Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
hi all,

i am about to dive in to my first body work projects on my 2002 22' Triton center console and had some questions for those saltier (and more covered in fiberglass dust).

question #1
i am replacing all of the old deck plates in the boat and wanted to go with armstrong for both bilge-access deck plates in the splashwell. right now the open hole is roughly 8.75" (which is what armstrong requires for their DP-8 deck plate). however, these holes are not cut very well and i think there would be issues with a proper seal. the next step up is the armstrong DP-10 plate which requires a 10.75" deck hole. would i be affecting splashwell strength by opening the hole up another 2"? i can't imagine i would, but don't want to start cutting until i hear some feedback. thoughts?

question #2
the boat was a freshwater boat and had downriggers when i bought it. i'm in san diego, fish offshore mainly, and as such i've never used them once and they were causing rust stains so i started to remove them, in the process the existing bolts disintegration. right now my plan is to drill them out then repair by drilling the holes a little bigger, chamfering the top of the holes, putting some west six10 down, then gelcoat over the top. my question is this: can i remove the side of the gunwale where the rod holders are? it looks like it is only held on by screws and sealed with silicone (which needs redone anyways). i'd love to strengthen the repair from the bottom if i could. plus, i plan to rewire the boat this winter to so having access to the sides would be a major plus. thoughts?

any help, guidance, suggestions, or feedback would be most appreciated!

keb2Wr1.jpg

b7AG2H6.jpg

Upvote 0

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
No problem to enlarge the holes make sure to seal the cut out with 3 coats of epoxy resin
The insert you are referring to will come out , use a putty knife and wood or plastic wedges to pry it out if it is stuck

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Might want to check to make sure the hulls are even fiberglass? I heard they were more of a high strength plastic? If my memory serves me well :smoking33:... LOL It Doesn't!!!

Just checked: Injection molded plastic not sure best way to patch? changing hatches no biggie...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
The hull is not fiberglass? This is a Triton 2200cc. I know they make a lot of bay boats too, but this is a deep V offshore boat. I’d be surprised if it is plastic.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I beg your pardon, Its Triumph Boats that are roto molded out of Roplene...I googled it. Triton Boats are Extremely well built.

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
just pulled the kicker off for some more projects, going to try to see if i can fab up a fixed kicker. the adjustable, while it keeps the engine out of the water while on plane, has to be replaced every 3 years or so.

on that note, i am torn about even having this kicker anymore. it has gotten us back a few times which was nice, but with sea tow and good engine care i am debating just leaving it off.

if i could figure out a way to have a fixed mount and have it still be out of the wake when up and deep enough to push boat i would keep it for sure. i just don't know if the geometry will work out like that.

J02PbIy.jpg

Upvote 0

mmonti

Sep 15, 2012
Long Beach
Name
mmonti
Boat
Edgewater
I just removed my starboard side rod box to run a new 12v line from the battery to the console because I didn't want to run it straight across the fuel tank. I would be prepared to replace some screws, i had a few that were on the way to rotting out. I just replaced them all. I filled all the previous holes with west and some silica, then caulked everything up when i was done can't tell I was ever there. Mine was fairly easy yours should be too, watch out for any wiring for lights, etc

those bolts should be able to come out easily from the underside. Muriatic acid will get rid of that rust in a hurry, just make sure you rinse, then rinse again, then wax. FSR works too but is slow and needs multiple applications.

I pulled a non skid mold pattern from a clean section of my bow, then used that to patch about a 2 inch section on my gunwale where my Bimini top mount popped out and tore a chunk of gelcoat off, if I don't look at it I cant tell it was ever patched🤣 was my first time trying to use that method and it came out OK but im picky and gonna redo it this winter

theres some good videos on youtube for all this stuff you are trying to do, check out Boatworks today on youtube, the guy is awesome

Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
I just removed my starboard side rod box to run a new 12v line from the battery to the console because I didn't want to run it straight across the fuel tank. I would be prepared to replace some screws, i had a few that were on the way to rotting out. I just replaced them all. I filled all the previous holes with west and some silica, then caulked everything up when i was done can't tell I was ever there. Mine was fairly easy yours should be too, watch out for any wiring for lights, etc

those bolts should be able to come out easily from the underside. Muriatic acid will get rid of that rust in a hurry, just make sure you rinse, then rinse again, then wax. FSR works too but is slow and needs multiple applications.

I pulled a non skid mold pattern from a clean section of my bow, then used that to patch about a 2 inch section on my gunwale where my Bimini top mount popped out and tore a chunk of gelcoat off, if I don't look at it I cant tell it was ever patched🤣 was my first time trying to use that method and it came out OK but im picky and gonna redo it this winter

theres some good videos on youtube for all this stuff you are trying to do, check out Boatworks today on youtube, the guy is awesome

nice man thanks for the write up! and i love watching boatworks today, awesome channel

did you spray PVA to make the mold of your non-skid?

Upvote 0

mmonti

Sep 15, 2012
Long Beach
Name
mmonti
Boat
Edgewater
nice man thanks for the write up! and i love watching boatworks today, awesome channel

did you spray PVA to make the mold of your non-skid?

I was paranoid that the gelcoat would stick to the bow so I used about 5 coats of meguiars mirror glaze mold release paste wax that I had, then sprayed pva over that. I used masking tape and laid out a box inside the waxed area, made a little dam with tape all around just incase it wanted to run then poured my gelcoat into that, when it started getting tacky I dropped a small piece of fiberglass on top and pushed it into the gelcoat then put a thin coat of epoxy over the top of all of it, next morning it literally popped right off, i took it to the bandsaw trimmed up the edges and had a perfect mold pattern about 6x6, i probably didnt need the paste wax but it was my first time tryin this. The mold i made ended up breaking in half after I was done with it, the epoxy made it to stiff. I should of just sprayed pva on it and let it cure. I always forget to take “process” pics but plenty of stuff here and on youtube

was an easy process overall, just alot of steps. Ive always done all my gelcoat repairs which I think is pretty easy, just practice on the color matching before you add the hardner, i mix my gelcoat in little 3 oz plastic cups i got from smart and final for little scratches and chips this has always been plenty. my gelcoat can always goes bad before I can use even half.

Boatworks today has the best video on color matching, i cant even see my repairs after following what he shows. Its time consuming tho. Just follow the steps, sand with finer and finer grits you’ll never see the repairs

Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
Might want to check to make sure the hulls are even fiberglass? I heard they were more of a high strength plastic? If my memory serves me well :smoking33:... LOL It Doesn't!!!

Just checked: Injection molded plastic not sure best way to patch? changing hatches no biggie...
I was paranoid that the gelcoat would stick to the bow so I used about 5 coats of meguiars mirror glaze mold release paste wax that I had, then sprayed pva over that. I used masking tape and laid out a box inside the waxed area, made a little dam with tape all around just incase it wanted to run then poured my gelcoat into that, when it started getting tacky I dropped a small piece of fiberglass on top and pushed it into the gelcoat then put a thin coat of epoxy over the top of all of it, next morning it literally popped right off, i took it to the bandsaw trimmed up the edges and had a perfect mold pattern about 6x6, i probably didnt need the paste wax but it was my first time tryin this. The mold i made ended up breaking in half after I was done with it, the epoxy made it to stiff. I should of just sprayed pva on it and let it cure. I always forget to take “process” pics but plenty of stuff here and on youtube

was an easy process overall, just alot of steps. Ive always done all my gelcoat repairs which I think is pretty easy, just practice on the color matching before you add the hardner, i mix my gelcoat in little 3 oz plastic cups i got from smart and final for little scratches and chips this has always been plenty. my gelcoat can always goes bad before I can use even half.

Boatworks today has the best video on color matching, i cant even see my repairs after following what he shows. Its time consuming tho. Just follow the steps, sand with finer and finer grits you’ll never see the repairs

awesome man I really appreciate these tips. This is my first go-round with all of this stuff.

have you ever had any issues with gelcoat adhering to epoxy? I’m ordering supplies and like epoxy since it’s stronger, but maybe sticking with poly is better with gelcoat?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Your boat isn't made with epoxy.Use vinylester.Its cheaper and gel coat will stick to it.Vinylester is plenty strong for repairs if done properly.

Reactions: ninj
Upvote 0

mmonti

Sep 15, 2012
Long Beach
Name
mmonti
Boat
Edgewater
Ive only done small chip/ding repairs, all my gelcoat sticks to it just fine. Ive been using west systems cuz it was easy to get and easy to mix. Everyone you ask has a preference, I've heard people say gelcoat wont stick, others say its fine. Going to try the total boat line next, I use most of my epoxy for other things, lures, woodworking, etc having it around for small boat repairs is a plus. I bought my last can of gelcoat from revchem, a pint for like 15 bucks, west marine cans are to big and too expensive for little repairs. You have fiberlay down in SD, not sure if they sell pints. Gelcoat wont last forever after you open it, i prefer smaller sizes because of that. Im no expert I just prefer to do my own work, if I had a gaping hole in the side I would probably take it to the experts. It aint’ rocket surgery tho. Plus every buck I save doing it myself means, more fuel, bait, or gear!

Upvote 0

alex88

May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
Like everyone else said, gel will not bond chemically to epoxy, it will make a light physical bond but the strength is very low. MarineTex is white and will fill the holes as good as six10 and will match the gelcoat much better or like others have said, vinyl or poly resin and the gel will bond no problem.

go with the larger Armstrong plates. There will be no loss of strength and they are amazing plates. I have 2 round and 2 rectangle hatches I replaced my factory ones with and they really are the highest quality and heaviest built hatches I’ve used.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Im am looking to replace my 9" circle access hatches and tried ordering from Armstrong. Got to shopping cart and was shocked by the delivery charge from Florida. Come on Armstrong $38 was the cheapest to shipto CA, thats just pure robbery. Any other recommendations for solid hatches?

Upvote 0

alex88

May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
Im am looking to replace my 9" circle access hatches and tried ordering from Armstrong. Got to shopping cart and was shocked by the delivery charge from Florida. Come on Armstrong $38 was the cheapest to shipto CA, thats just pure robbery. Any other recommendations for solid hatches?

here you go, this is who I ordered my Armstrong hatches from.

Reactions: jbl_91762
Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Triton
thanks all for the good tips. i ordered the deck plates from fisheries supply and also ordered a bunch of repair materials from US composites. went with vinyl-ester resin on the suggestions above. for filler i'm just going to use cabosil and will be using 1.5oz chopped strand and 1708 mat for the ding repairs on the boat and for filling the old downrigger holes. the winter projects are already stacking up quick!!!

Reactions: jbl_91762
Upvote 0