neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
It's been I while since I have posted. My son has been working and when he gets a day off, we have been doing freshwater fishing. After working on the boat on Saturday trying to fix a malfunctioning hydraulic lift, I was discouraged by my lack of success. Some Googling led to to a theory to try on Sunday (short the up-trim sensor), and I was so confident that I brought my fishing gear. I got it working, and was on the water and baited up by around 1pm. I fished the point for a couple of hours with no bites, then headed for San Clemente and fished in about 120ft of water. The meter showed no bait in the water, so I had doubts about this area, and was considering making a move. I drifted for about an hour with no bites, and then suddenly, I got slammed. I could tell it was big, and after it stopped fighting too hard I felt it was a halibut. I knew it would be a keeper and just had to figure out how to hold my rod with one hand and gaff it with the other. The first gaff attempt bounced off his head, and it was pissed. I started ripping line off my reel, which luckily had the drag set light. By divine intervention, I was able to get it back to the boat, and I told myself to relax a little, and sink the gaff. It was a success, and it made in in the boat. Weighed 22lbs. One bite in about 3 hours of fishing and I made it count.
Photo Nov 10, 4 27 43 PMb.jpg

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
It's been I while since I have posted. My son has been working and when he gets a day off, we have been doing freshwater fishing. After working on the boat on Saturday trying to fix a malfunctioning hydraulic lift, I was discouraged by my lack of success. Some Googling led to to a theory to try on Sunday (short the up-trim sensor), and I was so confident that I brought my fishing gear. I got it working, and was on the water and baited up by around 1pm. I fished the point for a couple of hours with no bites, then headed for San Clemente and fished in about 120ft of water. The meter showed no bait in the water, so I had doubts about this area, and was considering making a move. I drifted for about an hour with no bites, and then suddenly, I got slammed. I could tell it was big, and after it stopped fighting too hard I felt it was a halibut. I knew it would be a keeper and just had to figure out how to hold my rod with one hand and gaff it with the other. The first gaff attempt bounced off his head, and it was pissed. I started ripping line off my reel, which luckily had the drag set light. By divine intervention, I was able to get it back to the boat, and I told myself to relax a little, and sink the gaff. It was a success, and it made in in the boat. Weighed 22lbs. One bite in about 3 hours of fishing and I made it count.
View attachment 1087925

Great job, congratulation!

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Nice! Glad you got one. Good to meet you too. I’m the guy who was putting away the Grady White.

Reactions: neue
    Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    Hello Mike in Irvine from another Mike in Irvine. Congratulations on the nice fish, the local area has been slow lately. Where do you store your boat?

Upvote 0