Riding High

Professional Curmudgeon
Feb 11, 2010
La Cresta, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2120 - Riding High
Left the slip about 9:00 with the plan on staying inside today figuring every kelp paddy had been pounded over the 4th. Pretty near flat calm and very overcast - In fact I don't think the sun poked through until about 1:30.

Headed to the kelp between SC Pier and San Mateo. Incoming tide, water in the 68-ish range. Water color ranging from clear to clear/cloudy. I fished swim baits (small red calico hunters) and picked off small to mid-sized bass while the wife made bait with a sabiki. By the way, those sabiki rods are worth every penny!

After a couple of hours of catching bass wifey says, "lets go offshore and see what we can find trolling." Well last night the wife said she didn't want to troll (she hates it) so I only brought the inshore tackle. We head out anyway and by now (about noon) it is getting a bit choppy but still no swells. The wind chop made it tough to spot any paddys so we start to head back. About 5 miles out I figure why not slow troll a mini mac for a while, so I hook one up on a 7' gloomis rod with a Penn 975 CSLD with 15 pound test (I know). Troll about a mile seeing no signs of life, no birds, no dolphins, when suddenly Zzzzzzzzzz something grabs the mac and starts running parallel to the boat about 25 yards out. Runs for about ten seconds then "plink" and it is gone. Never did figure out what it was.

Back to the slip, cleaned the boat up and then off to Taco Surf for late lunch/early dinner. I know some guys caught fish because they were cleaning them right outside the harbor.

Upvote 0

jimu

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2011
bellflower ca usa
Name
jim unger
Boat
stike zone
Left the slip about 9:00 with the plan on staying inside today figuring every kelp paddy had been pounded over the 4th. Pretty near flat calm and very overcast - In fact I don't think the sun poked through until about 1:30.

Headed to the kelp between SC Pier and San Mateo. Incoming tide, water in the 68-ish range. Water color ranging from clear to clear/cloudy. I fished swim baits (small red calico hunters) and picked off small to mid-sized bass while the wife made bait with a sabiki. By the way, those sabiki rods are worth every penny!

After a couple of hours of catching bass wifey says, "lets go offshore and see what we can find trolling." Well last night the wife said she didn't want to troll (she hates it) so I only brought the inshore tackle. We head out anyway and by now (about noon) it is getting a bit choppy but still no swells. The wind chop made it tough to spot any paddys so we start to head back. About 5 miles out I figure why not slow troll a mini mac for a while, so I hook one up on a 7' gloomis rod with a Penn 975 CSLD with 15 pound test (I know). Troll about a mile seeing no signs of life, no birds, no dolphins, when suddenly Zzzzzzzzzz something grabs the mac and starts running parallel to the boat about 25 yards out. Runs for about ten seconds then "plink" and it is gone. Never did figure out what it was.

Back to the slip, cleaned the boat up and then off to Taco Surf for late lunch/early dinner. I know some guys caught fish because they were cleaning them right outside the harbor.[/QUOT

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Never troll with 15 and a Mack. Big bait, big fish.

Way to make the wife catch bait while you fish. What is you secret? My girlfriend still makes me bait the hook and take off the fish.

Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Who says you can't catch big fish on 15 lb?
You can Kyle, but trolling a mack on 15lb makes little sense. Sure you can do it, but why? Use the right tackle for the job. However, if that's all you have, than by all means fish it. :D

Upvote 0