Fincutter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
OK, I admit . . . this is kind of a dumb question (sorry). But one thing I really hate is when I get a small cut on my fingers/hands. They don't seem to heal during a trip and are more than a little annoying. I've been thinking about bringing medical super glue for this purpose. Does this work? If so, what brand is best?

Reactions: Shooter

surfkast

Jul 20, 2006
Encinitas
Name
Miles
Boat
Freedom Boat Club, Boston Whaler 170 sold
use fishing finger tape. I've been getting a lot of cuts with these wide open dorado bites trying to release the little guys. Broke out the finger tape.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
No matter what you do keep it as clean as possible and soak in very hot soapy water every night. Clean and dry completely before you hit it with dermabond or any other sealer. And sometimes the only way it will heal is to completely wrap it with finger tape for several days to protect it.

Last edited:

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
I keep a tiny bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the top of my tackle box. When time permits I wash my hands well - 20 seconds and them put a drop or two in the cut. It bubbles and that’s good. After that a band aid, neosporin and perhaps flex wrap.
Wahoo time my bottle If H2O2 was quite the hit.

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
As noted above, Neosporin (or generic triple-antibiotic) applied to the cleaned cut, covered by a high-quality bandage & finger tape. Change out during the day if necessary. Can be very effective.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I use regular superglue. Cleaning it out first is a good idea. For deep cuts that won't stop bleeding without continuous pressure, I often put on a tight band aid, then drench that in superglue. It becomes a mini cast. Once the bleeding has stopped, I cut off most of the band aid so that the surrounding skin can breathe. After a few days, it just falls off.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishRock

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I keep a tiny bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the top of my tackle box. When time permits I wash my hands well - 20 seconds and them put a drop or two in the cut. It bubbles and that’s good. After that a band aid, neosporin and perhaps flex wrap.
Wahoo time my bottle If H2O2 was quite the hit.

Mark you may want to read up on using hydrogen peroxide on cuts...pros and cons and you may change your mind......I do agree it looks cool bubbling.....but it is killing good stuff and bad stuff.

Last edited:

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
On the preventing cuts side of things:

I wear gloves whenever i'm fishing any lure, as I got a lot of my cuts and burns from the casting and retrieving of line. They don't help with a hook getting pulling into your finger with the rock of the boat when you're trying to pin a bait, but they didn't make a big difference for me.

I just use bicycle gloves, with an open mesh top and "leather" padded fingers, and haven't had a cut in the past 60 or 70 days on the water.

for what its worth

Reactions: Montaukmaniac

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I just have Fishy patch me up after a day's fishing. Seriously soap and water, hand sanitizer basic first aid kit is all I've ever needed. Crew has a lot of meds on hand.

Reactions: Fishybuzz

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
On the preventing cuts side of things:

I wear gloves whenever i'm fishing any lure, as I got a lot of my cuts and burns from the casting and retrieving of line. They don't help with a hook getting pulling into your finger with the rock of the boat when you're trying to pin a bait, but they didn't make a big difference for me.

I just use bicycle gloves, with an open mesh top and "leather" padded fingers, and haven't had a cut in the past 60 or 70 days on the water.

for what its worth
Met new friend on long-range trip one year. He gifted me a pair of these, inexpensive, durable, quick drying, tear resistant, yet light weight gloves. (definitely reduces those pesky cuts and scrapes)

Try it ,you may like it

Maxiflex 34-874 Ultimate Gloves, Large

PIP 34-874/M Maxi Flex Ultimate 34874 Foam Nitrile Palm Coated Gloves, Gray, Medium (Pack of 12)

Tight lines and screaming reels to everyone.

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Baby Butt cream. A&D works great to close up cut fingers. Hey it will reverse a baby's diaper rash a$$ in minutes and it will heal your cuts just as fast.
Screenshot_20200915-151152_Amazon Shopping.jpg

chuck norris

just turn the handle
Jun 13, 2008
Long Beach Ca
Name
Chuck Norris
Boat
USS Kitty Hawk
I had a gnarly cut on my thumb from a splice ripping across my thumb. So I cleaned it and used liquid bandage. Did this several days in a row.on the 5th night of a 8 day I woke to pain and throbbing in my thumb. Went to the sink and found it swollen and inflamed. Gave a squeeze and the rest you can figure out. Not a good feeling.
Don't let those minor cuts get away from you...

Reactions: Tim Turis

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
OK, I admit . . . this is kind of a dumb question (sorry). But one thing I really hate is when I get a small cut on my fingers/hands. They don't seem to heal during a trip and are more than a little annoying. I've been thinking about bringing medical super glue for this purpose. Does this work? If so, what brand is best?
It's part of the game! I'm pretty sure you're hands in the bait tank help, I normally don't start using tape until at least day 5 or so! It's part of doing business on a long range trip! Plus you're girlfriend, wife or you're fishing buddies will know you've been fishing, when they see deep cuts around the first knuckle on several fingers! It's all part of paying life long dues to long range fishing! On my right hand, next finger to my pinkie finger, I have a groove from spectra! Every trip it's the first cut I get! In my opinion, it's just part of doing business!!!

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
It's the cost of ding business when you go long range fishing. I clean my hands well and use sanitizer then treat as needed with neosporin, band aids and tape. I always get them, they're not something you want to mess around with

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
No matter what you do keep it as clean as possible and soak in very hot soapy water every night. Clean and dry completely before you hit it with dermabond or any other sealer. And sometimes the only way it will heal is to completely wrap it with finger tape for several days to protect it.
Wrong. Do not cover with anything let it open, not even a bandage. Clean with alcohol. Put Vaseline yes Vaseline. Make sure you don’t touch water, if you did dry it clean with alcohol again and apply Vaseline. It will heal in 3 to 5 days for small cut with little or no scare.