Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Seeing a lot of talk about this method, I wanted to see if others approve or disapprove of it. Does this method work? And how would you fish it?

Also what do you fish it with? A normal flyer rig with big j hookand a treble?

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I will be trying it out on my upcoming trip. Why wouldn't you use it? Same as flylining. Just bring your own flyers and have them stored on the boat.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I would just rig a dead flyer exactly how you would rig it for the kite, then just let it drift away from the boat as is. We probably went 50/50 for bites on this method versus the dead flyer on the kite.

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
I would just rig a dead flyer exactly how you would rig it for the kite, then just let it drift away from the boat as is. We probably went 50/50 for bites on this method versus the dead flyer on the kite.
Doesn’t really work very well, as you drift away it doesn’t drag the water nicely hooked in the back. Works fine as long as you’re in freespool though

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I tried this technique on my last trip and I couldn't keep my flyer upright, it kept turning over onto its back..... I'm guessing I didn't use enough foam....

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
it was hooked through the eyes with the eye of the hook over the back....i'm guessing if i hooked it through the mouth/nose it might have worked better....

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
heres my quick rig..........I lengthened the mono between the j-hook and the treble so i can run the j-hook from under the chin through the top of the mouth

124562711_736437156956273_2346832909429184096_n.jpg

124689961_749988875930385_3025035170520262014_n.jpg

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Is this method called.....
life jacket rig or backpack rig??
Personally I think death jacket rig has a nicer ring to it.

Last edited:

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
and i need to add a longer piece of foam to cover the entire back.....

any other suggestions?????
Your crimps and rigging look good but four comments:

1. You want the wings at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 degrees like you have it.
2. The wings on the flyer are jacked, try to limit the damage you do while handling and keep them as natural looking as possible. The fish will see the flyer from below so put yourself in the fish's perspective and ask yourself what you think would be most realistic/attractive.
3. You don't need much more foam to get them to float, what you have there should be fine, maybe just a tad more
4. You can paint your shishkabob sticks black.

I think the example above is more attractive to fish for these reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: butcherboy

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
Your crimps and rigging look good but three comments:

1. You want the wings at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 degrees like you have it.
2. The wings on the flyer are jacked, try to limit the damage you do while handling and keep them as natural looking as possible. The fish will see the flyer from below so put yourself in the fish's perspective and ask yourself what you think would be most realistic/attractive.
3. You don't need much more foam to get them to float, what you have there should be fine, maybe just a tad more
4. You can paint your shishkabob sticks black.

I think the example above is more attractive to fish for these reasons.
Thanks for the suggestions.....

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
heres my quick rig..........I lengthened the mono between the j-hook and the treble so i can run the j-hook from under the chin through the top of the mouth
The reason it's flipping over is the lack of foam and you hooks are high.
add more foam and lay the front hook down.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Thats exactly what i'm going to do next time.......

The treble is in the right spot though right???

Yeah it looks good. There is no set correct way with flyers. You put 5 guys on a boat and you will end up with 5 different rigs, all have caught and lost fish.

My fist few times I was not happy. Take the whole foam tube and just play with it until you get it right and bit.

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
Would several clear "bubble" floats work if strung in a line from head to tail? Anyone try?

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
My other question is how do you get it away from the boat without a balloon????? Dou you put it in on the slide or just wait for it to drift away from the boat????

Reactions: konared