clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    With a new moon, water temp. between 71 and 72 and a good downhill current, I thought it would be a good fishing day. My son and I left our slip around 8:30 am with frozen squid, plastics and jigs. The day was already hot and humid so we were glad to get out of the harbor and pick up speed to cool off and head to our usual scenes of crime.

There were mini bonito around 12- 13 inches and barracudas about 20-22 inches that could be had by plastic lures and jigs in many areas. Decided to anchor around noon time in an area about 65 ft deep and my sonar was showing a lot of fish. I finished my lunch (watermelon) and put all my baited lines out and chummed a little. For the next 1.5 hours if was non-stop hook up with every drop. So much fun! We caught sheepheads with cut squid and calico bass, on both cut squid and chunked mackerals that we caught on our Sabiki rig. It's has been a while for us to experience this kind of wide open bite around Dana Point. Ah this summer is going to end well!

20200818_192247787_iOS.jpg
    Our only regret was we did not land a single legal Calico! There were mostly in the 12 to 13 inch range with orange eyes(spawning?)! Where did their big mama and papas go? We kept a couple legal sized sheephead for dinner.

We must have caught around 40 fish before we ran out of bait and thought is was good excuse to call it a day. The wind picked up to around 10 to 12 mph and I got a little anxious sliding our boat into the barn.

I took a picture of a fish I have never caught before. I looks like a wrasse. Very colorful with a blue stripe. What do guys know of it?

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Sometimes those wide open inshore days are more fun than those hunting until you're dead offshore days.

Great job. Yeah, legal calicos are hard to come by nowadays.

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    It wasn't a rock, it was a Rock wrasse! Flyline those sabiki mackerel!

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

dougbenc

• Jun 15, 2020
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    N/A
    With a new moon, water temp. between 71 and 72 and a good downhill current, I thought it would be a good fishing day. My son and I left our slip around 8:30 am with frozen squid, plastics and jigs. The day was already hot and humid so we were glad to get out of the harbor and pick up speed to cool off and head to our usual scenes of crime.

There were mini bonito around 12- 13 inches and barracudas about 20-22 inches that could be had by plastic lures and jigs in many areas. Decided to anchor around noon time in an area about 65 ft deep and my sonar was showing a lot of fish. I finished my lunch (watermelon) and put all my baited lines out and chummed a little. For the next 1.5 hours if was non-stop hook up with every drop. So much fun! We caught sheepheads with cut squid and calico bass, on both cut squid and chunked mackerals that we caught on our Sabiki rig. It's has been a while for us to experience this kind of wide open bite around Dana Point. Ah this summer is going to end well!

View attachment 1187704Our only regret was we did not land a single legal Calico! There were mostly in the 12 to 13 inch range with orange eyes(spawning?)! Where did their big mama and papas go? We kept a couple legal sized sheephead for dinner.

We must have caught around 40 fish before we ran out of bait and thought is was good excuse to call it a day. The wind picked up to around 10 to 12 mph and I got a little anxious sliding our boat into the barn.

I took a picture of a fish I have never caught before. I looks like a wrasse. Very co lorful with a blue stripe. What do guys know of it?

It's a Rock Wrasse.. In the parrot fish family and VERY good firm white meat.. I find they make really good ceviche!!

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    try the barn kelp, it was wide open all day sunday, lot's of 2-4 #'s, also lots of YT swimming by though we couldn't get them to bite....

Good news. Any idea what size? Or depth?

I have had good luck in the past slow trolling with live Macks and Xraps outside what used to be the kelp line in that vicinity.

When the water gets warm, there are some breezers.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

flytie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    We were out yesterday looking for a rumor down south. Found what I think was the rumor on the up and down and got pushed off of the spot by fast moving fog.

Ran up to San Clemente/Dana and it was WFO on calico bass like I've never seen Dana go off. From monsters to shorts. Got tired of the WFO and decided to troll to a spot I think bottom dragons are. Never made it. It was as many bonito as you could want. Hit the jigs every 4 minutes, according to my wife/driver. They would blow up on the jigs and push them out of the water. Fun fun fun fishing.

Upvote 0

akunui

Almost A Member
    Jan 15, 2007
    oahu
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
    Sounds like Salt Creek back in the day in terms of the Calicos on Sardines...was so easy maybe it is now too

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

SemperFi75

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    SemperFi75
    Boat
    Semper Fidos
    ... only regret was we did not land a single legal Calico! There were mostly in the 12 to 13 inch range with orange eyes(spawning?)! Where did their big mama and papas go?...
    And I was waiting for the California Dreaming line. 😆👍

Upvote 0