't produce a bite.
DSL.JPG