SoCal_Fishing

Feb 3, 2018
Temecula
Name
Tobin
Boat
Float Tube
Hey guys! New member here and I can't wait for what's in store. Originally came from SD Fishing Forums. Dana Point Harbor is my go to for inshore fishing and I have fished the whole harbor. Never been to the two main jetties though. Anybody been? What do you use?
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 2.44.19 PM.png

Reactions: m_mcgourty

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
I used to dropshot along the inner jetty facing the bait receiver regularly. Great action on bass, halibut, barracuda, juvenile wsb etc. Some of the halibut I got were 24in+. Released everything.

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Bait barge for catch and release juvenile WSB or the docks for small calico and spotties..we have fished that harbor thoroughly..it's a little slow right now..if you get a chance, the Newport Harbor is a lot more fun, more fish etc..

SoCal_Fishing

Feb 3, 2018
Temecula
Name
Tobin
Boat
Float Tube
Bait barge for catch and release juvenile WSB or the docks for small calico and spotties..we have fished that harbor thoroughly..it's a little slow right now..if you get a chance, the Newport Harbor is a lot more fun, more fish etc..
Thanks for the update!I have never been to Newport Harbor. What works best there and where do you like to target the fish? I will look into that.

Sebastian Hong

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2015
Irvine, California
Name
sebastian
Boat
float tube
The jetty gets a lot of fishing pressure so they don't always bite great. but, there are still some fish, i find smaller lures like small mc bh or keitech swimbaits or drop shot flukes or sand worms work well for bass and halibut, also have caught rays, smelt and macks, juvenile white seabass, and some decent croaker

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
I fished the outside of the east jetty many years ago and caught a lot of jack smelt which all had worms. It just was not a pleasant experience between the stench of the bird droppings, the risk of slipping on the rocks, the challenge of not getting your terminal end caught in the rocks and the polluted water along that jetty.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
my understanding is you don't need a license from any public pier but you do need one for shore or jetties. I've been checked for license by dfg coming off of jetties in years past

Reactions: fishkillers

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
From DFG

Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate or crustacean in California, except for persons angling from a public pier for non-commercial purposes in ocean or bay waters. A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.