Almost A Member
May 22, 2012
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
T-Bear
Boat Name
Hahaha
Hi Guys,
I have 2 custom calstar deckhand wrapped rods BT670 and GF700H, appears they are just shrinktube over the top of the blank, not sure if they have any cork tape under the shrink tube as the blanks are very thin and im having a hard time getting reels to seat very well.

on both rods the Durans reel clamps and Tiburon clamps still allow a bit of play or are entirely too large to bite down at all.

Since I already paid the price for the aftermarket clamps i was trying to avoid buying cork puppies. Is there an easy way to build up the reel seat area outside of tuna cord so I can beef up the blank in the area so everything holds tight?

Was thinking maybe hockey tape or a few layers of vinyl tape? Any recommendations are helpful. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat Name
sunk it
Couple more layers of shrink over the area for your reel. I wouldn't use a bunch of tape, it would be too soft and the reel might turn/spin from the torque when your cranking. I think I'd use a layer of friction tape between each layer of shrink too and make sure you have the right size shrink tube too so it's really tight.

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat Name
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Maybe even a layer of cord where your reel goes to bulk it up. Then x wrap over that if you like. Duran clamp shouldn’t move around on the cord, standard clamp will. Me? I’d be taking that off and putting something underneath the whole length, but that’s me.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Those blanks should work with cork and x wrap.

Small diameter blanks I have been using cork, cord then x wrap.

Upvote 0

e_rack

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2006
    Earth
    Name
    e_rack
    Boat Name
    none
    I had the same issue with Tiburon clamps. I got shorter screws. The thread is 10-24 and binder or pan head work. This was for the size xl and l clamps. Not sure if thread is the same for all the sizes. I emailed Tiburon asking about sizes and threads and they responded immediately.

Upvote 0

Durans Fishing Products

Almost A Member
    Mar 10, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Edward Duran
    Boat Name
    Hobie Kayak
    Hi Guys,
    I have 2 custom calstar deckhand wrapped rods BT670 and GF700H, appears they are just shrinktube over the top of the blank, not sure if they have any cork tape under the shrink tube as the blanks are very thin and im having a hard time getting reels to seat very well.

on both rods the Durans reel clamps and Tiburon clamps still allow a bit of play or are entirely too large to bite down at all.

Since I already paid the price for the aftermarket clamps i was trying to avoid buying cork puppies. Is there an easy way to build up the reel seat area outside of tuna cord so I can beef up the blank in the area so everything holds tight?

Was thinking maybe hockey tape or a few layers of vinyl tape? Any recommendations are helpful. Thanks guys!
    I’ll do the best I can to help you out since you have one of my clamps. What size clamp do you have for the setup? And also what reel are you trying to clamp on the rods?

Reactions: jonrx7
    Upvote 0

Latest posts