Inshore Dana Point - Yellowfin, Yellowtail, and Dorado

Bill H.

Jul 6, 2015
Name
Bill
Boat
SeaPro 23.5 WA
Saturday my son and I had a late start out of Dana, about 9:30 or so. Went down the coast and found smaller bluefin jumping all around but couldn’t get anything to bite. We were throwing jigs, poppers, slow trolling and fly lining sardines, etc. There was so much life, with whales, dolphins, birds, and tuna all around.

We headed out to the 267 but found much less life out there. There were a few sport fishers out there who could probably find the paddies better than us. We trolled our way back into the original area and hooked up on a yellowfin. Not huge but decent and nice to get rid of the skunk! Not long after we found a small paddy where we fly lined sardines and got a small yellowtail and a bull dorado.

On a side note, we drifted off the paddy and were repositioning when the Helena sport fisher was coming towards us. Before they reached us, my son hooked up on the yellowtail and we could hear the captain telling the passengers that they were going to move on and leave the paddy to us. That was extremely polite of the captain. Thanks Helena!

Overall, not a huge catch but one yellowtail, one yellowfin, and one dorado made for an awesome day with my son.

20210821_134213.jpg

image000001.jpg

D
Donald keen
Good stuff 😃
Upvote 0
dave weiser
dave weiser
That is a great day spent with your son!!! Memories for a lifetime!! Good sign YF and dorado in our backyard. Shaping up to be a nice fall season
Upvote 0

Jerkmyquest

Aug 17, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Mike West
Boat
21' Hydrasport CC
few years back the patriot came in on a paddy i was fishing and after greeting his passengers i pushed off his stern not too to get hit probably should have ordered a hamburger, great for you and your son

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Is your hull light blue? I was in the Cabo 226 out of Dana when you guys pulled up to that foamer with all the birds and porpoises. We did almost the same as you but came home empty handed. Nice work!

Upvote 0

Bill H.

Jul 6, 2015
Name
Bill
Boat
SeaPro 23.5 WA
Is your hull light blue? I was in the Cabo 226 out of Dana when you guys pulled up to that foamer with all the birds and porpoises. We did almost the same as you but came home empty handed. Nice work!
Thanks, and yes, that was us. We saw you guys out there. You'll get them next time.

Upvote 0

aidang4

Aug 2, 2021
Name
Aidan Goltz
Boat
28 Marlin Grady White
Seems like an awesome day, consider yourself lucky for the sport boat not invading in!!! Killer report and well done!

Reactions: Bill H.
Upvote 0

Sandydog

Almost A Member
Mar 18, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Name
John Kim
Boat
n/a
Fished out of Dana Wharf on Tuesday aboard the Sum Fun. Normally their half-day boat, but being used for occasional full-day trips. I saw they pulled the Dana Pride off of whale watch duty and ran a full day trip with it on Wednesday, probably in response to increased fishing demand. (When I dropped by on Monday to ask for tackle recommendations, two people in front of me both inquired about full-day trips.)

Our day was pretty much the same as your report. Started off very slow with about an hour between paddies and each paddy stop producing 0-2 fish for the entire boat. Then according to the captain, a private boater invited us onto a paddy that they'd found. That made our day, with our final tally being about 2 fish per rod, with a 40 lb bluefin taking jackpot. So what goes around comes around. Captain made sure to remind us as we were leaving that it was all possible due to the generosity of the private boater (apparently their boat didn't have a name).

We were in the area between the 267 and 209. If you look at the water temps on tempbreak.com, you can see there's a band of slightly-warmer water right in there.

Reactions: Bill H.
Upvote 0