ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Tore my rotator cuff from 11-6. Bone chip fracture and tore the tendon off the bone in a single blow. The surgeon was able to do everything through the scope. 6 months of rehab 2 hours a day every day. Starting 2 weeks after the surgery

Fractured cervical spine between 6-7 out 7 millimeters to the left from the same blow. 2 cortisone injections into the spine. Put you to sleep for that. Big needle

It was a heavy wave. Almost made it out of the triple up mutated tube

Rehab is very important. I cant believe I actually completed the program to the T

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Make sure you go to a Sports focused Dr who sees these issues often. Focused practitioners are much better and more experienced

Had might right rotator cuff done through the scope in 05 after abusing it as a kid playing baseball and then fast pitch softball. Need to get the left one done sometime soon, sublexed it twice in 3 weeks years ago and it’s just getting worse.

The sooner you commit and get it done the better and the sooner you’ll be healed and back on the water healthy. I agree with Jim it sounds more like an impingement then a tear. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZZZZ and BiggestT

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
Another rotator cuff experience. A year ago I was in near constant pain in my left rotator cuff. Being left handed just too many baseballs thrown and volley balls hit. To address the pain I started with shots, then PT and finally approval for an MRI. It seems insurances wants to try to solve the problem first before they will approve a MRI. I wish we started with the MRI because it told the story.....complex set of I ssues: 1) small tear, 2) arthritis, 3) spur, 4) bursa inflammation, and 5) the surprise was scar tissue from an old injury (that I do not remember). What to do? The good news was fishing movements did not create pain or aggravate the issues. I decided to wait and do nothing. I also workout 3 times a week doing a routine called BodyPump which is an hour of group workout of free weights and aerobics. In an hour you work the entire body and especially work the shoulders including the area around the rotator cuff. Best part.....year later the discomfort is almost zero and range of motion is about 95%...... For me the decision to wait and not have surgery was the right one but also keeping the BodyPump regiment going was the key. Surgery is not always the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K

greatbasin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
F it and fish on
Thats what Im doing with a 6mm tear.
I guess I should add I had one surgery on the same shoulder and I'm glad I did.
They re-attached a torn labrum, cut and reattached my bicep muscle and cut to open my A/C joint.
Again, very glad I did it, because I couldn't sleep and it was affecting my quality of life. So for now rotator cuff tear stays, because in comparison the pain is not as bad and I am still sleeping well.
I trying to adapt, as I age and figure other ways to do things, let's just say my days of throwing a softball are in the past, but that's ok because my girl got her scholarship. 👍

Reactions: BiggestT

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Word:

I have the top foot and ankle surgeon in SoCal and when I mentioned that my wife was staring at shoulder replacement surgery, he said John Itamura. I asked what about so and so and he said Itamura x3. My wife has an appointment coming up with Itamura, who is the team physician for the Dodgers.

For those who recommend delaying, when you have soft tissue issues that could alter the wear in the joint, eventually it will catch up to you in the form of osteoarthritis. Then you're staring at joint replacement. I (unknowingly) walked around for 18 years on a torn Peroneas Brevis tendon in my right ankle. Eventually the ankle started to collapse to the outside (Cavo Varus Ankle) and creating a lesion cartilage on the inside of the joint. I caught it in time to avoid joint replacement and fusion. Instead they did a rebuild with my own parts. Still, it's break out the bone saws.

It's been three years of surgeries and I'm recovering from the last in December, which was clean up work from the bone saw work the prior year: 1) Tarsal tunnel release, 2) nerve repair (damaged in the calcaneal osteotomy), 3) Achilles bone spur debridement. It will be months for the nerves to heal. I can walk, but it's never comfortable. I'm wearing steel shank Zamberlan Lynx hunting boots to work as I walk 3+ miles a day with stairs on my train/subway commute to downtown LA.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Good recommendation on a sports focused doctor. I used a surgeon who works on professional sports athletes.

In LA off of Hawthorne. Doctor Shrader is excellent. He completely fixed me. I later suffered another injury below the cervical spine fracture. No relation to the surgery

Shoulder and spine fracture feel normal

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
Suck it
Ive had a bum shoulder for the last 4 years
Ive fought thru the pain and done my own rehab on it. working out keeping it strong

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
F it and fish on
Thats what Im doing with a 6cm tear.
Pretty sure you meant to say a 6 mm tear. 6 cm is over two inches!

A full thickness tear is basically all the way through, a hole in your tendon. I’ve had both of mine repaired arthroscopically.

First one, right side, damaged as a result of a tumble, dominant arm went better than can be expected. Goes like this, bone spurs on bottom side of the screen acromion process, resection of the A/C joint to relieve impingement due to Arthritis, two anchors top of humerus and stitched supraspinatus tendon back in place. Great outcome, although it was pretty painful the first week after surgery. Instead of the projected 6 months to return to normal activities, it was 18 weeks for me.

Second one, left side, pretty much a carbon copy of the first surgery. After five months of rehab, exercise and P.T. I still had some pain. Therapist said, “Well, we do experience a 30% occurrence of retearing after these repair jobs.” Oh, thanks! Saw the surgeon, he ordered an MRI which revealed a successful healing process but a new, partial tear, underside of the same tendon. Not enough for surgery, and backing off from the exercise, letting things cool down, really helped. That second surgery was 6 years ago and only occasionally do I experience left shoulder pain, usually a result of working over my head, like when I changed the ballast in a fluorescent fixture.

Outcomes vary. I was fortunate enough to have a very skilled surgeon who specializes in shoulders. Pain medication was prescribed both times, and I was sure glad it was available.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Not rotator cuff, but labrum. Right shoulder, couldn’t raise my arm enough to get my hand behind my neck and couldn’t get my hand behind my back. MRI showed my right shoulder labrum were totally shot. Outpatient arthroscopic surgery, 4 entry points, pain pump and ice water circulation machine afterwards, then followed by physical therapy. Be3n over 15 years ago and I have been good as new. At least with that shoulder. Did have a sports medicine doctor/surgeon.