Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
With little to no quality moving water around, I've branched out. I enjoyed a bassin' session for the first time since 1986 and had a good old time- magnified by doing it on the topwater fly. Guess I'll have to invest in a heavier set up.

Upvote 0

Rehabfishin

Almost A Member
Mar 23, 2011
alta loma, ca, u.s.a.
Name
BC
Boat Name
Urmom
That looks like a lot of fun. I have only fished trout and have had some great top water bites, but gave never fly fished topwater bass that has got to be a blast. What patterns did they hit? What weight rod? Is that at Lake Arrowhead? Nice report.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
That looks like a lot of fun. I have only fished trout and have had some great top water bites, but gave never fly fished topwater bass that has got to be a blast. What patterns did they hit? What weight rod? Is that at Lake Arrowhead? Nice report.

Yeah, I'm a true blue trout weenie as well. This was down at Canyon Lakes. We were strictly fishing topwater flies, similar to this, using floating line to 15# straight mono. I was throwing a 7wt. A whole mess of fun throwing to the banks and structure, then doing a hard strip to get the fly to pop. When the bass struck, it was a nice boil.

Always fun to expand the boundaries. If someone told me a year ago I would start to enjoy Stillwater, I would have laughed. But, with the conditions, if I want to keep fishing......

Upvote 0