Deep drop skunk report + a couple question

andrew3289

May 20, 2015
Name
Andrew
Boat
Everglades cc
So I was out today off Newport/laguna area on my second attempt at deep dropping for swordfish. I’m still in the trial and error phase but felt like I was rigged up pretty good today. No tangles on the drop (unlike last weeks first attempt). Fished in 1300 ft of water and metered some bait around 1100ft. No bites but it was a nice day out on the water.

My questions: Has anyone heard of people having luck at it lately or am I kind of late to the game? I haven’t seen anyone on insta or on here posting any catches for a few weeks now.

Also, anyone that has used the Reel Crankie, do you know if that is compatible with an Okuma Makaira 50 wide? I do not own an electric reel and it is killer trying to crank up 1100+ ft at a time!

Last edited:

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Last one I know of was New Years day.I think the Crankies are brand specific?We have one for the Shimano.Tom

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Sorry to hear.....yet you made the best of it. Getting the "drop" down.....All the way...without tangles is half the battle. It takes practice....and a delicate touch. The other half is reeling in the 1100 feet. (lol) Electric reel is a must.

Major considerations....did you note current direction? Thermocline depth? Sometimes they vary considerably above and below that thermo. Tried slowing your drift with parachute anchor if need be. Did you "lite" your bait? Not cheap...but effective down deep. There's many things to try....and many more days....for practice. Don't give up brother. You'll get it!!

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
When deep dropping....There are times I will keep the boat in gear....nose up current, while slowly lowering the deep baits. Keeps them from tangling. Secondly....The swordie has one of the largest eyes In The fish world....and lives in the darkest part of the water column. Rigging should be secure but minimal. Don't over think it....don't over do it..... STRONG but not excessive. My bait of choice......16" - 20" whole squid.... brought in from the Florida / East Coast. Couldn't find it locally. Just a couple ideas brother...the that have worked for me in the past. Good luck....keep it up.

andrew3289

May 20, 2015
Name
Andrew
Boat
Everglades cc
When deep dropping....There are times I will keep the boat in gear....nose up current, while slowly lowering the deep baits. Keeps them from tangling. Secondly....The swordie has one of the largest eyes In The fish world....and lives in the darkest part of the water column. Rigging should be secure but minimal. Don't over think it....don't over do it..... STRONG but not excessive. My bait of choice......16" - 20" whole squid.... brought in from the Florida / East Coast. Couldn't find it locally. Just a couple ideas brother...the that have worked for me in the past. Good luck....keep it up.
I had trouble finding the squid at first but finally found some at an Asian market near my house. Loaded up while they had them because they don’t always carry em.

Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Shhhhhhh......find a good one. Garden Grove always has a few good fresh seafood mongers. As it's for "human consumption" a higher grade quality wise. Always look (clear eyes and pinkish flesh in color) use your nose....you'll know....lol.

One important note.... When ever you get the fresh.... single wrap each in saran wrap.....or. best method of all is vacume pack. One at a time...2 at most. They MUST BE STRAIGHT and natural looking.... while freezing. You dont want to jave to pry them apart later. You'll be happy you did.... when it's "drop" time. GREAT BAIT is one of the 5 factors needed for successful swordfishing with rod and reel. You already know that. They have those jumbo eyes...will simply swim past what doesn't look "right"... even pickier than BFT. Good job brother! It's their favorite food....with no bones. They swat it come back.... and swallow it whole. WoooHooo!

Last edited:

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
It has slowed way down but there are still a few fish around.

I get down current of where I want to be by a couple hundred yards, set my auto pilot towards where I want to drop. Then I motor at 4 kts or so toward the spot, put the clicker on and dump my line with the reel barely in gear while moving. This keeps tension on the rig and it doesn't tangle. Then I clip my buoy on and slowly deploy my second rig from the rod tip. It gets you fishing in just a few minutes where you have to drop the tip rod slow and it take maybe 10 min to get 1000 feet down.

Hope it helps.

Jul 7, 2014
Name
Michael Gorgita
Boat
22 Bayrunner
Swordfish are not picky eaters, I personally have found all kinds of fish in their stomachs, from anchovies to squid, market and Humboldts, mackeral, hake, even a 6 ft oarfish. Read some new zealand deep drop techniques...they use a skirt and fish bellies for flavor and kill it. You were not on the fish is all, so keep at it and post

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Your right the folded fish belly on the tandem hook rig is quite durable....goes down well on the drop. The skirt combo imitates a squid of course. Those videos are a good source of alternate thinking.....just adjust for our conditions. Hake....When you live in the deep....you eat what's there. Tilefish....even escolar. When your hungry. That's how it goes. Keep it up brother!

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Good try, keep at it, sounds like you are on the right track.

Posting a comment to see if new forum will record having read this post. Hasn't so far...

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
Are you guys fishing right off the bottom down there? We’re gonna work on the sword population up here in off San Francisco and the studies we’ve looked at show the swords being 700-1200ft deep, which is way off the bottom where they were tagged (on the seamounts)

NoSlack

Jun 1, 2003
Spring Valley
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher
Are you guys fishing right off the bottom down there? We’re gonna work on the sword population up here in off San Francisco and the studies we’ve looked at show the swords being 700-1200ft deep, which is way off the bottom where they were tagged (on the seamounts)
Go with the data collected from the tags. The fish i got this year were way off the bottom in the range you're talking about. I set my bait around the DSL and that could be 500-1000' off the bottom.

Dan Salazar

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
So I was out today off Newport/laguna area on my second attempt at deep dropping for swordfish. I’m still in the trial and error phase but felt like I was rigged up pretty good today. No tangles on the drop (unlike last weeks first attempt). Fished in 1300 ft of water and metered some bait around 1100ft. No bites but it was a nice day out on the water.

My questions: Has anyone heard of people having luck at it lately or am I kind of late to the game? I haven’t seen anyone on insta or on here posting any catches for a few weeks now.

Also, anyone that has used the Reel Crankie, do you know if that is compatible with an Okuma Makaira 50 wide? I do not own an electric reel and it is killer trying to crank up 1100+ ft at a time!

Attachments

Dan Salazar

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
Friend of mine caught this about six miles off Newport in about 1100 feet of water. Fish was caught mid December
Bait was a rigged large squid
It took about an hour plus to get to the fish to the boat. One of the tricks was putting the boat into slow forward when dropping the bait to help eliminate from spinning and tangling the bait rig.