buckeye

Almost A Member
Jan 7, 2008
Florida
Name
Bob
Boat
none
I have a question that I have been wondering about for a while. It seems to me that deckhand style grips (I think that's what they are called) made with twine or cord, usually including a turks head knot, are much more popular on the West Coast then they are here on the East Coast. Does anyone have an explanation? Does it have anything to do with the type of fishing or is it just preference and what people are used seeing?

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
I would guess it is a personal Preferance thing but Many of out long bamboo gaffs had turks heads on them to keep them from slipping our of ones hands when in a WFO bite. Deck hand grips can also be considered with Cork tape and turks heads.

Upvote 0

slevuong

Sep 2, 2014
Name
Sammy
Boat
none
I like the deckhand style handles is because I can put my reel where I want to put it. I can find the sweet spot where I feel the rod is balanced to me and my way of casting. Also I like it because it is thinner profile than have the traditional foam grips. Again it's mostly personal preference. Your miles may vary.

Reactions: badgerbacker
Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Deckie grips are good for groms starting out with jig casting. As a juvenile, I started with my reels high to get more leverage with my reel hand closer to the middle of the stick. As you gain strenth and skill, you gradually move the reel lower on the stick to get more speed and greater load into your cast, giving you more distance.

Another nice thing is you can adjust how close the reel is to your body in anticipation of what you fish and how you will fight it. IE rockfishing vs batrays from the beach.

Reactions: badgerbacker
    Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
    Aug 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
    We did deckie grips because they were fast, + fishermen could move the reels to the feel or type of fishing. We only had one rod as young guys, move the reel down for bait, up a little for Iron... Wanted the rods to look like "equipment'' like the Tuna men... Jack poles and other gear all wrapped with cord. And, it was (cord) EASY to replace, and not slippery in fish slime. Cork tape came later, and was also easy to replace, every season. Since the deckhand rods got heavy use, handing off and crew only or commercial days (we had a few Jack poles too). Fishing customers and tourists used reel seats, foam or cork grips. We used car hose clamps to hold our reels (60's). I'm glad most people used reel seats and cork or now foam, because when they tore it up, I got a whole rod rewrap job, just to replace the grips.:-) Psst, don't tell them!!:cool: This is an old timer, yackin':hali_blablalba:!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    Lots of info here, but I still wonder why we don't see them on the East Coast. Any thoughts?

Imo, the reason is simple: tradition.

It's amazing to see how things are done in different locales even if the fish are the same. Personally, I like a reel seat so I have one on my jig stick.

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
    Sep 3, 2014
    South Bay
    Name
    Lam
    Boat
    SeaVee 370Z (One day)
    I have a question that I have been wondering about for a while. It seems to me that deckhand style grips (I think that's what they are called) made with twine or cord, usually including a turks head knot, are much more popular on the West Coast then they are here on the East Coast. Does anyone have an explanation? Does it have anything to do with the type of fishing or is it just preference and what people are used seeing?

You can use different kind of deckhand styles and I personally think it is all preference. You can have the fancy seine cord (4th rod) or the regular cord wrap (3rd rod). Note that not all deckhand style grips will end with a turk head knot. Some, like the seeker rods, would have heat shrink wrap at the top. Phenix Abyss uses the heat shrink wrap at the top too.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
    Aug 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
    Has anyone ever done a cord grip with a reel seat?

Yes, for party boat trolling rods. Again, easy to replace, if torn up, due to every day use for Albacore. o_O:eek: O.K., A few years ago, we had albacore here is SO CAL.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    In terms of keeping the reel in one place on the rod while fighting powerful fish, deckhand-style grips blow! Give me a solid reel seat.
    I used to be deckhand only guy, but after crushing the blank on a rod and also having another where the reel would wiggle I'm over it. Next plan for me is a jigstick with a reel seat.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I used to be deckhand only guy, but after crushing the blank on a rod and also having another where the reel would wiggle I'm over it. Next plan for me is a jigstick with a reel seat.
    Use a reel plate on your deckhand grip, makes for very comfortable casting.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Well after writing that I've build 0 jigsticks with a reel seal lol

At the time I was pissed as I had just crushed a blank.

Upvote 0