Mr. DRE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Does anyone use Japanese Deba filet knives for the larger model tuna? If so any feedback, pros, cons. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JoshInSD

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Use what works for you. I have a Deba but rarely use it now. Its fairly thick so you can use it to chop if needed. The blade is single edged so you need to know which side you plan to cut and may need plan ahead. You need to switch over to standard fillet knife to cut off the skin. You definitely need to invest in a decent whetstone and learn how to sharpen the blade properly. I haven't caught enough large tuna to be proficient at using this blade.

I prefer to use my Dalstrong Shogun Series Fillet Knife now. Its super sharp and the Damascus steel is gorgeous. Its a damn good deal for the price of $100.

1600258237125.png

nmcf

Aug 28, 2009
Rowland Hts. CA
Name
Jorge
Boat
none
Most Debas are made for right handed,I found this from Amazon that is double bevel which is good for both hands,thick blade makes cutting through some of the bones easy. I enjoy using it

88F977B7-445E-4AF1-BB8E-1CA9FB960D33.png

485B6723-E7DA-4F4B-8239-6948815B195A.jpeg

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Thanks for the feedback Jorge and Alex. I have a full set of forschner knives up to 12 inch cimenter but still struggle with the larger bft.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
A Deba can be a great knife for certain tasks, but its a poor knife for fish fileting. It is designed for chopping and pushing down, not for fileting. Add in the standard single bevel and usual short length and its really not the right tool for the job; its best use is more like a French Cook's knife.

I use a 12" Forschner scmitar. Forschner's are also high quality blades, easier to keep clean, the 12" length is better for large fish, and the scmitar tip is more designed for fileting and slicing. Also, you can get it in a Fibrox handle, which is much better for fileting because it is a much more solid grip when wet. JMO.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
A Deba can be a great knife for certain tasks, but its a poor knife for fish fileting. It is designed for chopping and pushing down, not for fileting. Add in the standard single bevel and usual short length and its really not the right tool for the job; its best use is more like a French Cook's knife.

I use a 12" Forschner scmitar. Forschner's are also high quality blades, easier to keep clean, the 12" length is better for large fish, and the scmitar tip is more designed for fileting and slicing. Also, you can get it in a Fibrox handle, which is much better for fileting because it is a much more solid grip when wet. JMO.
12" Forschner scmitar = 12 Forschner Cimeter?

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
They are the same cimeter and scimitar. I believe they are also called breaing knives. Basically a large curved knife with a sharp tip and some flex.

Reactions: monster1 and Brad I

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
I love mine but it's a specialty use knife.

If I'm filleting trout an 8" Rapala is the preferred knife.

I like the Deba for being able to recover more meat than I might with a flexible fillet knife on larger fish but to be honest I haven't mastered the knack for filleting away from the skin with it.

As said it is more of a breaking knife and the larger a fish you are cutting the more a larger knife you have less experience with will shine.

Case in point.

I bought a blank of this type of knife (though much smaller) handled and sharpened it.....a pretty amazing addition to the set of tools and that is really what it is about I think.....the set of tools.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Deba is best used when you have cut off the head and the tail to make a good cut. If you are just planning to straight filet it with the head and tail on. It is best just to use a double bevel filet knife.

I have more knife at the warehouse but this is what I at home when i do break down a tuna or anything type of fish

2020-09-18 (2).jpg
2020-09-18 (3).jpg
2020-09-18 (1).jpg
2020-09-18.jpg

2020-09-18 (4).jpg
2020-09-18 (5).jpg

Randy the video you have provided is a special type of fish cutting knife from Taiwan. I have a couple of those. Still trying to get use to the curve on them.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
Deba is best used when you have cut off the head and the tail to make a good cut. If you are just planning to straight filet it with the head and tail on. It is best just to use a double bevel filet knife.

I have more knife at the warehouse but this is what I at home when i do break down a tuna or anything type of fish

View attachment 1201377View attachment 1201378View attachment 1201379View attachment 1201380
View attachment 1201381View attachment 1201395

Randy the video you have provided is a special type of fish cutting knife from Taiwan. I have a couple of those. Still trying to get use to the curve on them.

Yes I know and it's the curve of the edge that is part of it's appeal.

They cut pushing and pulling both with a much greater mass (weight) than typical of a knife.

Pretty interesting to use,
it's like a keenly sharp cleaver with an economy of effort that couldn't be appreciated unless you were trying to make a living with one.

It strikes me it's the kind of thing arrived at through the purity of evolution.

I'm looking forward to taking one to deer next time I should be so lucky.

I guess I mainly wanted to use the video to bracket the Deba with an even larger knife to make the point of the advantage in using different tools for larger fish

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)

View attachment 1201377View attachment 1201378View attachment 1201379View attachment 1201380
View attachment 1201381View attachment 1201395

My Japanese brother. Well done.