MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
And to think of all the guys fishing off the kelp line there and taking it home for dinner. Glad I never fished it lmao, but I almost did!
Don't you think that if there was any measurable DDT in the water, or even in fish, we would be hearing about it? We certainly hear about the heavy metals. After having been subjected to 40 years of ocean currents, I bet those DDT drums have rusted open and have been thoroughly washed by now.

Reactions: plj46

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
Fortunately, half life of DDT in an aquatic environment is only 1-2 months.

Or 150 years, depending on who’s science you want to believe...

What is the environmental fate and behavior of DDT?
• DDT is highly persistent in the environment. The soil half-life for DDT is from 2 to 15 years (16). See box on Half-life. The half-life of DDT in an aquatic environment is about 150 years (17).

17. Water-related environmental fate of 129 priority pollutants. Callahan, M. A.; Slimak, M. W.; Gabel, N. W., Volume1. Washington, DC: United States Environmental Protection Agency, 1979. In: The Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB) [CD-ROM]:U.S. National Library of Medicine; National Institutes of Health and Human Services: Bethesda, MD, 1998.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
  • Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    People worry about this, but they will eat halibut out of harbors and bays.

Reactions: plj46

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Attention.... if this worries you..... please STOP FISHING IMMEDIATELY!!

SERIOUSLY...Brothers you don't want to know HALF of the environmental crap put into that ocean here.... off the state of CALIFORNIA.

Its mind boggling.... overwhelming. Between business.... both legal and illegal... corruption and payola.... that ocean is a toxic time bomb.

DDT.... may just be the all the public can handle right now. 40 years from now....what will they say WE DUMPED into the ocean here? Just the fact we have so many military bases on our coast.... makes me suspect of what we'll NEVER hear about.... dumped off our coast. Government entities never ask for "permission".

Just saying.... it still looks the same. I'm not a "karen".... but a realist. I fish every chance I get. Does it bother me....sure. Can I change the past... no. Can I acknowledge we need to be more careful about the future.... sure. Will I still eat that BFT....you bet! Be mindful. Be safe brothers.

Last edited:

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Attention.... if this worries you..... please STOP FISHING IMMEDIATELY!!

SERIOUSLY...Brothers you don't want to know HALF of the environmental crap put into that ocean here.... off the state of CALIFORNIA.

Its mind boggling.... overwhelming. Between business.... both legal and illegal... corruption and payola.... that ocean is a toxic time bomb.

DDT.... may just be the all the public can handle right now. 40 years from now....what will they say WE DUMPED into the ocean here? Just the fact we have so many military bases on our coast.... makes me suspect of what we'll NEVER hear about.... dumped off our coast. Government entities never ask for "permission".

Just saying.... it still looks the same. I'm not a "karen".... but a realist. I fish every chance I get. Does it bother me....sure. Can I change the past... no. Can I acknowledge we need to be more careful about the future.... sure. Will I still eat that BFT....you bet! Be mindful. Be safe brothers.
    I recently sat down to watch Seaspiracy on Netflix and didn’t get halfway through without turning it off and wanting to sell my boat and quit fishing forever it really fucked me up. I’ve known about the How jacked up Long Beach and the DDT thing for years But at my age now hopefully having grandkids my eyes are opened more these days. We still have a very healthy fishery, I’ve been catching and eating fish locally here for at least 40 years and my dick still works perfectly🤙

Reactions: woodfish330

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Stay safe. Stay home and stay out of the water......... good citizens.
    If you do, heres your sew-on badge.....
    View attachment 1257051
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
    1618764706679.png

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    What's already there is there,or was.Nothing we can do at this point except not do it again.This sounds like more scare tactic crap to me.I'd like to see water samples taken from the areas where these drums are.Prove it's still an issue or shut up.

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Thread "Shocking story of DDT dumping in San Pedro Channel"

I was informed of a report about DDT dumping in our ocean water long ago which is still haunting us. LA Times has a jolting publication about Montrose Chemical company that dumped tons of DDT into the San Pedro Channel along with discarding DDT through the sewer pipe off the Palos Verdes shelf.

We live on this planet, we survive from the resources of this planet. Let's be better stewards. Link to the story is attached. God Bless.
    DDT Barrel.JPG

www.latimes.com