Dauntless or Valiant 600 2-speed for Chunking?

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by Russ in Rockport, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Russ in Rockport

Russ in Rockport Newbie

Name:
    Russell Roberts
    Boat:
    None
    Folks,

I realize that both reels mentioned in the title of this thread were designed primarily for casting, but I am thinking of pairing either one with a little Braid Power Play X-Heavy, 5' 4" all-roller rod (rated for 80-100# Line)

Use: for use in chunking for YFT IN THE Gulf of Mexico.

Fish would run from 40# to 150#.

Would plan to fish 80# Braid on it.

What would you think of either reel for this use? I realize the Dauntless is heavier built, with twin-synced dogs as well as an ARB. But I am intrigued by the fact that Valiant would be approximately 10 oz. lighter.

Would the Valiant be too lightly constructed for. 150 pound tuna--or would the Dauntless be overkill?

Which would you choose--and why? Or is neither appropriate? (I already have an Accurate ATD 50W and an ATD--but what a dream either reel would be for lightness and lower back pai-especially the little Valiant.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Russ

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Those are both good reels but not ones I'd pick for your usage. I'd want different gear ratios -- you'd essentially never use the high gear when plunking and might want lower gears if you got onto a 150# fish. Maybe an ATD 12 or an Avet HX Raptor?

3. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Dauntless, I have three. Awesome reels. Going on three year and virtually maintenance free. Mist the entire reel with a (little) of Accurates GS1000 rinse and put it in the safe.

4. Russ in Rockport

Russ in Rockport Newbie

Name:
    Russell Roberts
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks, Gentlemen. Meant to say that I have the ATD 12. Just contemplating something lighter to go on the little rod that saves my aging lower back!

5. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    I am old everything goes on the rail.

Olddog8 likes this.
  6. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Have you looked at the Boss 30 or 30N? I use a Dawg 600N in the GOM with good results.

7. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    ditto on the Dauntless 600

8. Pete310

Pete310 Newbie

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    None
    Valiant 600 for me

IMG_8461.JPG

9. Russ in Rockport

Russ in Rockport Newbie

Name:
    Russell Roberts
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks again for your input, Gentlemen--I would definitely choose the Dauntless over the Boss, since the weight difference would not be that much. I do have the older 665H Wide as well--the forerunner to the current Boss Extremes--the earlier line that I have having experienced some problems. I sent two back before getting the current one that is largely unfished--Inthinknitnwikl be OK if limited to 18-20 pounds drag at full.

To answer another question, I don't think I need the 30 size since the 12 will handle the job if I want a heavier reel.

At any rate, I have the BV2-600 Narrow on order--should be here by end of August--loaded with 300 yards of 80# color coded line. This is going to be strictly my jigging reel.

I will hold off for now on the reels I asked you good folks about--rely on the ATD 12 for use the money I don't spend to actually go fishing...duhhh! Later, I will choose whether to go with the regular size Valiant after seeing how it's narrow brother handles a few blackfin--and hopefully an AJ or two. And if I feel that it is too light for the job (I tend to doubt I will), then Dauntless it will be!

Thanks for your advice--and my very best regards:

Russ

Tayfunmeric likes this.
  10. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Nice drags on the dauntless. I wouldn't mind having a dauntless 600n

11. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    I think either reel would be a great reel for your stated purpose. Although I am not totally with the method you refer to "chunking" having never used it, I am basing my thoughts on the reel design for your line and rod choices.The Valiant is as strong as the Dauntless based on the convex technology. I do know that multiple 150 to 200 pound have been successfully handled with the BV2-600.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Regards
    Al