boxofrain

The lure of failure is irresistible
Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
Tommy David and I decided to take a lazy last chance for the final day of 2017. We ate a big late breakfast and meandered down to Dana after the fog began to clear around 10 am. Ir was a dedicated halibut trip, which can lead to naps in the cuddy. We picked up a half scoop of great sardines and headed down to the 120 foot depth off the San Clemente Pier. The wind was offshore and the tide was falling. We drifted and power bounce-balled sardines on 8 ounces of lead in slack conditions throughout the entire area but the fish were not on the bite yet.

We headed up to the barber pole area off Dana and marked a lot of activity near the bottom in 95 feet of water. We made a pass for a lizard fish and sand bass combination that ate each point of our trap rigged bait. Our leader was 25# fluro to a double set of red octopus 3/0 hooks. It was rigged to a triple swivel with a foot or so drop to the sinker.

We made another pass along the east candy cane buoy and got a nice 26 inch halibut. We were stoked. We ran uphill past the west candy cane to the flag buoy and made a drift in deeper water (the 120 depth we had mostly targeted).

We drifted about 100 yards east and got a vibrating bite on the starboard line. I put it in freespool and could feel the chew through the spectra. I pulled up slowly and the shaking began. We brought it up gently on light enough drag for it to take a little line and then glide into the net. It was 32 inches and had a lot more heft. We were happy to get these two and jam home, so we dumped a load of fantastic bait and made the five-minute run back to the harbor by 2:30.

It was a great way to close the lid on 2017. I told the boys we were going to dedicate a few targeted drifts for halibut to end the year (and risk boring the crap out of them....again). The Gods smiled on us and I am escaping the year with a payoff reminder to the lads that these trips can sometimes work out just like you planned it in your dreams.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND WISHING YOU ALL PISCATORIAL OCCASIONS FOR HOPE IN 2018
Halibut boys New years Eve 2017.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt Cosmo

Jul 27, 2011
Laguna
Name
Fernando
Boat
F-BOMB - Shamrock 200 pilothouse
way to go... nice fish.. I was out there yesterday, Saturday.. and got a late start.. I tried to make some macs but they were hard to come by.. got a couple and drifted the area outside the red buoy off the point but no takers... I'm gonna try again on News Years day...

Reactions: boxofrain
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Congrats!!! 95-100' of water just below the red buoy off the point produced a couple fish Saturday for us.

Reactions: boxofrain
Upvote 0