Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2006
SC
Name
Chris
Boat
21' Parker - "Kingpin"
Email response received from Brenda Wisenski 11OCT21

"I appreciate you bringing this to the City’s attention. We are looking into the issue and are in contact with Harbor Partners who manages the harbor."

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Response I got

Hi Todd,

I appreciate you bringing this to the City’s attention. We are looking into the issue and are in contact with Harbor Partners who manages the harbor.

Sincerely,

Brenda Wisneski

Community Development Director

City of Dana Point

949-248-3560

Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    So I went to Dana Harbor launch ramp with my 17’ center console this August. It was Saturday at 6 am sharp. The attendant at the gate took my money and then said sorry the parking is full. You can launch but there is not a place for your truck and trailer. I launched, tied up, and then drove 3 miles and parked on the street. I walked back and left the dock at 735. That was a horrible experience. I didn’t complain and I tried to work with the attendant. Then, I look across the parking lot and just outside this temporary barrier is an acre of empty space that from what I recall was originally dedicated to the launch ramp. All I could think about is why are they limiting access to the water and reducing recreational opportunities for the public? I have a few boats, always spend money at the marinas, pick up about 10 balloons every time I go out. I’m not an idiot at the ramps.

OP - Thanks for the excellent and detailed code research. I will be emailing and calling all the involved, as we have to protect this resource as a public asset.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

flytie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    This is still moving forward. Had a conversation with the city today. Keep them emails and calls coming.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

moorefish

Jan 1, 2004
    SoCal
    Name
    MN
    Boat
    Any
    Spoke to Brenda. She was pleasant and receptive. Says they are aware of it and changes are in the works with additional parking coming. She seemed surprised that viewing the lot today reveals no shortage of available parking but I explained that this is more of a seasonal thing especially during weekends in the summer and fall. Thanks for taking the time to keep this alive using the proper channels.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    1982 Glastron SeaFury216 “Elizabeth”
    Spoke to Brenda. She was pleasant and receptive. Says they are aware of it and changes are in the works with additional parking coming. She seemed surprised that viewing the lot today reveals no shortage of available parking but I explained that this is more of a seasonal thing especially during weekends in the summer and fall. Thanks for taking the time to keep this alive using the proper channels.
    Not to mention fishing is currently banned…

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Just a quick update. Still working on this. A couple of meetings scheduled in the near future, both city facing and with others to push this forward. More when I have it.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Well gents, I'm not doing the happy dance just yet, but expect to be doing so in the next couple of weeks.

Met with Brenda Wisneski in the Planning Department City of Dana Point this morning and we discussed the issue of parking and boater access. She expressed that the marina was issued a violation letter on the parking very recently and that the marina is to return the parking to its original configuration (we viewed the maps to confirm our understanding).

The marina has a couple of weeks to comply. She also expressed that this was covered at a very high level; this wasn't lick a stamp and mail. A meeting was held with the powers at the harbor.

Good job, BD folks! A win is in our sights.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Well gents, I'm not doing the happy dance just yet, but expect to be doing so in the next couple of weeks.

Met with Brenda Wisneski in the Planning Department City of Dana Point this morning and we discussed the issue of parking and boater access. She expressed that the marina was issued a violation letter on the parking very recently and that the marina is to return the parking to its original configuration (we viewed the maps to confirm our understanding).

The marina has a couple of weeks to comply. She also expressed that this was covered at a very high level; this wasn't lick a stamp and mail. A meeting was held with the powers at the harbor.

You're gonna make HERO. status. At least I hope karma pays you back handsomely

flytie
    flytie
    Not a hero, buddy, but thanks. Just a guy who likes to fish out of Dana Point like many others. Everyone who stepped up by calling and writing are heroes in my book.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo

Thank you so much! I cannot express how important this is to the private boater community. Any more help you need, please just ask.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    OH LOOK A THUMBS DOWN FAIRY AGAIN!! LOL LOL

Great effort flytie! Great news!

Now we need you get started on opening the oil closure areas so we don't have to drive 12 miles to fish from the revamped launch ramp parking area.

CAN YOU DO IT? :oops:

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Great effort flytie! Great news!

Now we need you get started on opening the oil closure areas so we don't have to drive 12 miles to fish from the revamped launch ramp parking area.

CAN YOU DO IT? :oops:

Fishing opens on December 1st. What else do you need?!? :p

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    thanks for the update. great news! Boat my boat from Dana point this winter and that was the only time I went there as it was a weekday and it was crowded before the tuna fest started. Can't wait to give it a try next season...

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    thanks for the update. great news! Boat my boat from Dana point this winter and that was the only time I went there as it was a weekday and it was crowded before the tuna fest started. Can't wait to give it a try next season...
    There are 121 boater parking spaces now. When you subtract out the 22 that were stored long term there (which is also a violation and will be brought up this season) it leaves you with less than 100. The actual number is 400 boater parking spaces, which is what we are getting back. You should be able to go enjoy your day with family and friends on your boat on just about any given weekend.

the SLIDER
    the SLIDER
    Hopefully they widen the spots and open the spacing between the rows. That place is tight, lots of potential for trailer/truck damage.
    Upvote 0
    flytie
    flytie
    I'm waiting to see how they handle everything in the next two weeks.

Trust but verify.

After that we can address "comfort" issues. Right now I just want the friggin' parking back.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Parker 23

Hey thanks for putting so much effort into finding this badass loophole! Seems like these organizations only care about themselves anyways. Maybe the coastal commission will speed up the stack now lol

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Way to blow the whistle.

I sure hope they accomodate outdoor ocean positive recreation. And family and friend time.

Considering the city accomdates and spends a ton of money and time and resources. On people using their car for a home in home depot parking lot

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Hey thanks for putting so much effort into finding this badass loophole! Seems like these organizations only care about themselves anyways. Maybe the coastal commission will speed up the stack now lol
    The stack failed the permit process, so it is being totally redesigned. I'm guessing 2-3 years for resubmit and approval.

Upvote 0