Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Wow that's wild....learned something new and had a good laugh as well thanks for sharing !!

Reactions: bajabum

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
That's a nice catch Bro.

Went out on a 1.5 and some guys caught 3 at around 3:00 in the morning.
They estimated they were down about 600-700 feet.
I had some to eat with no problems, 5-6 ounces.

djennings

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2006
Huntington beach
Name
David Jennings
Boat
Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
Amazing catch! This may be the beginning of a new fishery. Incredible eating flavor wise!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
The issue as I understand it is Escolar and Oilfish are super similar both whole and as fillets. Escolar is ok in small quantities (really 4 oz is a lot of sushi), but oil fish is no bueno in any quantity.

I got some oil fish sold as escolar years ago. I ate MAYBE 2oz like I have many times before with escolar.

I can assure you it's nothing the "shits" you have experienced in the past. Nothing and I mean nothing like it.

Imagine a pack of black cat fireworks going off in your color again and again, with ZERO notice that slowly diminishes over SEVERAL days.

There are no words to describe this kind of intestinal trauma if you haven't experienced it.

Happy Holidays!

:)

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
The Problem with Escolar
Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
To be frankly and bluntly specific — and I’m sorry for this — consumption of escolar causes explosive, oily, orange diarrhea. People have reported that the discharges are often difficult to control and accidents can happen while passing gas.

I personally know someone who ate an escolar steak one night, unaware of its side effects. The next day he was riding the elevator to his office when out of nowhere his bowels unleashed a surprise attack on his pants. As he said later, “Thank God I had my gym bag with me, which had a clean pair of underwear in it.” This explains why escolar is also called the “olestra fish” and the “ex-lax fish.”

The Japanese and Italian governments have banned the importation and sale of escolar for these reasons. The governments of Canada, Sweden, and Denmark require that all escolar come with warning labels. The FDA lifted the escolar ban in 1992 because the fish is nontoxic (sure, it causes embarrassing things to happen in your pants, but it won’t hurt or kill you).
So, Should You Eat Escolar?
In spite of all this, escolar is indeed very buttery and delicious, and should be enjoyed, but never in portions larger than six ounces. Portions below six ounces will not cause gastrointestinal distress. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Should also come with a roll of toilet paper

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Escolar contains a wax ester called "gempylotoxin." This oil is similar to mineral or caster oil. Our body can't digest the material and consumed in greater quantities will definitely lead to gastrointestinal problems. In short, you will get EXPLOSIVE oily orange diarrhea. If you want simulate the effects without eating the fish, just drink a bottle of caster oil. Just make sure you have a change of underwear and don't have any plans for outdoor activities. Whatever you do, just don't fart, because its its going to end up as a shart.

It has a nickname, the "olestra fish" or the "ex-lax fish" for a good reason.

Last edited:

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
The issue as I understand it is Escolar and Oilfish are super similar both whole and as fillets. Escolar is ok in small quantities (really 4 oz is a lot of sushi), but oil fish is no bueno in any quantity.

I got some oil fish sold as escolar years ago. I ate MAYBE 2oz like I have many times before with escolar.

I can assure you it's nothing the "shits" you have experienced in the past. Nothing and I mean nothing like it.

Imagine a pack of black cat fireworks going off in your color again and again, with ZERO notice that slowly diminishes over SEVERAL days.

There are no words to describe this kind of intestinal trauma if you haven't experienced it.

Happy Holidays!

It will be documented as covid! 😉

Dudley613

May 20, 2015
Inyotuckee CA
Name
Chris
Boat
21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open

Happy Holidays!

I think the prime rib I ate last night could have been oilfish.......😒

Hat_Trick

Aug 11, 2013
san leandro
Name
Chris
Boat
Glacier Bay 2680
That is my favorite fish at sushi restaurants, singed with a torch
great catch!

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
The Problem with Escolar
Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
To be frankly and bluntly specific — and I’m sorry for this — consumption of escolar causes explosive, oily, orange diarrhea. People have reported that the discharges are often difficult to control and accidents can happen while passing gas.

I personally know someone who ate an escolar steak one night, unaware of its side effects. The next day he was riding the elevator to his office when out of nowhere his bowels unleashed a surprise attack on his pants. As he said later, “Thank God I had my gym bag with me, which had a clean pair of underwear in it.” This explains why escolar is also called the “olestra fish” and the “ex-lax fish.”

The Japanese and Italian governments have banned the importation and sale of escolar for these reasons. The governments of Canada, Sweden, and Denmark require that all escolar come with warning labels. The FDA lifted the escolar ban in 1992 because the fish is nontoxic (sure, it causes embarrassing things to happen in your pants, but it won’t hurt or kill you).
So, Should You Eat Escolar?
In spite of all this, escolar is indeed very buttery and delicious, and should be enjoyed, but never in portions larger than six ounces. Portions below six ounces will not cause gastrointestinal distress. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.

FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THROW THAT SHIT TO THE COYOTES!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Tugboat64

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Lobster bait??????

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Mmmmmmm. Yummy. Congratulations, enjoy. Such a delicious fish you want to gorge on it, just go for it, blow that toilet up