mike mitchell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I am posting in the classifieds because I know this area has the most traffic. I am looking for Information on determining the age of a Dave Bell Custom Rod. I do know that he dated some of his work, so that's the easy part. So my questions are did he only wrap new blanks or wrap whatever the customer brought him? Did he do allot of weave work ? His ID plate changed, getting bigger does anyone know about when? Any information would be helpful.

cybercc

Sep 3, 2017
SFV
Name
Chuck
Boat
Nope
Dave was the best refinisher in the business, and holds true to this day. He would wrap and/or refinish anything, and sometimes charged by the Turk heads. Some of mine have 4 Turks, and custom reel seats he fabricated somehow. Almost a shiny black tar-like consistency...smooth but just sticky enough to hold the reel tight. His finishes were as good or better than any factory. Mine mostly wrapped 30 years ago have not even begun to decompose. Almost like new. At the time some frowned on him doing this, stripping and refinishing. But the proof is right on my wall. Guys who fish them will tell you the finishes are iron clad.

Dave sat in his garage smoking cigarettes, mixing stuff together to put on rods that nobody else knows about to this day. Maybe individual ingredients or chemicals sure, but Dave's mix was only his. He actually did some intricate threading, all different colors but not much weaving. His signature is black and white, but did all black, and red and white as well. Whatever was ordered and paid for. He enjoyed putting his name on the rods for sure, bigger or smaller text i dunno about when. He moved to Texas i was told and not much after that until he passed. His wraps are the best in quality and execution...the Moon of his day basically

themacs

Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
I have three Dave Bell rods left. All calstars and all wrapped in black and silver. Absolutely beautiful work. One is a 6460XH , one other is a 865XH and the last is a 6455XXH with all Bigfoot guides. They all look brand new. If anybody has an interest in any of them just let me know

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Interesting reading here.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
I know for a fact that he was noted for refinishing old blanks.....don't recall him doing weaves though, most of his wrapping was pretty plain jane imo.........
I disagree, he could do anything you asked for. I still have rods wrapped, refinished by Dave. IMO!

Reactions: mike mitchell

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
No. If you are talking about the trolling rod . These three crushed my budget.