Val1717

Wasting away at work
Sep 26, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Val
Boat
31' Silverton "Popeye"
We decided to try something new and have been gearing up for some daytime swordfishing in the canyon between Huntington and Catalina. Anyone have any tips?

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
Aug 2, 2007
Covina, Ca
Name
Ed Efishnsea
Boat
21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
Newport Submarine Canyon walls have some. Work your FF to locate the Deep Scattering Layer, then you may locate the swords.
JD just reported a 150 - 175# Sword caught at Newport Canyon yesterday. (I would go with you but just had back surgery 2 weeks ago) Go get one!!

Last edited:

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
Aug 2, 2007
Covina, Ca
Name
Ed Efishnsea
Boat
21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
Great! Let us all know how you do. Keep in mind few single trips end up successful. It's all about the ratios of time on the water. Time-wise you will be able to do more trips than trying CI, SC or even Catalina. Swordfish stocks are plentiful the researchers say...

Val1717

Wasting away at work
Sep 26, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Val
Boat
31' Silverton "Popeye"
Well we soaked a squid at 1400' for a couple of hours Saturday. We got a call that bluefin were surfacing just 2 miles south of where we were so we made the run and chased the tuna the rest of the day for nada. It sure is exciting to see those big fish come out of the water though. We will try the swords again in a couple of weeks

I hear swordfish are migratory. I need to study up on that as well. No point in dropping for them if they aren't around

vipertom1970

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
what size reel do yo use to drop that deep ? just the thought of reeling up 1,400 feet already giving me shoulder pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: CartridgeCalls

Chrishb7

Dec 4, 2010
Stanton, Ca
Name
Chris
Boat
2320 Robalo
Keep me posted. Trying to gather information so I don’t have to buy twice. Are you leaning towards a certain rod? What pound braid did you go with? Thanks for responding
Chris

Val1717

Wasting away at work
Sep 26, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Val
Boat
31' Silverton "Popeye"
A friend owns a local tackle shop and has been working with Seeker. They are going to send a couple of their deep drop rods for me to look at. Don't get a rod with one of those movable roller tips like the Dendoh. They don't allow the wax string loops to go through. The hole is too small.

We used 80lb braid. We are just starting out so the information I give may differ from others and we may change our setup upon trial and error (sounds like a legal statement)

Reactions: Matthew WA

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Work your FF to locate the Deep Scattering Layer, then you may locate the swords.
Good advice right there....
International 80w 2 speed. It doesn't bother my shoulder one bit. I have my brother do it!
Google Reel Crankie....Hooker Electric makes a reel handle attachment that works with a drill too.
The new 20v class cordless drills will straight up do business compared to the cordless models of a few years past. Make sure your batteries are at least 5ah or bigger.
Buy a 20v DeWalt drill and get some 60v 9ah batteries. They'll fit the drill and the battery life is insane!

Val1717

Wasting away at work
Sep 26, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Val
Boat
31' Silverton "Popeye"
Good advice right there....

Google Reel Crankie....Hooker Electric makes a reel handle attachment that works with a drill too.
The new 20v class cordless drills will straight up do business compared to the cordless models of a few years past. Make sure your batteries are at least 5ah or bigger.
Buy a 20v DeWalt drill and get some 60v 9ah batteries. They'll fit the drill and the battery life is insane!
I have been looking at them

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
A friend owns a local tackle shop and has been working with Seeker. They are going to send a couple of their deep drop rods for me to look at. Don't get a rod with one of those movable roller tips like the Dendoh. They don't allow the wax string loops to go through. The hole is too small.

We've been using uncut 7' Black Hole Giant blanks, Winthrop roller tip and Fuji SIC guides, on aluminum Aftco Stor a Butts.
The only change I'll make when wrapping up some more is to change to the Winthrop Adjusta Butt.
Tip is plenty light enough to show the bite, and the combination of backbone and flex from the nano blank keeps from pulling hooks. Really can't say enough about the blank, perfect for our use.
Make for darn sure your drags are scale tested, set at 25# for the hookset, backing off to 17-18# during the fight. The 25# is necessary to drive the hook home past the resistance of the weight and water drag on the line fishing that deep. Most don't have their strike drag set high enough. Swordfish aren't tuna, DO NOT be tempted to push the drag up during the end game to finish them! Most swords that are lost are lost due to pulled hooks during the last hundred feet. They're famous for digging in at 80' to 150' down and holding, sometimes for hours. Patience.... Fighting swords is a marathon, sometimes lasting for hours.:-)

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Is anyone night trolling for Swords?

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
People are deep dropping night and day but I haven't herd a peep about night trolling for swords.

Give us some details.

DavyJones.