circlehook55

Almost A Member
Jul 22, 2008
Oc Cali
Name
Curtis
Boat
14',cobra, kayak, 22' Gregor
Left Dana at 0600 with Remington the plan to make macs for hoopin, fish for whatever we could and hoop the night.
Went to the Dana point inside the red buoy among the hundreds of commercial lobster pots. Water 56.6 some wind. Fished the kelp from the point to salt creek for macs, no macs.
Ran down to the big kelp bed south of the San Clemente pier. Fished for 2 hours no macs water 55.8 calm.
Ran to barn kelp and on the way found metal tube floating that was a hazard. Picked it up some type of Navy ordinace casing anybody know? See Photos.
At barn no love on the macs water 57 clear. Decided to make sand dabs to go with our salmon heads. Made sand dabs (bugs loved them) went inside barn to set up for hooping. 4 sets 30 mins soak each set. 8 legals 30 shorts and a shit load of eels. The wind came up at around 9 so I ran back in to Dana.
At the ramp DFG was there. Nice guy checked us verified our bugs looked at our cards searched my tool box. We talked to him said he had sighted the guy before us for 6 shorts. Asked him about the MLPA and he said they would be in the area from Laguna to the Dana Wall after the first.

Tight lines and Sharp hooks

Attachments

• tube 001.JPG
    tube 001.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 65
  • tube 007.JPG
    tube 007.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 56
  • tube 006.JPG
    tube 006.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 58
  • tube 005.JPG
    tube 005.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 67
  • tube 008.JPG
    tube 008.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    That DFG comment worries me... While there will be some kind of reserve from the point to Laguna the full fledged closuers will be from the hospital to Crystal Cove. I really hope we don't have to deal with DFG that doesn't know where the closuers are.

Just last week i got boarded and i had explain what species were what to the DFG officers.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Left Dana at 0600 with Remington the plan to make macs for hoopin, fish for whatever we could and hoop the night.
    Went to the Dana point inside the red buoy among the hundreds of commercial lobster pots. Water 56.6 some wind. Fished the kelp from the point to salt creek for macs, no macs.
    Ran down to the big kelp bed south of the San Clemente pier. Fished for 2 hours no macs water 55.8 calm.
    Ran to barn kelp and on the way found metal tube floating that was a hazard. Picked it up some type of Navy ordinace casing anybody know? See Photos.
    At barn no love on the macs water 57 clear. Decided to make sand dabs to go with our salmon heads. Made sand dabs (bugs loved them) went inside barn to set up for hooping. 4 sets 30 mins soak each set. 8 legals 30 shorts and a shit load of eels. The wind came up at around 9 so I ran back in to Dana.
    At the ramp DFG was there. Nice guy checked us verified our bugs looked at our cards searched my tool box. We talked to him said he had sighted the guy before us for 6 shorts. Asked him about the MLPA and he said they would be in the area from Laguna to the Dana Wall after the first.

Tight lines and Sharp hooks

Seen way too many of these canisters over the years.
    Went to pick one up years back, and out of the blue some BEEEEG rubber boats full of NAVY PEEPS showed up telling me not to touch it.
    Damn machine gun on the front of the boat scared the F outta me!
    See them always off Pendleton in-shore and off-shore below Pyramid Head at Clemente and between SCI and shore.

Upvote 0

circlehook55

Almost A Member
    Jul 22, 2008
    Oc Cali
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    14',cobra, kayak, 22' Gregor
    I rockfish all the time and have had the same problem with DFG not knowing species so I bought the DFG rockfish ID poster and put it on the side of my center console. Now if there is a question I refer them to their publication/photo and description.

Tight lines

Upvote 0