daughter wacked a public land tom

madbuck22

Oct 13, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Last night we went out looking for birds. we found a tom with 4 hens. shadowed them for a 1 /12 hr till they flew up to roost. thought it would be easy the next morning, wrong. we set up where we thoght they would fly down. but they flew right over our heads 200 yds across a big ass ravine. tryed to call for awhile but they just kept moving away. so we decided to go after them. we had to do a big circle cause the ravine was to deep to cross 1/2 hr to do this. then i tryed some calling, heard hens calling so i told her lets stalk up to them. bam i spot the tom she saw it about the same 100 yds i told her to stalk him because he's with to many hens, got within 20yds when she motioned for me to stop. he's in full strut ass facing us she got within kicking distance when he spotted her boom. that was the closest shot i've ever seen. 3/4 inch spurs, 10 1/4" beard. i'm going to the city today and will drop off my camara to gatorfans house so he can post pics for me and post pics of the shed my wife found a few weeks ago. oh by the way as she was carrying her bird up this steep hill she was saying shopping,shopping,shopping. she said it helped her climb up the hill by thinking of shopping. girl stuff.

Upvote 0

IMAKECARSFAST

provider of protien
Aug 24, 2004
ramona
Name
Brian
Boat
22foot, glacierbay center console, REEL BROKE
hahahah nice job getting it done early!!!....

you have some problems with all that shopping shopping shopping... hahaha

what was the distance on the final shot?

Upvote 0

gatorfan

Chief
Dec 18, 2006
CV CA
Name
Jim
Boat
tube
Atta girl!!!:lux:

Good job getting her out (even though she doesn't like hunting ;))

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Very nice Mike! Congrats to her!! :cheers:

Just curious, are juniors allowed to shoot either sex in the spring, or do they need to abide by our reg's? I know in some places, like Vermont where I am from, youth deer and turkey are either sex, basically just letting the kids harvest an animal.......

Upvote 0

gatorfan

Chief
Dec 18, 2006
CV CA
Name
Jim
Boat
tube
IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Thats hardcore.. Hope my daughter can do that with me one day.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
That is a great picture! What a beauty. Way to raise her right!

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
All of the above + you should make a print of that photo, frame it and then hang a little blue "1st place" ribbon on it.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl: You've both got one to be proud of...

Upvote 0

madbuck22

Oct 13, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    Very nice Mike! Congrats to her!! :cheers:

Just curious, are juniors allowed to shoot either sex in the spring, or do they need to abide by our reg's? I know in some places, like Vermont where I am from, youth deer and turkey are either sex, basically just letting the kids harvest an animal.......
    no same rules apply

Upvote 0

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
    Jun 26, 2004
    With your Mom
    Name
    Jim Perkins
    Boat
    18' Center Console " D-Bar II "
    Right on Mike!!!!
    Congrats to the young lady, for shooting such a nice Tom!!!!

That shed is pretty cool too!!!

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Wow, what a bird. Trophy right there. Congrats to your daughter...

Great pic. I adjusted it a little bit...

Attachments

• IMAG0378B.jpg
      IMAG0378B.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 107
    • IMAG0378.jpg
      IMAG0378.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 111
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

madbuck22

Oct 13, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    well here we go again. roosted 4jakes 1 tom, about 7hens last night while the girls were still shopping. well this morning i told my daughter we need to get in early it's a little ways in. get in at 5:15 sat down about 100yds away from the roost. this was a spot a few miles apart from the last. as it gets light the birds fly down about 30yds away some hens bust us and start running away and pucking,i let out a few yelps and what luck the only tom turns towards us and busts out in strut. He just hangs out in a tight circle for awhile then starts in to us. at 20 yds i all shoot boom face plant. this one has 8" beard and3/4" spurs. i took pics on a new camera chip i had so i'll give it to gatorfan today or tommorow so he can post pics of her 2nd. i think she's done she says but maybe as the season pics up she might want to tag out well see. maybe a shopping bribe will do it. i don't even want to go into how much they spent yesterday, but it's enough to by a guided hunt for something shit. they took advantage of me being in a good mood.has anyone else been out with thier kids?

Upvote 0