Deckhand salary

mik911

Apr 6, 2008
SoBay, SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
9'6" longboard
I know deckhands deserve more than they make. A little buddy of mine asked how much they make, and I was stumped. Not sure if he's contemplating that as a career, but I told him I'd check into it.
So what does a deckie make on average, including salary + tips? (daily)
a) Cattle boat
b) Long range
c) 6 pack

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
They make decent money, but their daily expenses probably make it appear as if they don't.

They smoke 4 packs of cigs a day
They drink a 12 pack of red bull a day

Last edited:

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
If my memory serves me the deck hands at Pacific Landing all walked of in the spring of 1963. They were making (again if my memory serves me) $7.00 per day, I think they wanted $9.00. I'll bet the deck hands are now making $13.00, plus tips. It's a labor of love, sure glad I quit loving it.

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
I talked to a former deckhand recently. He did it for quite a few years and said deckhands on party boats make a lot more than people think they do. In his case, he was able to sock away 100K in savings after a few years. That's alot better than what I thought they'd make. More power to 'em tho. Cuz I know most of us wouldn't do it.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
The guys working better boats make more than you think.Ad up tips and fillet money and it can be pretty good.Unfortunately its not a year round job.

Reactions: fatty23

C-4 Fishing

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
More than you think when it's busy and less than you think when it's slow

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Example:
20 people
2.5day trip - $500
Everyone tips 20% at minimum supposedly based on multiple threads but realistically I would say 15%
Tips - $75 × 20 = $1500 / 2-3 deckhands, chef and 2 captains
Fish cleaning(varies greatly) = $200-1000
Base rate -$11/hr x 14hr/day = $385 for 2.5day
Then don't forget the jackpots that everyone donates. - $400-600

Add it up and they should be pulling in $800-1000 during said trip

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Example:
20 people
2.5day trip - $500
Everyone tips 20% at minimum supposedly based on multiple threads but realistically I would say 15%

LOL.That ought to bring them out.

Reactions: get some and marlyn

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
If my memory serves me the deck hands at Pacific Landing all walked of in the spring of 1963. They were making (again if my memory serves me) $7.00 per day, I think they wanted $9.00. I'll bet the deck hands are now making $13.00, plus tips. It's a labor of love, sure glad I quit loving it.
Norms...by '65, McEwen was paying minimum wage, for the length of time the boat was running. Pinheads did the final scrub at the dock, as we weren't getting paid for that ;)

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
mission viejo
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
From the couple I've talked to they get paid a flat fee for the trip. Like $40 for a half day, $60 for 3/4 and $100 for a full day, something like that. They're expected show up before the trip leaves to get the boat ready, gassed, baited etc. then also stay after the trip ends to clean up and get ready again. For the amount of work they do and is expected of them they basically need to rake in tips or they aren't getting paid.

A 6pack boat varies a lot since they all run boats of different size and elegence. I know 4pack parkers typically run $1400. Most are gonna operate within 60miles, so up to ~60-70 gallons of gas at most. I think most are gonna have like 3-5 scoops of bait as well. They also have to pay usually like a landing/docking berth fee and for running commercially out of a harbor, it's like 20% off the top. Even after that, if they run by themselves they're doing okay. They're probably getting in about 50/hr which is about the going rate for a knowledgeable and experienced fishing guide. Tips would still be much appreciated I'm sure. But unless they're knocking it out of the park booking wise they'd likely need to turn to a second job.

Last edited:

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I made $20-30 wage per trip, working half day in the 90's. If it was a good day we'd make about that much in side money per trip too. $100 a day was ok, $120 was good, and $150 a day was great. Those were 12+ hr days too. Minimum wage? Ha! We got paid by the trip and it added up to way less than minimum wage. How the boat owner got away with that I still don't know!

I worked overnights too and my wage was $65 in those days. Side was about the same. I quickly learned that half-day was a better gig. Pretty close to the same money, and I got to sleep in my own bed.

Brutal work for little pay looking back on it, but at the time I made more than my buddies and felt like I was rolling!

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
I'm a ex deckhand and sport boat operator. Stop thinking about "daily" pay. You guys need to consider yearly income. There are no vacation or sick days paid. No healthcare options for you or family members. You have to work weekends and holidays. Girl friends and wife's are not too happy about that. In most cases they eventually find a better "option". Spending quality time with your kid? Consider the number of payless days because the weather is up or the charter is cancelled at the last minute. Consider that the "off" season is extremely long due to fish closures or not enough passengers to get off the dock. That means no pay. You are required to work on the boat in the boat yard every year. The boat yard work is hard with no side money. Second job to supplement income? Tell your second boss exactly what particular day you can be inserted into the schedule. Good luck with that. Fish cleaning? Do you seriously believe the fish bite every trip and crew members make decent side money on every single trip? News flash, not every passenger tips. Don't get me wrong, there are many things about being a deckhand that are very enjoyable. Making some serious coin is not one of them !

Last edited:

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
Example:
20 people
2.5day trip - $500

This is exactly the economics that got this nation in it's current situation. I saw this sort of thing when NAFTA was being debated,

http://www.usdebtclock.org

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
assumptions and more assumptions.. someone give the guy a honest answer...LOL...
pm him... no one else needs to know...LOL

Latest posts