Dana wharf 3/4 day Goes from shitty to pretty good day.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by crackerman, Aug 8, 2013.

1. crackerman

crackerman Newbie

Name:
    Graham
    Boat:
    Partyboat bum
    Yesterday sucked with half of the people at my site getting layed off as part of the second merger we have been part of in 14 months so I was looking forward to fishing today. Got a call at 6pm that the 5-5 was canceled for lack of people so I got moved over to the 3/4 day. So we set off on the 3/4 day this morning and we get to the receiver find out that they had anchovies, first time in a while. Finally get underway and capt says we are going to try some offshore alright! Well that idea dies as a 16 year old fainted and we had to take him back in. So we tried to find some more paddys but the water was chilly and no kelps were to be found. So off to bottom fish it was. I had only brought spinning gear thinking we would be surface fishing. So tie the bottom rig on and drop 280 feet and its sanddab city. Same at the second stop, same at the 3rd, seems like my day is going down. Well the 4 stop finally produces a couple of sculpin for me with one even being legal. Move to a 5th spot and we finally did good, lots of Bocacio being brought in, good sizes too. Decent amount into bags. Finally after a bit we moved more inshore to go for some bass but while the water was warmer than it had been for a while it was only 67 and finding legals to play was tough. So we finally pull up to head home and at the call for jackpot I hang the winner. So the day got better and the crew was great so I tossed 50% of the jackpot back to the crew.

TL;DR work sucked, went fishing, got bumped, crap bites till the end, wins jackpot, gives half to crew.

i-mBgBGWC-XL.jpg
    i-zPgwRVf-XL.jpg

2. crackerman

crackerman Newbie

Name:
    Graham
    Boat:
    Partyboat bum
    Anyone have a good ceviche recipe for sculpin?

3. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    better than work, glad you had some fun out there at least

4. JAYROCK

JAYROCK Newbie

Name:
    J
    Boat:
    23ft WellCraft CC 225 Johnnyrude
    Google "Anasakis worm". You will never eat uncooked (ceviche) bottom fish again. You can still make ceviche, with it. Just steam the fish first, let cool, then make ceviche as normal. That parasite is nasty, and being a deckhand for as long as I had, I saw them daily In just about every type of fish I cleaned. Tapeworms as well. Just FYI.

From Wikipedia;
    Anisakiasis is a human parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract caused by the consumption of raw or undercooked seafood containing larvae of the nematode Anisakis simplex. The first case of human infection by a member of the family Anisakidae was reported in the Netherlands by Van Thiel, who described the presence of a marine nematode in a patient suffering from acute abdominal pain. [8] It is frequently reported in areas of the world where fish is consumed raw, lightly pickled or salted. The areas of highest prevalence are Scandinavia (from cod livers), Japan (after eating sushi and sashimi), the Netherlands (by eating infected fermented herrings (maatjes)), and along the Pacific coast of South America (from eating ceviche).

5. huukup!

huukup! tight drag all day....

Name:
    M1BMF
    Boat:
    Does it float?
    FUCCCCK no wonder! i made it with rockfish and got bubble guts

6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good advice on the ceviche. I had no idea. Thought enough lemon juice would kill anything if it sits long enough.

7. JAYROCK

JAYROCK Newbie

Name:
    J
    Boat:
    23ft WellCraft CC 225 Johnnyrude
    So do I. But we took one of the worms, put it in a dish, and covered it with all sorts of stuff. Lime juice included. Would not die. Lived for two days in a pill bottle of lime juice. Makes sense really. It lives in your guts. Nastier acid there, than citric acid.

8. martman

martman Newbie

Name:
    marty
    Boat:
    I'll bring the beer
    For Ceviche...Get on huntfishcook.com and type in Cevichi. the mango style is killer....