Deck drains?

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
whittier
Name
Greg
Boat
16' starcraft
Hi guys, I have a 19' Maycraft Center console. I feel like the boat is probably sitting a little lower in the water than it normally was designed too because of T top, 2 batteries, 40 gallon bait tank, and bigger 4 stroke motor, etc. When I'm sitting still fishing there is sometimes a little water that comes over the splash well or if i use the wash down the suppers wont drain it unless i start moving. Its not the end of the world but its kind of annoying to always be standing in a puddle of water at the transom. I thought about doing some floor drains that go down into the bilge and just let the stuff get pumped out. Is this a bad idea? If so any other suggestions?

Thanks !

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Terrible idea. Start by shifting weight forward. Also may have to change the type of scuppers you have or maybe the flap on it is worn out

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
    whittier
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    16' starcraft
    Sorry should have mentioned the current scupper is the ping pong ball style not sure of the brand but they appear to be functioning as they are supposed too. I clean leaves and junk out of them all the time

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Where are the two batteries ? In the stern i assume ?

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    That is a bad idea. You will be relying on a pump which can (and typically) fail to get the water out. By the time you notice you have a problem you will already be sitting to low in the water to do anything about it while you take on more water over the stern.

Upvote 0

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
    whittier
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    16' starcraft
    That is a bad idea. You will be relying on a pump which can (and typically) fail to get the water out. By the time you notice you have a problem you will already be sitting to low in the water to do anything about it while you take on more water over the stern.
    Ya thats kind of what I was worried about

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    yes I agree that is a bad idea to drain into the bilge.

how much weight is your boat rated for and how much weight do you actually have? What was the weight of the original 2 stroke that came on it and what is the actual weight of the 4 stroke that is on it? When sitting at the dock what is the distance from the water line to where the motor bolts on?
    those two things are pretty fucking important when choosing a motor, motor weight and the distance from water line to bolts for motor.

Where is your bait tank located? That is about your only option to reduce some weight.... relocate or get a smaller one.
    I have two in my boat because of the weight issue, anything ahead of the cc is only good for chum because it will take a pounding... you can fill the air space to cut down on the bait getting beat up. If you are standing in water you need to do something, or at least I sure would. good luck

Upvote 0