Deckhand cord wrap questions

agarcia

May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
Aside from Jon at cal tackle house we’re a barren wasteland. Outside of him I’ve only gotten blanks from the ISE show in Sac or at the Fed Hall Show In Long Beach. I try to stop into island tackle when I’m in LA too.

Try shooting Jon a DM on Instagram, even if you couldn’t order stuff from him he can walk you through guide selection and blank options. First time I ordered from him I just brought my blanks to him and we put all the components together on the spot. Super easy.

ssrmr2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2006
Cypress
Name
STEVE
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
I wrap 2 layers of tarred seine core. starting at the butt end up and then double over on the way down.

Reactions: Hellosugaree

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
So all the stuff came in today.

I did a practice wrap to get the feel. 2 passes on the bare blank. Will definitely rewrap this a few times before I do the final build. Still haven't decided if I'm going to do double cord or cork tape and cord. I'm thinking a single wrap of cord over cork might be easier to keep neat.

In any case thanks thanks for the tips.

20200507_202211.jpg

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
I have a question about finishing:

I started my wrap on the butt end on top of cork tape. I did my pull through on the top end.

For the top end I'm going to put some epoxy so the wrap doesn't work itself out. Not a big deal since I'm covering it with a turks head.

For the bottom (starting) end i want to leave the wrap clean. I'm planning on coating the finished wrap with water based spar urethane. I thought about applying a little but of epoxy where the wrap tucks under for extra security, but my options are limited since I'm not covering the area and I dont want it to stand out.

Has anyone had problems with wraps coming undone when they're not fixed with epoxy where they tuck under? I'm thinking the spar urethane will basically glue it in place. It seems pretty secure even before the urethane coat, but it will get a lot more abuse in the boat.

I want to leave the butt end just like this:
20200521_180238.jpg

Reactions: T.Bui

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Urethane will hold it together just fine.Another option is the cord going all the way to the end of the blank and putting the butt cap over the cord.

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Urethane will hold it together just fine.Another option is the cord going all the way to the end of the blank and putting the butt cap over the cord.
Cool. Thanks. I like the clean look with the cord flush to the butt cap. I'll coat it in urethane and call it a day.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
I’m just a hobby builder, not a pro. Tady blank is a jig stick at 9’, over 1” at the buttAtwood 1/16 , sand blank and a quick spray of 3m adhesive. In all honesty, not sure how much it helps but I think it keeps it from sliding while I’m winding it on, just helps keep it packed tight.

View attachment 1134571
I've used this stuff, looks beautiful, BUT, it fades, slimes up and holds the stain AND smell. Had to tear some of of a guys rod, and replace with Tuna cord. Now if I use the Atwood or what ever, as requested, I put some color preserver, coats, then either light varnish or super light coating like lite flex or CPXtra, to seal it. learned my lesson, from doing tool wraps with colored cord, for deck hands. Ya gotta color preserve, and coat them, or they fade and stain badly. That's just what I do.

Reactions: Mtnfshr