I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
how do you guys like to preserve your BfT

I was on a Shogun 8 dayer and I noticed the way they preserve their fish is they would literally take out the whole gill set. Only question is they would get it out intact, do you just rip it out or is there some Special way to do it. Is it better to gut a BfT too?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Spike/ Ikejime, bleed, gill/gut and ice it down. You can pack ice inside the gut cavity when its gutted. You want it gutted especially if you gaffed it through stomach.

Best way for me to gill and gut is to use a pair of Wiss shears. You can cut the gills out easily without worrying about a knife slipping.

1600159289473.png

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    On a private boat cut a gill and cut near tail at flesh. Put in a bucket head down in water to drain and change water until the water is clear. Then put on slush ice.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Really depends on the size of the fish. Kill quickly, bleed, and chill fast. Big fish (over 50 lbs.) hold heat and are hard to cool. For them gill and gut and that usually takes care of the bleeding. smaller fish can just be gilled to bleed. In all cases you want to get them into slush ice or RSW hold ASAP.

What you don't want to do is bring a fish on deck and let it sit there warming up full of blood and guts. If not cooled quickly the stomach acid will eat a hole in the stomach and start tainting the meat.

The videos "all-in" (above) and streetnfish (below) posted are good examples of gill and gut. Notice the guts are only held in by the gill end and the small attachment at the ass end. Once cut everything comes out quickly. Rinse and ice.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    RS bleed, gill/gut the fish, get them in RSW quickly. Fish come back “sushi quality” even after 7-10 days in RSW. I home can a lot of my tuna, and blow people away with how good it is compared to store bought. I have ruined a lot of people for store bought.

Upvote 0