Dana Point Mako

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by LuckySSHC, Jul 18, 2010.

1. captjd

captjd Newbie

Name:
    Jeff "JD" DeVore
    Boat:
    Martuni Dos
    That fish might be over 250/300......That's pushin it. No F$CKIn way it went over five. The length/span of both my arms and chest is 62" and change. Congrats....but if you ever get that lucky again go ahead and hang it on a scale. And yes, they eat sea lions....Ponder that!

2. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Jeff did you see this video from July at Catalina ?

Friend of mine called me to identify it who works for Turners outdoorsman in Redondo lawndale Torrance boarders.

YouTube - Shark Attacks Seal Truline Charter

I have another video of one mako with three seals in it and a bird.

Heres the length mass chart.

Mako Length-Mass Chart

3. elpulkez

elpulkez FiShInG hOe!!

Name:
    jose
    Boat:
    SoOn!
    nice fish .

4. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    This comes up every time someone catches a big mako, and every time, someone has to be corrected........

From some of about a thousand pages on the web, all saying basically the same thing.......
    "The shortfin mako feeds mainly upon bony fishes including mackerels, tunas, bonitos and swordfish, but may also eat other sharks, porpoises and sea turtles."

"Makos eat schooling fish, including tuna, herring, mackerel, swordfish, and porpoise. They are opportunistic feeders, eating just about anything. "

"The staple food for the Short-finned Mako shark is fish, but it is an opportunistic hunter and will happily eat a wide range of foods. Among the most commonly consumed fish species are tuna, mackerel, anchovies, grunts, herrings, cod, Australian salmon, sea bass, swordfish and lancet fish. It will also eat other sharks, such as grey shark, hammerhead shark and blue shark. Other aquatic animals will be consumed if possible, and the Short-finned Mako shark is known to eat turtles and squids. The remains of mammals, such as dolphins, have been found inside Short-finned Mako sharks, but this is not very common."

--------------------
    They do not eat sea lions on a regular basis, not according to me, but according to 99.9% of the experts out there. They will on occasion take a sea lion if one is available, but it's rare (Keith says he's seen it ). So, can you people stop trying to dump on a guy for taking a really, really nice shark, by coming up with some excuse about sea lions...... :rolleyes:

Beautiful shark!!! Congrats on a fine catch, and have a few good meals!!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    ...and do you know what's funny about 99.9% of the scientific experts out there... they all get seasick!! What YOU need to be reminded of is that the ocean is a place that the experts know very little about. So really, take their word with a grain of salt, because I know that last week a big mako completely decimated a sea lion in a place that the "experts" would have said never would happen... 300 yards off the beach!

Now honestly I DON'T KNOW(but then again neither do the scientific experts) what type of meal strikes a large mako's fancy day to day... but I would have to give consideration to the fact that sea lions are probably the easiest meal a large shark ever could ask for here in so cal... sleeping on the surface 12 hours a day, little runt seals all over the place.

At least NOAA admits slightly that they have no idea either!:

So, it looks like the scientists only have two empirical statistics to work with when determining the diet of large mako sharks. Not really much data to draw ANY sort of conclusion with, now is it??

6. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen
    Yeah, fuck those charts. At 6'4 the chart says I should weight 220. But add in my balls,my dick(burritos!) and will to survive and I'm more like 350lb.Go figure. Congratulations on a great catch. I love those harry moments at boat side with the toothy guys!

7. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Interesting guys

Couple thoughts.

Scientist do not have to go to sea they have observers do it and have the comercial long line and gill net save and bring in the stomach contents.

Did you know there is a pod of Orcas that eat sharks named the LA Pod ?

They feed on great whites by grabbing them behind the head placing them in catatonic immobility and suffocate them then eat their two livers.

I belive the reason the LA pod eats sharks is because there are so many available
    just like makos with seals.

Makos can run down a seal allot easier than an ambushing Orca or white shark.

I have a video of at least one mako with severail seals in it and have easily seen 6 locally with seals in them.

I have seen marlin dolphin blue sharks in large makos but very little fin fish like mackerail.

I do not belive it's worth their effort and at a certain point they are forced to look to larger prey and there are not nearly as many blue sharks, marlin or swordfish around as there used to be and the seal population last I checked was increaseing by 13% annually.

There is another possible reasons sceintist know very little about our population of large makos in the pacific besides the fact So Cal is a nursery to mako blue white salmon & thresher sharks.

There are three diffrent populations of short fin makos in the pacific.

Most comercial gear can not hold them they rip it to shreds.

I have long lined with the CA DFG and shared with them how I was weighing and subduing live sharks for accurate data retrieval increaseing their data retrieval accuracy greatly while makeing it posibble to collect DNA and blood work safely.

This system is now widely use in many diffrent species and fisheries the world over including the great white expedition series on now makeing it posibble to attach 6 year tags.

I also shared with them a way to almost completely eliminate their long line morality rate by hooking the baits differently.

The comercial gear is designed to harvest the average size species available for many reasons.

Actually most of the larger makos research done on makos locally has been posibble from sportfishing contributions.

I only know of one mako that was a breeder that was caught long lining by NOAA and none by DFG.

Every fishery is diffrent and species size an prey abundance has an influence.

Where are most of the seals and where are most of the large makos caught ?

Humboldt's are Mako candy, seals are off the menu for bait.

Farmer Johns Barrels of Pigs Blood and just walk a calf down the dock on board the boat or stop off at the SPCA works every time lol

The sceintist go long lining on the David Star Jordan research vessel annually.

Here's some of their work.

Mako Shark | TOPP

I have been sponsored for scientific collecting permits with scrips noaa dfg doing research that lead to learning there is three diffrent populations in the pacific of makos.

I have had alot of sceintist on my boat and taught them how I was hunting resulting in them winning sportfishing tournaments release division winning alot of cash.

Some are stealth posters here.

I would give the sceintist the respect they deserve and understand it's a progressive understanding and seems some of what was posted including other fisheries and ours is quite diffrent, I do not belive they have seals in Florida.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Did you know they do not know how long makos live ?

The rat mako on my bait tank was the first recovery of a study to determine the life span that was tagged on the David Star Jordan.

I later used the weighing system to establish living apex predator records in the IGFA utilizing a was down hose in their mouth flowing water over their gills.

I have a video of part of it I will go find.

Anyone see the 130 pound catfish caught ?

OK here is the video with part of the weighing of a IGFA line class record.

I belive we did two threshers and one mako.

I belive if my memory serves me correct one was 95 pounds on four pound ?

Any way it was fun but not my deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tuUD3uIZg&feature=channel

Here is one on Salmon sharks if anyone is intrested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=434oxWwi8E0&feature=channel

Attached Files:

8. theclayishone

theclayishone theclayishone

Name:
    Clayton
    Boat:
    none
    Looks like there is a feud over who can copy and paste the best Mako research article...which is extremely gay.

9. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp

Gayest or most gay, Happy, joyful, and lively

10. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    yes

11. capnjackv

capnjackv Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Viking 57,Hatteras 52, Viking 65, Proline 27
    If this was a common occurence would we not see this happening more around Catalina with all the boat traffic there?

I had a small sea lion and a 550lb mako in my chum slick together a couple of weeks ago mako made no attempt at the sea lion. Pulled the hook on the mako.

12. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    This same thing happens with Killer Whales. Some are strictly fish eaters, some whale eaters, some seal and sealion eaters and some seem to eat anything including humans.

13. wkk

wkk Member

Name:
    will
    Boat:
    Edge Water CC/Hobie Outback
    Forget the shark.

Did you see SALUKI's avatar????

14. LuckySSHC

LuckySSHC Hooker

Dana Point, Southern California Uber Alles
    Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Kayak SS1
    Keith, thank you for all the info and insight.

15. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Right back a you Kris, have a great season

16. LuckySSHC

LuckySSHC Hooker

Dana Point, Southern California Uber Alles
    Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Kayak SS1
    i already am i just got back from cabo and caught my first wahoo and rooster fish, 3 days after this mako

17. b-fishinger

b-fishinger Harass the Bass!!!

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    Balboa Island Ferry/17 Montauk
  18. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Sweet love Cabo

19. johnny7754

johnny7754 Newbie

That's an awesome catch with the whopper stopper. good job.