Offshore Davenport and the fingers bft

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Not a report, but a question fir those catching or reporting the bft thats being caught out of Santa Cruz. . I'm from bakersfield and since it kinda slowed down in morro Bay I wouldn't mind shooting over next couple day gd window. Bring my boat and downriggers and gear. My question is this the place they call the fingers out of davenport where reports are from. Is this the area id be best trying out if the wk end after this looks gd. Or if anyone has the numbers of fish caught recently that would help. On here or pm. If not ill just burn some fuel trying. I don't mind but rather have some help.

20211105_163859.jpg

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

CaptChelsea

Aug 9, 2021
Santa Cruz
Name
Chelsea Watson
Boat
Akia
We went out on Wednesday this week and found lots of fish marks at the weather buoy. But it was knee fishing conditions and so we went inland south of Carmel Bay. One guy on the Stanford boat caught a fish but mostly the water was cold. We may still have fish on the outside but clearly the warm SST is being pushed south and out. Interesting is that we had sightings of BFT during Salmon season. Meaning that we may have BFT that move in as soon as the water warms back up. I for one will be on the hunt as soon as things warm back up.

CaptChelsea

Aug 9, 2021
Santa Cruz
Name
Chelsea Watson
Boat
Akia
Wind is up and the water might get blown cold. Seas to 6 to 7 feet is ugly.

On a historical note. When I was chartering out of SC harbor many years ago. I noticed that the older sport fishing boats from the sixties all had out rigger mounts.

Now that tells you something about what they were fishing for back then. With the BFT stocks back to 20% of historical levels and rising. We should see BFT every year. Last year we had report as soon as May. Nobody believed it. I fished for them in August. There were signs but nothing jumped on. Back then people used to start tuna fishing on the fourth of July. Personally we should start as soon as the water gets to 56 or better, or when salmon dries up.

And maybe it will just never stop.

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
Wind is up and the water might get blown cold. Seas to 6 to 7 feet is ugly.

On a historical note. When I was chartering out of SC harbor many years ago. I noticed that the older sport fishing boats from the sixties all had out rigger mounts.

Now that tells you something about what they were fishing for back then. With the BFT stocks back to 20% of historical levels and rising. We should see BFT every year. Last year we had report as soon as May. Nobody believed it. I fished for them in August. There were signs but nothing jumped on. Back then people used to start tuna fishing on the fourth of July. Personally we should start as soon as the water gets to 56 or better, or when salmon dries up.

And maybe it will just never stop.
Never is a long time.

Upvote 0

CaptChelsea

Aug 9, 2021
Santa Cruz
Name
Chelsea Watson
Boat
Akia
Looking at the fishing stories out of Southern California all the BFT are on the small side. They have had runs of larger fish. The small fish do not have the ability to be in colder water as much as the larger fish. That would make sense as to why we have just larger fish up here. It would be nice for someone to drop a temperature gauge down on the downriver and see what the water temp is at 100 or 150 feet. I am sure it is way colder then the SST.

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat
15ft Western Aluminum
Looking at the fishing stories out of Southern California all the BFT are on the small side. They have had runs of larger fish. The small fish do not have the ability to be in colder water as much as the larger fish. That would make sense as to why we have just larger fish up here. It would be nice for someone to drop a temperature gauge down on the downriver and see what the water temp is at 100 or 150 feet. I am sure it is way colder then the SST.
Tons of 25-50lb class bluefin up here out of morro bay and water is cold so not sure about that assumption.

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Tons of 25-50lb class bluefin up here out of morro bay and water is cold so not sure about that assumption.
Caught both mine at Morro Bay in 58 and 59 water.. Saw one guy just 3 miles out of harbor in 56 caught one and hooked up.. it was on my last trip and fish caught. I'm planning another trip soon. As I can to go spend couple more days trying few new techniques. You can look at Bayside marine reports and see they getting cows and smaller in monterey still. I hope they stay year round rt now. I'll def keep trying as long as fish being caught.

Reactions: ZMF
Upvote 0

jrmy

Jul 4, 2012
Sonora, CA
Name
Jeremy
Boat
NA
I’m going Saturday. I’ll run my fish hawk probe down to 200’ and see what it is every 50’.

Reactions: John Stidman
J
jrmy
Big Sur water temps:
Surface: 55 degrees
50’: 54.5
100: 54.2
150: 53.8
200: 52.7
This is at the shelf edge in 700’. There were breaking fish, 40-50lbs, in this area last Saturday.
Upvote 0

CaptChelsea

Aug 9, 2021
Santa Cruz
Name
Chelsea Watson
Boat
Akia
We tried to go out Saturday and turned back. Just was blowing hard out of the south. Water temperature was 54 and got up to almost 56 at the Monterey Buoy. White capping and ugly, not what was forecast. Ended up getting ten crab a ling and a large capizone off Davenport.

Upvote 0