Dang shoulder

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Any Bloodeckers out there who've been through a rotator cuff deal? Mine's an issue since fall '07, and our posse is set for an 8-day in October this year on the Shogun. Do I just say F it and fish on, or are there surgeons or others with better advice? Life seems awful short, and like Terry Bradshaw says, we're all taking a dirt nap anyway...

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Had mine done in 97..........I was throwing a baseball 4 weeks later but it took about 6 months of rehab to get it back to where it needed to be. Depends on the surgery....scope and your fishing soon......invasive and it takes a bit longer.

Can you lift your arm over your head or does it get stuck half way up?

Get a MRI with the dye and see how bad it is

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Yeah, I can move my (rod) arm up above my head pretty good, but I can't make it rub on the side of my head like I can my other (reeling) arm. I see the orthopod in early February. I expect he will require an MRI. X-rays didn't show anything, so maybe it's the torn tendon and no bone spurs. I can cast a fly rod okay, but I don't think it'd be an all day deal. Pulling, as in pumping a boat rod, doesn't seem to hurt, but my physical therapist says it's bad. Pretty much rather die than quit fishing.

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
if you can get your arm over your head then my guess is that it is not a serious cuff injury.....sounds more like an impinchment. Expect the best and prepare for the worst ( which would be a surgery and rehab)

Regardless........you should be good to go on your 8 day and if it gets really painful.....advil or hand it off

In my case.....nows it's just a case of getting old.....but not to old

baeddy10

Big Daddy
May 6, 2007
Menifee, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Maybe one day.
I have had a partial tear in my cuff for a few years now. When the pain flares up I take anti inflamitory and normally it goes away in a few days. Normally have issues when I'm throwing a ball for a few days consecutively or fishing a lot. My doctors told me that surgery is 50%-50% that it would get better so think long and hard before doing it.
I would say this to you. If you have tried anti inflamitory and nothing seems to be working you may not have a choice but at this point you should have plenty of time to get better from surgery. One other idea would be to practice casting with the other arm just in case.

mango mauler

Aug 2, 2007
orlando fl
Name
charlie west
Boat
none
I have spurs in my lt shoulder,before my 10 day I got a cortisone shot with ultra sound and heat therapy,didnt kill ,it but I got thru the trip ok. I just live with it.

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat
17' Nitro
Year before last I had shoulder surgery. Both of my shoulders hurt from age and use but my right one was really painful. X-rays didn't show anything so they did an MRI and I had a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. Doctor recommended surgery so I did. It was orthoscopic. He offered to slice me open and fix my separated shoulder also but since that doesn't bother me (and recovery would have been longer) I went for the orthoscopic surgery. He said I'd be surfing in 4 months. Took 6 months to recover but it is much better now.

If I were you I'd see if you can get a cortisone shot right before you go on your trip and then schedule the surgery afterwards, if they think you need it.

Having one arm useless for a while is a real pain but if you're in pain all the time when you use it what else can you do. Since it was my right shoulder I had real problems doing simple stuff for the first month. Good luck.

kshredking

The King
Jul 17, 2007
colton
Name
scott
Boat
Someday
I had mine 6-28-07. My surgery was full thickness tear in my suprasprantius, 77% tear infraspranatus, torn labrum, and shaving of the acromion with 3 anchors. Just your everyday torn rotator cuff surgery. I was fishing about 2 months later, but couldn't cast. I am fine now. Still hurts to do a lot of things. I can throw a ball, but not very far like I used to and I now realize that I will probably have to change the way I throw to compensate, I mean no side-arm throwing, it would have to be basic step and throw. I am going to start playing ball again in the spring, so I will really find out then how far along I am. I can swing a bat and golf club for that matter, but my range still is not there. I would say I am about where i was before the surgery. I dealt with mine for 7 years before I did anything about it because I was misdiagnosed the first time with tendonitis so I dealt with it but it just kept getting worse until finally before a tournament I was taking some grounders and that was it. I could barely throw from 3rd to the mound (trying to throw to first). I got the ok to start fishing when I was in rehab on an arm bike that had a reeling motion, so I asked and got the ok. Needless to say while out on disability I got paid to fish (with ongoing fishing therapy just like the arm bike). I think you would be good to go before a surgery, but a little while after it> If your trip is in October than I believe that is plenty of time. It just depends on how much work the Doc has to do. I had a great surgeon who specailizes in sports medicine and is one cool guy ( not your typical arrogant s.o.b. doctor ) and a outstanding P.T. who put me thru hell for the better. If you don't go under than start working out now to strenghthen it up. Good luck brother.

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
About 3 months ago I ruptured my biceps tendon while weight lifting. That was my good shoulder. That tendon is continuous with the labrum and left my shoulder pretty unstable. My MRI arthrogram showed the rupture, labrum damage, and a partial tear of the rotator cuff. I was expecting surgery but he injected it with cortisone and sent me to physical therapy. I'm doing better. Yesterday I saw a patient in my office who had a rotator cuff repair in July, a revision in August, another in November, and still can't lift her arm over shoulder height. I won't be going under the knife anytime soon.

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
I had my left one done 15 years ago and it's 110% better. I had my right one done 6 months ago, and it's 110% worse. So, 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other.

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
Jun 3, 2004
Rancho San Diego
www.CalRealtySD.com
Name
Yusef
Boat
None
If they are bad, do not go through with the full hack opur shoulder open surgery. I had it done as my rotator cuffs in both shoulders aree destroyed. I have NEVER been the same since the surgery. I am not nearly as strong as I was originally in that arm.
It was Kaiser at the time that did the dsurgery. I woke up in more pain that I have ever been in in my life. Kaiser told me when I woke up that they dont give you any pain medicine until you need it. You would think after they cut your deltoid wide open they would figure you would wake up in pain.
I had to be hospitalized for 3 days afterwards. IT SUCKS. It was supposed to be outpatient.
Both my feet have 3rd degree burns and skin grafs on them from fire fighting. 3rd Degree burns & a BAD infection was a cake walk in a pain comparison and I was in there for a month.
THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT IT.

Group Fun

Dec 4, 2003
Ramona
Visit site
Name
Joe
Boat
Bayliner
I have a partial tear in my right cuff. Hurts like hell when Im throwing a ball, Doc said to have it fixed, I refused the surgery. I can fish, ride mx, do most of the things I love, it just hurts a bit.

Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
My ol' lady had a partial tear and she went through some rehab and she is good as new without a knife. It will flair up every now and then but she knows which exercises to do to get it strong again.

drdiesel

May 11, 2007
Escondido
Name
Thomas
Boat
when I win the lottery
Talk to a good ortho first, they saw mine in an x-ray, no mri! I was in so much pain, couldnt position it in any way to stop it. Had ortho-scopic as per the drs. suggestion, was back to fishin in a matter of weeks. Dont lay around, get it moving asap, day by day you'll feel the improvment. If they're cutting you open, it'll be months.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
You guys are great, for some really thoughtful replies. I turned 58 today, and it's doubtless age and wear and tear. I really appreciate your advice, and will be seeing one of the local shoulder orthpedists in early February. One thing I found out researching this is that about 30% of people my age have screwed up shoulders. No wonder there are so many folks on this forum with their own stories. I really appreciate everyone's advice, and I'll probably be real careful about arthroscopy and prob'ly steer clear of the more invasive surgery. I can still raise my arm above my head, so let's see what the doc says. I'm charging ahead on the 8-day Rocks trip!

Mark66

Jul 22, 2004
NCSD
Name
Mark
Boat
27' Cat
Happy Birthday Doug :beerbang:, good luck on the 8 day and the shoulder. My 02. is skip the roids, take the pain, it's better that way.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Here we are, 12 years later. I turned 70 on January 10. Bad shoulder from '08 turned out to be adhesive capsulitis: "frozen shoulder". Doc said it would need lotsa' PT and would take 18 months to get better. it took 18 months, and it got better. Now I'm way older, have to toss and turn at night to keep shoulders from getting too sore, but I'm still fishing, and still grateful for all the great, thoughtful replies from all the gnarly BD guys. Thanks, brothers, and I hope you're all still fishing.

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
Having had a partial torn rotator cuff (8mm tear) and electing to have my surgery(rotator cuff reattachment with 3 anchors) around 10 months ago, I can say that if I could turn back the clock I would not have had the surgery. I was in pain but knowing what I know now, a steady dose if PT and some anti-inflammatories would have probably been a better route. Im 43 and theres always a sharp reminder that i had surgery when performing certain moves.

I spoke with my doctor before my surgery and he gave me a Cortizone shot before leaving on a 5day trip 6 months before my surgery. It helped a bunch but after cranking all day it was sore but nothing a few advil and that “miracle” drug called ICE couldn’t take care of.

Everyones experience and situation is different and hope some of this helps you in your decision. Maybe PT the heck outta of it and grab a shot before the trip and reassess after you get back!! Good luck whatever route you go!!

Reactions: redbeard