PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Took my son out for a local trip today out of Long Beach. Slept in and got a late start, maybe 09:00, nobody in line at Nachos. Sweet.
Got a full scoop of squid ($75 o_O). Knew we would not use it all but wanted some for the freezer.

We messed around Huntington flats for several small calicos and sandies. Made an attempt at a bird/dolphin school hoping for yellows but no joy.

Came across this baby whale. About 25' long. Looked like a Great White victim. (At least it wasn't caught up in a commercial fishing net or anything man-made). Believe this is a Gray? Reported it the the Coast Guard and they were very interested, they had me text photos to them and report the coordinates.

Picked up a couple mylar balloons on the way in and then a baby seabass and a few more checkers near the breakwall.

Water was clean / 70 near Izor's, 65 and crappy green near the wall.

IMG_8097.jpg
IMG_8101.jpg
IMG_8103.jpg

:gay:

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
Thanks for the report and getting those balloons. I picked up a few myself. There were everywhere.

Reactions: Willdoggy

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
We heard the call about that whale on the radio. Pretty crazy. We were too far to come take a gander tho. Conditions were about the same down by the domes and mateo pt. Got a couple mylar fish as well

Tuna Vic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Thanks for the report,bummer on the whale,been hearing a lot of that lately,wonder what’s causing their deaths?

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
I think you may want to calibrate your temp gage, it was 62.5 at Izors
Yeah, I wondered about that. It was jumping all over from low 60s to 70.
The 70 reading was more near-shore, by the inner rigs.

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Not sure what’s the deal with Mylar balloons but I picked up 3. Ban those stupid things. They seem to last forever.

Time of year. Graduations and grad parties. People release them on purpose and by accident.

OP...thanks for the report. Unfortunately, there have been a record number of dead whales this years along the Ca. coast, so I am sure the CG has notified the scientists who are studying the issue. Young Gray up norths on the beach last week.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Maybe a Blue Whale ?

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Catching balloons is a cool thing to do! Thanks for spreading the word and seeing how your efforts make a big difference.
#themylarroundup #balloonsblow

Reactions: PacificPredator

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras