I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Hello All,

I have a Davis Bahia (25’) with the I/O. I’ve been thinking more and more about converting this to an outboard(s). I’m trying to gain all of the info I can before making the decision to convert it.

Are there any fellow Davis owners on this forum with outboard(s) on their boat?
I can’t decide if I want to go with a single (300 or 350) or twins. I’d much prefer the single due to initial and maintenance costs but not sure how well the single would push the boat. I know there are a few Bahia’s out there with single and twins but I can’t seem to get in contact with any owners. I’d love to hear your input and potentially pay for a trip to ride on your boat to see how I’d like it with outboards.

Thanks in advance and any leads are appreciated!

Last edited:

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Contact Harold if you haven’t already tried. He probably knows everybody has completed this mod.

Reactions: oceanski

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
You should see if Harold has the contact info for this guy. It's a clean boat I've seen around SB...he went twins.

upload_2019-10-22_23-2-27.png

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
Everyone seems to be going twin 250’s. Last time I talked to Harold he suggested a single 300 G2 for a 22’, doubt he would suggest the same motor for a 25’er.

E4EB6E76-F594-47ED-9D83-02A73C837304.jpeg F63D8E32-D5F3-4181-AEAA-3E2BA51FEBC5.jpeg

Last edited:

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Davis Rock Harbor Short Cabin "Full Box"
I had a 320 hp gas engine in my Bahia and it was more than enough. Top speed close to 40. I see no reason why a single 300wouldnt work. Harold is big on the Evinrudes. He puts twin 200’s on Rock Harbors which weigh much more. Are you half cabin or full? Half and I’d say single 300 all day

oceanski

Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Thanks for the responses! My gas motor is only 280hp and my top speed is about 37mph. I wasn’t sure if the duoprop would push it better. That’s why I was considering maybe a single 350 Zuke with duoprop but as you’ll notice from the pics below I’ve seen a few with single 300 Yamahas. Just not sure how well they push the boats or if it’s tough to maneuver around docks.

The last picture is my boat. It’s a half cab so much lighter than the Rock Harbor.

B4E38CA0-00F7-4592-89B5-3B0FE8D1564E.png E30C9991-F70E-43E2-A68A-B9CF357370C3.png A689BDE8-00F3-468D-BD7F-C8C5245F2162.png DA58FFC2-80DD-49F3-82A4-E11264C56B0B.jpeg

Last edited:

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
One thing to consider is there's a big difference in a 300hp I/O and a 300hp OB..it's all about torque and prop size with these hulls.

Your standard 300hp I/O small block Chevy is going to produce more torque throughout the rpm band and spin a bigger prop than the 300hp OB setup. That's why you need to increase on the HP of the OB's when you do a conversion on these style of boats. They're not too efficient, they push alotta water...they love torque and bigger props.

For example, the D6 in my 29 Radon is only 350hp, but it's probably 700lb/ft of torque. I don't think a single 350hp OB (any brand) would push it too well.

Last edited:

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Hello All,

I have a Davis Bahia (25’) with the I/O. I’ve been thinking more and more about converting this to an outboard(s). I’m trying to gain all of the info I can before making the decision to convert it.

I can’t decide if I want to go with a single (300 or 350) or twins. I’d much prefer the single due to initial and maintenance costs but not sure how well the single would push the boat. I know there are a few Bahia’s out there with single and twins but I can’t seem to get in contact with any owners. I’d love to hear your input and potentially pay for a trip to ride on your boat to see how I’d like it with outboards.

I walk by three 25 foot Rock Harbors to my boat in the SB harbor. The diesel I/O does around 8GPH at 22kts, which is pretty nice. Gas, not so great. Two of the three owners have told me they'd consider outboards if they had to repower, and I agree there's huge advantages. Perhaps the most underrated is predictable maintenance with a new outboard. Used I/O set ups always seem to have some issue with some part you've vaguely heard of. And that can take a month or two and $1,000 to fix. So it kinda blows the enjoyment ROI on the spreadsheet when you factor in a few of those.

New 4-strokes are pretty amazing (Evinrudes look cool but mixing 2-stroke oil is barbaric in 2019.) I'd be tempted to go with one new bigger engine: Big Yamaha or Verado, or even the Seven Marine or maybe even a 300HP diesel Cox. What would "make" my decision, however, would be access to reliable maintenance, which in-turn should make your engine reliable for a good 6-8 years. Also want to make sure the fuel at the dock allows your new engine to get max HP (I think Yamaha has this issue with 89 grade).

The 527 from Seven Marine looks pretty sexy. Especially with the duel prop set up they offer. Don't know shops that work on them locally, though.

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
call harold.
the think bahia pic you posted with the twin yamahas is trompas. i think i saw he recently changed the 200's to 300's. no idea why or what performance.
the single yamaha I think is the friends of rollo boat. i pm'd the prior owner and he didn't recall speeds but what he estimated was worse speed and fuel economy than the gas i/o. I'm guessing you'll need 350HP+ from an OB. Let me know what you find out. I'm curious too

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
The down side is you will probably spend an additional $25k to make the switch from a single i/o to a bracket and twin outboards. The new outdrives are pretty solid, the fuel economy on the OBs is worse, as much as 2x what a diesel does, and you still have the same maintenance only doubled. Yes they are appealing, but when I pencil it out, they make no sense. I was convinced I was going the OB route, but it is cost prohibitive.

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
The down side is you will probably spend an additional $25k to make the switch from a single i/o to a bracket and twin outboards. The new outdrives are pretty solid, the fuel economy on the OBs is worse, as much as 2x what a diesel does, and you still have the same maintenance only doubled. Yes they are appealing, but when I pencil it out, they make no sense. I was convinced I was going the OB route, but it is cost prohibitive.
I feel you. I just bought a Bahia and was convinced I would go the OB route in the long run. I've always had OB boats and have heard all the horror stories on OD's etc. However, the cost really doesn't make sense since repairing/rebuilding the 350 and OD if when something goes wrong seems relatively affordable. I know getting rid of the motor box is huge and getting rid of the constant gremlins some people have with i/o's but cost doesn't seem to realistic. You can do a full repower (engine and od) every 5 years and still be ahead of the OB conversion for over a decade. Will see how it goes...

Kawika Tumilowicz

No_Expectations_Fishing
Apr 24, 2017
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Kawika
Boat
Yellowfin 24'
Hello All,

Maybe you could get one of the new suzuki duoprops, they're awesome but there isnt very much feedback on performance yet....

cleon

Oct 8, 2012
Santa Maria, CA.
Name
Chris
Boat
25' DAVIS BAHIA
I agree with Joshua on 350 inboard I too have a upgraded 350/300hp with 400 hrs original owner replaced motor and outdrive as a complete package from Harold at Davis boats and I'm going to run it till it fails and replace motor and outdrive as a unit. I also thought about outboards and cannot see that it is cost effectint to make a change I'm getting about 1.3 to 1.5

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Maybe you could get one of the new suzuki duoprops, they're awesome but there isnt very much feedback on performance yet....
Lots of feedback on Thehulltruth. Not good either

Reactions: Canyon

a7ewizard

Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
If you like your Davis and plan to hold on to it for a good number of years, then I say do it.

Read about my Pro-Line conversion:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/pro-line-251-i-o-to-suzuki-outboard-conversion.700201/
I'm at 510 hours in just over 2 years and have zero regrets!

I read through this thread and offer these comments:
+ Price out a new VP 5.3 engine and outdrive package with new steering, engine display and electronic controls. It is mind boggling! Much more than a Suzuki 300 package. A Yamaha 300 is more. Need to compare new to new and not rebuilds to new.
+ Likely to experience a higher optimal cruise speed and higher top end.
+ Maintenance is so much easier. Lower unit drops by removing 7 nuts/bolts. No shift cable. No tilt rams. No hellascious bilge access. No mans and risers periodic replacement. No leaking raw water pump to wet the bilge and rust the oil pan. No maintenance to the heat exchanger. Less problematic fuel pumps......
+ Opens up your cockpit. Fishing room. Cooler and killbag room. Larger bait tank.
+ Sheds 300 pounds.

I sold my VP package as a running take out. This covered the bracket and most of my auto pilot and new electronics.

Reactions: Canyon and oceanski

oceanski

Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
If you like your Davis and plan to hold on to it for a good number of years, then I say do it.

Read about my Pro-Line conversion:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/pro-line-251-i-o-to-suzuki-outboard-conversion.700201/
I'm at 510 hours in just over 2 years and have zero regrets!

I read through this thread and offer these comments:
+ Price out a new VP 5.3 engine and outdrive package with new steering, engine display and electronic controls. It is mind boggling! Much more than a Suzuki 300 package. A Yamaha 300 is more. Need to compare new to new and not rebuilds to new.
+ Likely to experience a higher optimal cruise speed and higher top end.
+ Maintenance is so much easier. Lower unit drops by removing 7 nuts/bolts. No shift cable. No tilt rams. No hellascious bilge access. No mans and risers periodic replacement. No leaking raw water pump to wet the bilge and rust the oil pan. No maintenance to the heat exchanger. Less problematic fuel pumps......
+ Opens up your cockpit. Fishing room. Cooler and killbag room. Larger bait tank.
+ Sheds 300 pounds.

I sold my VP package as a running take out. This covered the bracket and most of my auto pilot and new electronics.
Very informative post and awesome conversion! I’ve also realized that the new I/O packages are quite pricy. I think I’d really like the deck space and reliability/ ease of maintenance on a newer four stroke.

I’m sold on doing the conversion eventually. Just trying to weigh the single vs. twins...

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Nobody mixes oil in 2 strokes. This isn’t 1972. It’s injected from a oil tank onboard under the cowling.

oceanski

Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Does anyone know what the difference in fuel economy is comparing twins to a single on these 25’ Davis boats?

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Harold does...