Deckhand Rods and Seating

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by aleclee721, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. aleclee721

aleclee721 Newbie

Name:
    alec lee
    Boat:
    None
    Hey there! Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages to seating your reel either higher/lower on the rod? Or is it all personal preference?

2. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Leverage. I like an elbow length and a fistful.

3. funnyguy

funnyguy Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19 foot Trophy CC
    Hello,

Personal preference. Most rods with a deck hand grip are 8' plus and you'll be casting something with it so you'll see longer butt sections. I grew up surf casting so I like a longer butt section then most guys my size, probably 2 inches longer. Some surf casters and distance casters in Europe do things ass backwards. They put the reel a few inches above the fighting butt and control the spool while casting with the lower hand. IMG_3912.PNG

Chris

4. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Nearly every rod I own is a deckhand rod. From a 900xl for #15-20 to 800xh for #60. My preference has always been to bias the reel another 3-4" up the rod over the common setup. For me at 6' 4" it just feels much more comfortable and the reel falls naturally into my hand with this placement. I do recommend a cork puppy on everything #30 and up and I have never had issues with reel movement when fighting a fish. Beyond that, I feel the level of sensitivity is better when using deckhand style rods. Using all spectra to short flouro top shots you can feel everything and I enjoy this level of sensory input. Sometimes all you get is a couple excited tailbeats of a bait before its inhaled if your game is moving towards the boat. Since I'm no pro, I need all the help I can get.
    In your case it's just a way to have the reel just where you want it. I experimented with placement before I landed on my own personal spot. There are advantages for the fight and for casting. The lowest spot you put the reel while fully loading rod in a cast should in theory go farther, but I don't feel like I'm fighting for an extra 5 yards so I don't care. Fighting a fish just comes down to comfort, balance to your own body frame, and fighting style. Experiment a bit, I'm sure you will find your spot.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I think that is pretty much the standard preference...at least it's mine too. Palming the reel, the butt cap is just past my elbow with arm bent at 90deg. At 6'3" that is a good 5-6" further up the most rods with reel seats.

All rods 8' and up are deckhand style for me.